Rude

Dear Mr. Next Door


"Do you have a name?"

 

c h a p t e r  o n e ;  r u d e

The day started to grow old, and the clouds were beginning to retire and combine. Seconds could have passed and soon enough big, black cloud would have formed, which would soon shred itself, changing into tiny droplets of the purest rain. Everyone was leaving to find shelter, except for one particular family, who was still standing on the streets lifting up loaded boxes into a huge lorry.

“That’s the most ridiculous idea I’ve ever heard, Mom.”

“You have no right to object, Hanna.”

“I still disagree.”

“Too bad you’re not the one making choices here, young girl.”

“Come on, Mom! I’m not moving out with you! Not again!”

“You are coming with me, whether you like it or not.”

Hanna groaned in the end. It was very upsetting. She tried to hold back her tears, and she succeeded somehow. She let her eyes roamed around; looking at the neighborhood, she believed she just moved in two months ago. Too bad, now her mother decided they should move out, again. The argument could go on and on every single day. To be honest, it happened quite frequently as days went after that. Just like what her mother said, Hanna had no rights to object but anyhow, she felt she did have the rights to voice out her thoughts. Just to voice them all out, at least. Thus, just like what she thought, the argument would end with her nodding in complete disagreement and her mom would be holding this huge virtual trophy, claiming her always-winning spot.

“We’ll officially move in next week, so pack your leftover things okay. Books and such, keep them in the boxes I left in kitchen. Make sure to get them ready by next week.”

There she went. Hanna’s worst ever nightmare, finally came knocking on her door. Could this day get any worse?

 “Tell me why we’re moving out this time…?” I asked, that time I was standing right in front of that same huge lorry with my things full in its trunk.

“Just because,” Mom answered, as simple as that.

Hanna raised her eyebrow in return, knowing exactly why. “It’s because you feel bored with our new house, you have spare money to buy one, and you need new inspirations for your new novel, blahblahblah, and you wanted to try living in a another house then, because it might increase your level of ‘workforce’.”

“That’s not called as ‘new’,” defended Mom, eyeing their house. Hanna scoffed instead. “Two months sounds old enough for you?”

“When you were two-months old, you were old enough to know where milks come from,” said Mom, half- heartedly.

Hanna was speechless then. “That…is disgusting.”

“No, it’s not. It’s a fact, and you have to live to accept it in that thick head of yours.” Mom said, flicking her only daughter’s forehead with her long fingers.

“Ouch!”

Hanna sighed in the end. She did not know what else to do. It just seemed crazy, to move out this much. She tried asking why, and the reasons were beyond insanity. Bored? That was all that she could come up with? Unbelievable!

“Hanna,” the 19-year- old girl turned around, only to meet with Mom’s softened eyes. “I know you’re tired living this way, but I hope you understand me more when you’re wise enough someday.”

Hanna kept shut this time, trying to understand her. However, she could not.

“You want me to understand the fact that you like changing places to sleep. That’s called wise?” she replied, and Mom got mad.

“Oh, never mind that!” Mom gave up.

In the end, the raindrops fell, and Hanna was left in the rain with complete devastation.

“What? You’re moving out already?”

“Like the cliché thing happen in movies, yes I am,” said Hanna, her cheek rested on her palm. Soojung sighed, then banged her head to the school gate. “But you just moved in. We never even had sleepovers yet.”

Hanna stayed quiet. Half of her heart just flew away, like it always did.

Hanna is a quite a badass, a person who only talks when needed to, and it needs to be with reason. People often call her as “The Smart Diva”, because she acts like a , and fortunately has a brain for hard-to-score subjects. People can’t blame her though, because she used to be so bubbly. Not until she starts moving out so frequently, she changes. She thinks it’s no use to have relationships, it’s no use to have close friends, she’ll end up ruining them with goodbyes anyway. However, meeting Soojung, is different. She was always there for her, and clingy too, but it was a good type of clingy. She baked cakes for Hanna, joined her in the library at noon although she hated it, swooned over guys whom she though were suitable for Hanna, and more importantly, the only one who understood Hanna the most, despite her y side.

Gripping her backpack, Hanna mouthed, “I’m sorry, Soojung. Seems like you have to find someone else to cling onto.” Soojung looked up and Hanna sighed. Though it sounded sarcastic, it wasn’t. It was really an honest remark said by her. A tear left Soojung’s eye, but she smiled anyway.

“Never. I’ll still be the best clinger ever, now I’m just giving you a break. You come here back one day alright. So that I can cling onto you like a selfless kitten again,” she warmly replied with this cute pout of hers, which caused Hanna to break down and cry.

Soojung gave her a big hug, and then wished her goodbye. “Goodbye, Hanna. Have a nice life there, and stop being so y. There’s only one person here who can deal with it. And that person is me.”

“I will,” was all she said before breaking the hug and getting into the car, leaving her new best friend alone.

 

5 days later...

 

 

“Last box coming up!”

Hanna jumped out of the lorry, which seemed more like a death truck. She never thought of leaving so soon, and this began to sicken her more than before. She paced along with heavy footsteps, looking around the place who looked more like a garbage gateway.

“It’s a nice place, isn’t it?” asked Mom, and Hanna did nothing. Not a word being said.

“Hanna?”

Still quiet.

 “Hanna, I’m sorry-“

“I’m gonna take a walk somewhere,” murmured Hanna as she took her hoodie up to cover her long brown hair, walking down the pavement in front of her new so-called home, which happened to be just a small room apartment in this one huge building.

Everything was fine when she was younger. They lived well in their home, and it was such nice eyesight. Back then, they were inseparable. Hanna simply thought she had everything – a good family, a nice house, great friends, and outstanding academic backgrounds. Now she was the so-called “Smart Diva”, because she changed after time passes. Her mother used to be a gorgeous-looking maiden who now worked as a writer, and her dad used to be this growing politician, but then decided to stay low as a lawyer, but apparently a busy one. Now her father never seemed to come home, and her mother became more controlling, and loved to change her mind. Hanna never knew the main reason why her mother liked to move out so much, but the fact that her mother was house-phobic, still despised her. She hoped her mother would stop, so that she could be herself once again, rather than keeping herself down so much. She always thought her life was like the cliché ones on TV, and sadly, she became tired to remind herself of an ending, the same useless ending without even a slight of plot twist in mind. It never grew old of course, it was just sad as per usual.

Walking down the streets, Hanna was somewhat surprised to see no one there. There were not any cars, or even people. The place seemed so quiet and remotely distant from the city itself. Having no interest somehow, Hanna hummed as she walked down the hill, thanks to the seemingly fresh air, and the calming presence of trees on the sides of the road. After a walking distance, something or maybe, someone, summoned her.

“Hey, mind to help?” Hanna heard a voice saying so, which caused her to take a step back. To greet her was a young guy, wearing a grey sweater and black jeans, probably the same age as hers, sitting under a tree with a lying creature on the grass. He was handsome, but Hanna seemed not to care about it.

She raised an eyebrow instead, looking at the guy in confusion. She then pointed her finger towards herself, blankly asking “Me?”

The guy, who was kneeling on the ground, his side facing hers, replied without even looking at her. “Yes, you.”

“What’s with me?” she asked and the guy just sighed, completely not amused with her behavior. Then he looked up, only to see a beautiful stranger standing in front of him, but unfortunately, she was colder than ice itself. Hanna, on the other hand, simply looked at him like he was just another lame guy who tried to kneel her in. He seemed so fine, though. Dark brown hair, long bangs, almost cover his eyes, dark hazel orbs, sharp nose, fit for his face, small pink lips, sharp chin, nice skin…

Perfect. But not to her eyes.

He looked up and muttered, “Nothing’s wrong with you. I just need you to help me with this dog over here.”

Hanna lifted her face up, trying to see the dog, but still not moving her toes. “He seemed fine to me,” she simply said, face blanked.

The guy laughed under his breath. Unbelievable, this girl. “No, he’s not; if he’s fine then he would be bolting after you and biting you down, genius.” He rolled his eyes, but Hanna still stood there, not even listening.

“Are you going to help me or not?” he asked, almost yelling.

“No,” she simple replied, blinking her eyes and looked at him as if he was just plain stupid to realize that.

The guy sighed instead, not willing to lose. “The dog’s dying here, the least thing you can do is help rather than standing there, genius!”

“Sorry, not interested.” She said and was about to walk away, until she heard him scoff. Unbelievable!

“You’re new here, aren’t you?”

Hanna glanced back to him, and simply bowed but with an empty expression. In return, the guy scoffed again. “No manners, unbelievable.”

“Whatever.” Then she abruptly left, just like that.

“Do you have a name?” he asked in interest, yelling this time.

Hanna did not turn around, and that made the guy mad. “Yah! I asked you a question!”

But she just left.

The guy, on the other hand, happened to be Byun Baekhyun, the guy who girls never turned down unless he did so first. He looked at her from afar and threw his arms to the air as he cried. “Gosh!”

For the love of God! That girl was rude!

He then looked down to his dog, eyes filled with full frustration, completely not amused. In an instant, he tapped the dog’s head continuously, before the dog finally woke up. “Wake up. Show is over. I can't get the girl's name.”

His dog then sat up and barked at him. Baekhyun nodded in defeat. “I know, I know. She left and I lost. You know what? Let’s go home before I piss myself.”

Little did he knew Hanna was trying to hold back her tears, despite being traumatized by the fact that she had officially moved in somewhere she wished she never been to.

From the corner of his eyes, Baekhyun could still see Hanna walking down the street. A small smile appeared on his face, and a chuckle came right in. She was pretty, but too bad, it was sealed with a frozen heart.

“Feisty.”

Then he left to his home, which Hanna failed to realize, just next door to hers.

“Hanna, I think I forgot to buy eggs,” said Mom, who was rummaging through the new fridge she bought for the house.

Hanna was reading a magazine on a couch, totally ignoring the mother. She did overcome her devastation, but it was never easy to move on anyway.

“Hanna, would you mind asking for some from our neighbor? Any neighbor would do, I’ve met them all, they’re nice people.”

Hanna groaned as she fiercely placed the magazine down. “Now?”

“Yes, now!”

Hanna reluctantly rose from the couch, and led herself nearer to the door, wearing only her sandals and with a lollipop in . She only put a sweater on, letting her hair left uncombed like that. She never cared if she looked messy and unorganized. She was imagining the neighbors to be old and annoying, making so many remarks like how she looked beautiful like her mother or how she would work as model or flight attendant instead of applying for scholarship to be a journalist or a doctor. Right in her pink pajamas, white sweater, and worn- out sandals, she walked out of the apartment and simply knocked a random door next to hers.

Knock! Knock!

“Who is it?” came a voice from behind a door, belonged to a guy, which Hanna simply forgot the familiarity of that voice.

Hanna her lollipop and lazily replied, as if she was reading a script, “My name is Jang Hanna, and I just moved in. My mother, Jang Yujin said she knew you, and she liked to ask if you could give us few eggs for us to cook for dinner, and we’ll surely pay them back. We thank you in advanced and we promise not to ask for more ever again.”

A few minutes passed, and then the door suddenly swung open. Hanna simply turned with a forced smile saying, “Thank you-“

Then her smile broke.

In front of her was Baekhyun, in his pajamas as well, who blinked in confusion as she was, with the eggs she asked for in a small carton right between his palms. “What the hell-“ he muttered.

“-for the eggs,” Hanna abruptly finished her sentence, eyes widened as big as golf balls.

Then the devil smile appeared, on Baekhyun’s face. “Hi there, genius. Or is it Jang Hanna?”

“,” was what she said soon after that.

A smirk was all she got. Little did she knew, Baekhyun took her wrist and pulled her into his apartment instead.

 

e n d  o f  c h a p t e r  o n e

words: 2442, unedited

Done with chapter one, yay! Finally. It's crappy I think, sorry guys :( but feel free to comment! Pleaseeeeeee. Let me know what you think, and I love each and everyone of them (that includes you dear silent readers). Thank you to the ones who subscribe, upvote and comment for now. I love you guys.

Anyway, until the next update, have a good day!