1/1

Lullaby

Lullaby


 

Jongin woke up to a smooth velvety voice whispering his name.

 

“Jongin…”

 

A little irritated because he was woken up from his sleep, he grunted in reply. He turned around saw himself face to face with his husband, Kyungsoo. He reached out for the lampshade on the bedside table and took a good look at the clock beside it.

 

12:45

 

He grunted again. It’s still so early to wake up. He hasn’t even slept for at least two hours.

 

Turning his attention to Kyungsoo now, Jongin saw a face full of distress and the dark bags slowly forming under Kyungsoo’s eyes tells him that his spouse has not gotten even an ounce of sleep.

 

“Jongin,” Kyungsoo called his name again.

 

“What is it, Kyungsoo?” He replied voice induced with sleep. He shifted to a sitting position resting his back on the headboard and placed Kyungsoo’s head on his shoulder.

 

Kyungsoo buried his face where Jongin’s shoulder meets his neck. “I can’t sleep,” he said snaking one of his arms into one of Jongin’s.

 

Jongin clasped Kyungsoo’s hand and gave it a comforting squeeze. “Why? Is something bothering you?”

 

“Nothing really.”

 

“Then what is it?”

 

Kyungsoo placed a hand on his visible baby bump and started rubbing it.

 

“To be honest, I don’t know but I think it had to do something with my pregnancy.”

 

Jongin got more worried this time. “You’re not yet—“ He was unable to finish his sentence as Kyungsoo cut him with no’s.

 

“I’m still too early for that!” Kyungsoo chuckled as Jongin let out a sigh of relief. Kyungsoo thinks Jongin is so cute being innocent and worried his lips formed in pout. “Actually, it’s just that my back is aching a bit. But I guess it’s normal when someone’s preggy?”

 

Jongin let out a heavy sigh. “So, um, what do I do?”

 

Kyungsoo just shrug in reply.

 

Jongin let out another sigh. He doesn’t really know what to do- both of them are new to this, Kyungsoo being pregnant and having to face the consequences of it.

 

 

Both clueless on what they will do, Jongin and Kyungsoo just leaned on each other, Jongin tracing soothing circles on Kyungsoo’s baby bump. They bask on the silence of the night and listens to the sound each other’s breath and the low whirring sound of the air conditioner.

 

“I guess I’ll just have to not sleep tonight,” Jongin said breaking the silence between them. “If you can’t sleep then I’ll join you in not sleeping.”

 

“What? N-no way! You still have work tomorrow. You need to rest,” Kyungsoo said firmly albeit worriedly. “I’ll deal with this myself.”

 

But Jongin is persistent and told Kyungsoo that he will stay awake with him until Kyungsoo gave up and let Jongin do what he wants. They stay awake for an hour just cuddling, whispering sweet nothings and planning what they would do when their baby comes out- from the things she would wear to the name they would give her.

 

“Jongsoo?” Kyungsoo asked looking horrified. “That sounds like a guy’s name! Plus I asked you to give our baby a name not a couple name for the two of us.”

 

“Hey- but don’t you think it’s cute?” Jongin said lips forming into a half frown and a pout. “She’ll be carrying half of our names.”

 

Kyungsoo chuckled at the idea and continued to disagree with Jongin.

 

“How about Haneul?”

 

“Haneul? As in heaven?” Jongin asked.

 

Kyungsoo nods enthusiastically. “Because she’s a piece heaven sent to us.”

 

Jongin smiled at the thought and agreed naming their soon-to-be daughter, ‘Haneul’. “That’s a really pretty name,” he said and repeats the name again and again liking how it sounds in his ear.

 

He started talking to their baby through Kyungsoo’s baby bump asking her if she likes the name they would be giving her. A gentle kick in Kyungsoo’s tummy was what they received in reply startling the both of them and making them giggle.

 

In the end Jongin decided to just lay his head on Kyungsoo’s chest and at the same time rubbing his husband’s baby bump with soothing circles. Without knowing it himself, he started humming a song- probably only to himself- as he continues to caress Kyungsoo’s tummy which is why he is a little surprised when Kyungsoo asked him to sing him a song to sleep.

 

“B-but I’m not as good as you when it comes to singing, Soo. You know I’m only confident in dancing.”

“That doesn’t matter, Jongin. So sing me a lullaby please?” Kyungsoo pleads.

 

Jongin stared at his husband for a while as if telling him to stop, and not make him do this. But he realized that Kyungsoo have been singing him love stories, of promises of a beautiful future, of lullabies,  without hesitation whenever he finds it hard to sleep that he gave in and sang Kyungsoo a song. It was the same song the smaller man always sings to him when he has a hard time sleeping at night.

 

“Only because I love you, okay?”

 

Jongin’s voice was low and nasal and a little shaky at the start. It isn’t the most beautiful, nevertheless, Kyungsoo likes it. Likes the fact that he can make Jongin, who is never confident with his voice, sing. He found himself singing along too and somehow their voices are harmonious with each other. In the end, he just hums along as he settles his head on Jongin’s chest the vibrations on it as the latter continued to sing lulling him to sleep. Slowly he felt his eyelids getting heavy and in no time, he is off to dreamland dreaming of Jongin singing him a song.

 

He threaded his fingers on Kyungsoo’s tuft of soft raven hair massaging his scalp as he continues to sing the smaller man a lullaby. He started off insecure but gained confidence as he continued to sing the song especially when Kyungsoo joined him. Soon his husband is fast asleep making soft snores with each breath. And with one last song, Jongin whispered Kyungsoo an “I love you” and a “good night” before pulling the blankets over the two of them and hugging the smaller man to his chest   

 

 

 

Jongin laid Kyungsoo beside him making one of his arms a makeshift pillow. He watched him sleep and looked at each features of Kyungsoo’s face making them precious memory- something he will never find himself tired of. In the end, Jongin decided that he won’t sleep and just watch over Kyungsoo. He would just have to deal with sleepiness with tons of caffeine tomorrow. After all, it’s Kyungsoo’s well-being that comes first.

 

As he stared at the sleeping figure of his spouse, he wondered if Kyungsoo fell asleep because he sang him a lullaby or because his voice isn’t nice that Kyungsoo decided to just sleep it away. He cringed at the thought of the former. If ever Kyungsoo would ask to sing him a song next time, he would have to think it twice, thrice. But maybe, just maybe, he’d sing him a song again and he’d be better next time – only because he loves him (and that’s a reason fair enough).


[a/n]

Wow so, um, after 8 months of not writing, I finally posted up a story.

And wow a so much fail one. Wow. Ha. Ha.

;;;