Snow, Coffee and Misteltoe

Snow, Coffee and Mistletoe

It is the blistering cold, terrible boss and desolated coffee shop that Kyuhyun had cursed his Christmas this year and he, with god’s help, hopes that this won’t be such a bad thing at all. He dearly hope so because Christmas should be a fun-filled and cheery season, ’tis the season to be jolly. Or so he heard in one of the cheerful carolling before he entered the shop and got stranded for almost forever.

 

He can’t argue anymore, since Heechul asked him to stay watch and continue their service overnight, until he come in the morning for the next shift and he can spend the rest of the Christmas for himself. He starts regretting after accepting Heechul’s concordat and he sulks at the idea of drowning himself to caffeine and keep his eyes open for any customer, crazy enough to stop by the store.

 

 

Kyuhyun is busy cleaning the table tops for the second time that evening and he glances at the street with blizzard wrapping the now white roads and lampposts. It would be a miracle, and he knows the cable wires won’t be harmed since it’s nearing Christmas Eve, that someone would actually buy coffee in this ungodly situation.

 

Another point to ponder, who on the right mind would drop by for a cup of coffee on Christmas Eve under a blizzard? It’s just too bad that the snow squall was a kill joy for the holidays and for his holidays, goodbye for now laptop and game controllers, and hello, with much dismay, coffee beans and darn it, did he hear the bell, tingling opening?

 

He pays no much attention as he slowly heads for the cashier counter. He hears the man let out a sneeze and he feels bad for him because clearly the small man with rosy lips, beaming eyes, pointed cheeks and ruffled hair looks utterly cute, and oh yes, abjectly. 

 

Kyuhyun shakes his thoughts and offers the man a box of tissue he grabbed under the counter. 

 

“Here,” Kyuhyun says and the man beams at him in return.

 

“It is chaos,” the man mumbles while looking at the menu and Kyuhyun nods at him. He can’t totally tear his eyes off the man with pretty features hidden under the dark green coat and grey sweater with red scarf. He’s cocooned inside the pile of his clothes and yet, he still look so dashing and cute and squishy. Kyuhyun urges himself from pinching those cheeks that screams temptation.

 

“I’ll have a double chocolate frappicino,” the man tells him and Kyuhyun quickly grabs a big mug knowing that he will stay for as long the snow squall tells him to.

 

“I’ll bring it to you once done,” Kyuhyun tells him and he slightly fidgets offering a donut or waffle to go with his drink. He almost squeals to himself when the man nods along him and he smiled the entire time while preparing the customer’s order.

 

 

 

“Here you go,” Kyuhyun utters lowly as he approach the man sitting against the palisade and staring at his right to see the street still in mayhem. 

 

The man smiles at him while reaching for the donut and having a small bite. “Thank you,” he adds as he drinks hurriedly for his chocolate. Kyuhyun wasn’t quick enough to warn him that the drink was too hot and before they both know it, the man had spilled some frap on his shirt. 

 

“Oh my,” the man muses as he puts down the mug and wipes it off with the tissue. He looks at Kyuhyun and they continued staring before a light and warm set of laughter filled the cafe. 

 

“Looks like you’ll be staying for quite some time,” Kyuhyun comments as he offers another tissue to the man. The latter smiles at him widely and nods.

 

“My name’s Ryeowook,” the man introduces and Kyuhyun reaches out a hand for a shake.

 

“I’m Kyuhyun. I guess you’ll be stuck here with me?” Kyuhyun defends nonchalantly.

 

“I guess pretty much,” Ryeowook beams and Kyuhyun starts thinking that maybe this year’s Christmas won’t be that bad. Especially when he has Ryeowook, a bit too clumsy yet undeniably pretty, for a company.

 

 

Kyuhyun is clearing out the trash bin after a big group of teenagers turned the cafe into a nasty havoc. The blizzard died down a couple of minutes and people swarmed in like kids looking for cotton candies. He glances at the clock and it’s past 11 when he totally forgets Ryeowook. He looks behind him and finds the latter curled in the comfortable couch, hugging his coat and sleeping peacefully.

 

He smiles to himself and peers his eyes closer to see that Ryeowook is fidgeting terribly under the coat. The dim light in Ryeowook’s place sets the dandy mood to fall asleep and Kyuhyun can’t blame him because a while ago, their peaceful and wonderful conversation had been disturbed by hurrying students who wanted to go home and managed to drop by for coffee even before the blizzard comes back again. He had to stop himself from strangling the young lads from ruining his almost perfect night. 

 

 

 

After making sure he had locked the front door and slid down the metal bars, he saunters towards Ryeowook and shakes him lightly. He opens his eyes and Kyuhyun blushes slightly at the sight. 

 

“Hey, you should wear this,” Kyuhyun pushes him and he sits up straight while reaching for the grey thick coat Kyuhyun hands to him.

 

“Your coat is soaking wet,” Kyuhyun tells him and he offers a dry blanket to wipe off the remaining droplets on his skin and face. And not to mention, hair.

 

“I had nothing with me,” Ryeowook tells humbly, “Thanks anyway.”

 

Kyuhyun just shrugs and watches as Ryeowook wears the coat. “You closed the shop?”

 

“Another blizzard will happen, I don’t think there will be another madman entering the store. Besides, Christmas Eve is almost near, everyone’s practically home,” he tells Ryeowook as he sits beside the man and drapes the blanket over them.

 

“I’m sorry. We don’t have too many blanket. I hope we can share?” Kyuhyun says shyly and Ryeowook beams at him. He leans closer Kyuhyn and stares at the chocolate orbs glancing at him with much intent. 

 

“I like that,” Ryeowook replies and Kyuhyun surprises himself as he grinned back to Ryeowook and instinctively wraps his arms around Ryeowook (well, proportions wise, he’s bigger and has longer arms). Ryeowook leans closer against Kyuhyun and grips the man’s sweater as they hurdle their legs up the couch and bask into the warm.

 

“You’re lucky I’m good-looking,” Kyuhyun mumbles at him as he glances at the clock on one nook. 11:56. “Most of my girl customers drop by because they adore the barista here.”

 

“I didn’t know you can be this cocky,” Ryeowook laughs and he pushes himself closer, feeling the warmth radiating from Kyuhyun’s chest and arms, “But you are good-looking. Facts can cover up your disdain.”

 

Kyuhyun smiles and purses the hem of the blanket behind Ryeowook’s arms. They stay silent for a while, against one side of the cafe, on the big and comfortable couch the place has, with two empty mugs and plate now clean after devouring a couple of waffles and stories that promenade the store. He tells him stories about different customers that drops by the cafe and all different attitudes he had to endure. He later finds out that Ryeowook is a music instructor and was supposed to be on his way home but missed the last bus trip and had to walk home. But then the snow squall came and his miserable life had turned to be more miserable.

 

Ryeowook learned that Kyuhyun is actually a gentleman, offering him more warmth, if ever possible by leaning closer, pushing most part of the blanket towards him and rubbing his hands against his arms if he starts fidgeting again. He also learns that Kyuhyun has a cute smile, a dreamy lavender and honey scent that he can’t help but inhale every time Kyuhyun would slightly brush against him after a couple of back rubs and he can’t help but point that Kyuhyun has this interesting shampoo. Ryeowook argues inwardly if it’s possible to pay more attention on Kyuhyun’s shampoo rather to tolerate his heart racing every time Kyuhyun would look at him. Ryeowook soon finds out that he has a crush on the barista and he begs for all the music gods and goddesses of barista that Kyuhyun likes him all too well.

 

 

 

 

Ryeowook lets out a yawn and Kyuhyun shocks them both when he reaches out a hand and wipes the tears from the corner of his eyes. He lifts his hand away and he fights the urge of blushing and squealing right in front of Ryeowook when he notices that the latter was smiling shyly and flustering. He must’ve been so embarrassed too. But Kyuhyun can’t just help it. Ryeowook’s just too darn gorgeous!

 

“Why don’t you go get some sleep? I’ll wake you in the morning,” Kyuhyun voices out as he stands up and lets the blanket slip off them. Totally feeling guilty and shy and stupid for everything.

 

Ryeowook, now Ryeowook, didn’t know what had gone to his fabulous little mind when he stretches out for Kyuhyun’s hand and pulls him back to the couch.

 

“Stay. We can both sleep, since you’ve closed the shop,” he tells him quite bravely yet Kyuhyun can clearly notice the crimson red stain on his cheeks. He nods instead and wraps them with the blanket and he leans against the couch, bringing Ryeowook near him and letting him lean his head against his chest. Couple of silence, a few hums of Christmas songs and Kyuhyun’s fingers tapping against Ryeowook’s neck, they both falls asleep, hugging each other to feel the warmth under the blistering cold Christmas night.

 

 

 

Kyuhyun wobbles and cracks an eye open feeling his entire body tenses from the sitting position and outstretched legs on the table just to accommodate him and Ryeowook in a better sleeping position. He glances at the man against him and he smiles to himself when he catches Ryeowook’s angelic face, sleeping peacefully in his embrace.

 

He leans near and pulls the blanket closer. He brushes his lips accidentally in Ryeowook’s cheek while doing the entire process and he bites the insides of his mouth when Ryeowook stirs awake.

 

“Hey,” he says much calmly this time after tucking the blanket and hugging Ryeowook close.

 

“Merry Christmas Kyuhyun,” Ryeowook flashes and Kyuhyun melts at that beautiful smile. 

 

“Merry Christmas Ryeowook,” Kyuhyun replies and both of them stare at each other in awkward silence before a loud knock bolts them both and Kyuhyun shakes back to reality. Heechul is stammering hard against the glass door, instructing him to open the store.

 

He stands up hurriedly and tells Ryeowook to wait for him. Ryewook nods and fixes his clothes feeling quite bad for missing Kyuhyun’s warmth.

 

 

After minutes of explanation and horrendous reasoning Heechul accepted his excuses and Kyuhyun feels quite happy that Heechul had taken everything easily and without much probing. Well, most especially towards Ryeowook. He thanked Santa and Christmas for sudden metanoia.

 

After removing the black apron and rushing out the kitchen, he searches for Ryeowook but frowns when he found no Ryeowook in sight. He walks out the store and catches a glimpse of a small frail frame about ten steps aways from him. He dashes towards Ryeowook who was still wearing his grey coat. Kyuhyun grabs a hold on Ryeowook’s wrist and the music instructor turns at him with confusion.

 

“I thought I told you to wait for me?” Kyuhyun asks, eyebrows making a bridge while looking down at Ryeowook who was staring at him with quail.

 

“I thought, you know, you would just forget,” Ryeowook mumbles incoherently and even before he realises it Kyuhyun is leaning closer. 

 

Kyuhyun doesn’t know what happened to him but he feels that it is the most appropriate and right thing to do. He cups Ryeowook’s chin and leans down connecting their lips in a chaste, warm and light kiss. He steps closer, squeezing the space between them, crashing his lips more perfectly while placing a hand at the back of Ryeowook’s nape. He feels Ryeowook’s head leaning up and wrapping flimsy and wobbly arms around his neck.

 

They part from the kiss and they are both blushing when one kid says quite jolty, “Look! A mistletoe!”

 

Kyuhyun looks up and Ryeowook laughs. “You know what they say about misteltoes,” Ryeowook muses and Kyuhyun smiles back at him, leaning down for another kiss, this time more fitting and passionate and valid.