Final

Lonely Christmas

Christmas. Christmas, it's the holiday everyone loves, a time for joy and a time for cheers. A time when families gather around the table eating Turkey and exchanging gifts. A time when couples walk the snow covered streets decked with Christmas lights and sound of carols softly playing in the background. There are also some that celebrate this festive season alone, having each their own personal reasons why they decide to separate from their loved ones and celebrate alone, maybe they are overseas or maybe they just love being in solitude. 

But, Taekwoon isn't someone who loves to celebrate this lovely season alone. Okay, maybe to other people, he looks like someone who loves being alone, his cold expression and feline eyes that seem to burn your soul makes people feel that way, but no. To even more people, he looks like someone who actually celebrates it alone, but again no, he does have someone to celebrate it with.

Taekwoon tightened the pretty gold ribbon on the gift, he got up and gazed at the photo frame hanging on the plain white walls of his home, his eyes fell on the cheerful boy standing beside him in the picture, his soft black bangs sweeping just above his sparkling eyes, a wide smile plastered on his face. 

Taekwoon smiled back and let out a sigh as memories of the boy flooded his mind.

Shaking away the thoughts, he grabbed his coat and gift and left the house.

It was snowing outside, the delicate snowflakes falling gently from the evening sky painted the ground a beautiful white colour. Taekwoon walked slowly along the lighted streets, his hands buried in the confines of his pocket, together with the small gift, taking in the pretty sight of Christmas decorations hanging on the doors of shops, humming softly to the tune of the Christmas songs. 

The hustle and bustle of the city streets faded to the quiet   suburban ones with only the sound of the soft winter breeze.  Taekwoon walked into a large garden, the area marked by several blocks of stone,covered by the falling snow. He walked straight all the way and finally came to a stop in front of one of the stone blocks. Kneeling down, he swept away the layers of snow until his hand touched the icy gray stone with a tiny photo embedded in it.

Taekwoon ran his thumb over the surface of the photo, brushing of the tiny bits of frost to reveal a face. The very same face in the photo he hanged in his house. The same photo just without Taekwoon. Just only that smiling boy. 

Taekwoon took out the small gift from his coat pocket and placed it gently, on the ground beside.  

"Merry Christmas, Hakyeon." He smiled at the photo, before sitting down on the grass, his back leaning against the side of the stone. 

"It's your favourite holiday of the year, my love." Taekwoon sighed, his breath billowing from his mouth in the form of a white cloud. "And you would always beg me to walk you around the city. You loved the lights, the Christmas trees and the Santa standee outside the candy store." He smiled. "Oh and the lovely carols you would force me to sing." Taekwoon let out a tiny laugh. "I think you missed that don't you?" Only the soft howl of a passing breeze answered him.

"I should sing your favourite one. You loved 'jingle bell rock.'" Taekwoon smiled.  "Jingle bell, jingle bell, jingle bell rock~" Taekwoon sang, the wind carrying his melodious voice to the heavens, hoping Hakyeon would be able to hear him. As he sang, he could imagine Hakyeon swaying gently to the tune and clapping to the beat, just like he'd always did every Christmas, and by the end of the song, Taekwoon was sobbing, choking out the last of the lyrics. The thought of never being able to do it with him again hit him hard. He turned around, wiping away his tears, he picked up the gift.

"It's time to open your gift! I bought you the bracelet you wanted." Taekwoon said as he unwrapped the red paper to reveal a small gray box. He opened it, taking out a thin silver bracelet. His heart just shattered, eyes becoming watery again as tears just poured down his cheeks and this time, he did nothing to stop the flow.

"You told me last year this very same day that you wanted this bracelet." Taekwoon started, his voice cracking. "But I was short of money that time, so I promised you one day I'll buy it for you and place in on your wrist personally." He choked out the words. "And I fulfilled the promise of buying it!" Taekwoon dangled the chain bracelet in front of Hakyeon's photo, his heart swelling with pride before collapsing back into a broken mess.

"But then you left, you left and I can't put it on your wrist. Everyday I cry, for leaving that promise incomplete, I regret, Hakyeon. I should have bought it earlier." Taekwoon cried. "I know you must probably be very upset up there, I'm sorry Hakyeonie. I'm sorry for not fulfilling my promise to you, I'm a bad boyfriend Hakyeon." He sniffed. Placing the bracelet in front of Hakyeon's grave, Taekeoon walked away, crying into the snow. "Merry Christmas, Hakyeon." Taekwoon gave one last look at his boyfriend's resting place and went off, trudging through the thick snow.

Somewhere in the wind, a gentle voice, barely audible against the howling wind and pelting snow, echoed.

"Merry Christmas, Taekwoon."

 

 

 

 

A/N:  Once again, Merry Christmas everybody! I hope you get lots of presents, and most importantly, you got what you wanted! Have fun with your families!