1/1

Whirlwind

 ‘Silence,’ that’s the only word that was crossing in my mind as I closed my eyes and felt the wind touched me gently on my cheek. I leaned my back comfortably on the old bench and slowly opened my eyes. Then, I stared at the afternoon sky and realized that the sun did not really show up its light since the gloomy cloud hid its presence behind. Again, I could feel the feeling of emptiness and loneliness were surrounding me at the same time. I knew that I always felt lonely whenever I was here all alone at the school’s rooftop; but still, I kept coming to this place right after the classes. I knew it did not sound normal for a junior high school boy being all alone here and spending his time gazing longingly at the afternoon sky instead of hanging around with his friends after school; but still, I kept telling myself that it was okay for me, since I found out that I was ‘different.’    

Later on, when I noticed that the sky was getting gloomier than before, I decided to go home. I was about to turn my gaze away from the sky when suddenly a flying object caught my eyes. I was in a dazed and froze at my spot as the flying object was getting closer and closer toward my direction. “Is it a UFO? What if, there is an Alien inside that?!” I said on my mind.

BANG…

The flying object crashed into the rooftop’s wall with a loud thud. I looked at the object terrifyingly when a whirlwind was coming from the object. Slowly the whirlwind changed into a creature, a boy to be exact. The boy had a pair of mysterious brown eyes which were gazing intently at me. A black robe with hood covered his body except his well-sculptured face. 

“Hello there,” he greeted and smiled at me.

I was really taken aback after I heard that he was able to use human language.

“Hello,” he spoke again while walking closer toward me.

“H-Hello,” I stuttered as I stepped back made a gap between us. I really did not know what to do, it was always hard for me to communicate with other people, and moreover he was also a person, no, an ‘alien’ whom I just met.

“Are you scared of me?” he frowned and slightly pouted.

“U-um, yes kind of, a-are you an alien?” I asked him hesitantly.

“Alien?! Perhaps yes,” he chuckled a bit, “But, I prefer to be called Sehun rather than to be called an Alien,” he added.

“Sehun?” I muttered his name softly.

“Yes, well then, who are you?”

“I-I am Luhan,” I bit my lower lip to lessen my nervousness. Unexpectedly, he stretched out his hand and said,

“Well, Luhan, let’s be friend!”

I just stared at his hand and contemplated whether or not I should shook his hand, this was really new for me because there’s nobody who asked me to be her/his friend before.

“Okay,” I grabbed his hand and shook it. Then, he beamed at me and I just stared and smiled a bit.

“Um, Sehun, I think I should go home now,” I realized that it was going to rain soon. I took my bag and slowly walked toward the rooftop’s door.

“Okay then, see you tomorrow Luhan!” he waved his hand.

“Yes, see you!” I said softly as I looked that Sehun changed into a whirlwind and disappeared.

‘Finally I have a friend!’ I whispered as I went down the stair.

 

***

 

It had been a week since I met Sehun. He was always there whenever I came to the rooftop; I did not know where he stayed, but he would definitely appear as soon as I sat on the rooftop’s bench. I also realized that this was the first time I could get along with other ‘people’ besides my own family.

“Where is he?” I muttered as I sat on the rooftop’s bench

SWOOSH…

A whirlwind suddenly appeared and changed into Sehun.

“Hey, Luhan,”

“Hey, Sehun,”

“As expected you are here alone again, well, don’t you have any friends, Luhan?” he asked me curiously. Hearing his question, I hung my head down and felt a little bit bothered by his question.

“Well, I have a friend, you, Sehun, don’t you say that we are friends right?” I looked up to see him who stared back at me with unreadable expression.

“Yes, I am, Luhan, but I think you should try to open up yourself, it’s not that hard to make friends,” he said while giving me a reassuring smile.

“No, it’s really hard for me… it’s not like that I am an anti-social person, but it’s just… it’s really hard for me to get along with other people, I really want to…but I can’t, I always think that I am different,” I looked away.

“Believe me, it’s not that hard, Luhan; all you have to do is just simply to greet or talk to them, so do you want to try?” he said and patted me on the shoulder.

“I don’t know…,” I said honestly. I was really afraid that people would give me a weird look if I started to talk or greet them.

“Hmm, very well then, ah, I’m sorry, Luhan, I have to go now,” he sighed, after that he slowly transformed into a whirlwind and disappeared.

SWOOSH…

‘Is he mad at me?’ I thought, because he never left me before I decided to go home. A moment later, I decided to go home and left the rooftop.

As soon as I left the rooftop’s stairs, I headed toward the school’s corridor and I saw, Baekhyun, my classmate, was in a trouble to bring a pile of papers. I remembered that Mr. Kim, my biology teacher asked him to arrange those assignment’s papers and brought them to his room.

SWOOSH…

A whirlwind suddenly appeared besides me, I was really shocked because Sehun never showed up except at the rooftop.

“Sehun, what are you doing here?” I questioned his appearance.

“Well, it doesn’t matter, hey, why don’t you help your friend over there? He is having a trouble bring those papers,” he pointed at Baekhyun. I really wanted to help Baekhyun, but I was afraid it would be awkward if I offered him my help.

“I…d-” I had not finished my speech, when suddenly Sehun, moved an empty bottle of mineral water by his telekinesis ability and placed it on the corridor’s floor right before Baekhyun stepped on it and fell down. I widened my eyes, when the papers Baekhyun brought were spread around him.

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING, SEHUN?” I glared at him; but he just shrugged and blew a small whirlwind toward Baekhyun until it made the papers spread around in total mess.

“Well, what are you waiting for? Go help him!” he smirked at me and pushed me toward Baekhyun.

I stood behind Baekhyun who was busy picking the papers on the floor.

“Uhm…L-let me help you, D-Baekhyun…,” I crouched down and helped him pick the papers. Baekhyun looked really surprised with my sudden appearance; but, he finally nodded and smiled at me.

“Sure, thank you!”

***

After Baekhyun and I put the papers in Mr. Kim’s desk, we walked in the corridor awkwardly. None of us was trying to initiate talk.

“Thank you, Luhan, You are really a big help,” Baekhyun muttered softly. I really did not know what to say at that time.

“Uhm…n-never mind, Baekhyun,” I finally managed to reply Baekhyun. After that, the situation back to silent until we arrived at the school’s gate.

“Uhm, Luhan, where do you live?” Baekhyun turned his body to face me.

”Uhm… on 5th Maple street,”

“Wow, my house is on 12th Maple street, I don’t know that my house is just seven blocks away from your house, well then let’s go home together!” Baekhyun said cheerfully. I stared at him in disbelief.

“Sure!” I nodded and smiled at him.

“Yay, Let’s go!”

I really did not believe it, ‘I finally have someone to accompany me home!’ I thought.

15 minutes later…

“T-This is my house, Baekhyun,” I stopped in front of my house’s gate.

“Ah, okay then, once again I really thank you, Luhan!” he bowed at me and began to leave.

“Luhan!!!”

I turned my body when I heard Baekhyun shouted my name from a far.

“I THINK WE CAN BE FRIEND!!! Bye-bye, let’s go to school together tomorrow!” he waved at me vigorously while walking backwards.

“YES!” I shouted and also waved at him.

‘Friend? He wants to be my friend?’ I could not help but to smile widely. I really looked forward for tomorrow. 

“Sehun, thank you! You are really my hero! Tomorrow, you will not see me alone at the rooftop anymore!”