Final

Not Alive - Not Dead

Kyungsoo bows once again to the guy in front of him.

"I’m sorry," he says hurriedly. "I really didn’t mean to." He doesn’t look the man in the eyes, he just keeps bowing, hoping for forgiveness.

Normally Kyungsoo wouldn’t be like that. He would probably just scream back at the man screaming at him, if this didn’t have anything to do with anything important. Right now his job is depending on this.

The man in front of him points to a point at his shirt. “This just ruined my shirt,” he hisses at Kyungsoo.

"I don’t see anything," Kyungsoo mumbles to himself. He tries to squeeze his eyes together a bit, to see if it makes him able to see anything. It doesn’t.

"You don’t see anything? Are you blind?" the man screams at him. The man turns towards one of the other employees in the restaurent. "I want to talk to the boss of this place!"

It takes a couple of minutes before the employee - Kyungsoo doesn’t remember her name - reacts. She stutters a reply and moves quickly.

Kyungsoo still can’t believe the customer in front of him. He had - by a mistake - walked into him, and now the customer was mad at him for spilling juice on his shirt - juice which Kyungsoo hadn’t even touched, and juice which he couldn’t even see on the shirt.

That’s how Kyungsoo lost his job, and his bad day started.

Kyungsoo regrets it as soon as he did it. Why did this have to happen today? He shouldn’t have looked up.

'Well..' Kyungsoo thinks. Now that he has looked up, he might as well keep doing it.

It’s not that he looked up he regrets. It’s that he looked at the boy on the other side of the street. That’s the only thing that he shouldn’t have done. Not today at least.

When Kyungsoo looks at the boy again, he’s on his way towards him.

With a deep sigh, Kyungsoo stands up and walks the other way - away from the aproaching boy.

"Wait!" The boy yells. Something in his voice makes Kyungsoo stop. He turns around and looks at the boy.

The boy is tall - taller than him at least - he hasblack hair - most koreans do, Kyungsoo thinks - other than that his skin is tan.

Though Kyungsoo won’t admit it to himself, the boy looks quite good.

Before the boy is able to say anything, Kyungsoo starts talking. He doesn’t try to hide that he’s annoyed, and that he doesn’t like the boys company.

"Yes, I can see you," Kyungsoo says, knowing exactly what to say. This isn’t the first time he tried something like this. "The reason why only I can see you is becase I’m weird and you’re dead. Now cross over and leave me alone." With these words Kyungsoo turns around again, and walks away.

Yes, Kyungsoo is able to see ghosts. That’s the reason he lives in this small city. There’s rarely anyone who dies there, and when people die, it’s old people who crosses over right away.

When Kyungsoo has walked for a while, he decides that the boy probably left by then. That’s why he’s surprised when the boy suddenly is in front of him.

"I know you won’t belive me, but I’m not dead," the boy says.

Ofcourse Kyungsoo doesn’t belive him. None of the ghosts he has talked to said they were dead. They just don’t belive the truth.

"What’s your name?" Kyungsoo sighs.

The boy looks at him, surprised. It was unexpected that Kyungsoo didn’t just send him away, or ignored him.

"Jongin," the boy says. "Kim Jongin."

Kyungsoo nods knowingly - although he didn’t know.

"Listen Jongin," Kyungsoo starts. "I understand that you don’t want to be dead, but too bad. That’s how it is."

It’s clear that he doesn’t have any sympathy for him. To be honest, he doesn’t care at all. He only wants to get hom and sleep - that way this bad day will end.

"But I’m deffinetly not dead," Jongin says, "Not yet atleast."

Kyungsoo looks at him. He’s not sure what to say and just settles for a “You’re either dead or alive”.

Jongin shakes his head, sighing, annoyed. The only thing he wants is Kyungsoo to help him. He wants Kyungsoo to belive him and help him.

This is the reason Jongin chooses to tell Kyungsoo his story.

"I’m not dead, but not really alive either," Jongin says. Kyungsoo is about to say something, but the ghost is faster. "I’m in a coma."

He waits for the older boy to say something. When he doesn’t he decides to say more.

"I got stabbed and ended up like this. I’ve been looking for someone who could see me for days now," Jongin says. "I’m afraid my body can’t live that much longer."

"What do you want me to do?"

"Help me get back to my body?" Jongin answers. He’s afraid that Kyungsoo will say no. If he does that, Jongin doesn’t know what to do. Then he might just prepare himself to die for real.

"How in the world did my day become like this?" The older of the two asks himself. When he woke up this morning he had felt great. He had expected a great day to be in front of him. Now he had lost his job and he had to help a ghost - which he hated - once again.

Kyungsoo takes a deep breath. He knows that he’s the only one who’s able to help the ghost.

"Let’s try to go to the hospital?" Kyungsoo suggests. He decided that he didn’t want to be the reason why Jongin died for good.

"You’ll help me?" Jongin asks, excited. He hugs Kyungsoo - who can’t feel anything because; ghost.

"May I know where Kim Jongin is?" Kyungsoo asks the woman at the front disk in the hospital.

The woman looks at him. It looks like she tries to figure out who he is. How could she know though? They don’t know eachother.

"Are you related to Kim Jongin?" She asks as she looks at him over her glasses.

Kyungsoo doesn’t know what to answer, but luckily - or not - Jongin had an idea. Kyungsoo just said what Jongin suggested!

"I’m his boyfriend," he said - he cursed Jongin for not being able to come with an other suggestion.

"Oh," the woman said, "Then.."

Kyungsoo looked at Jongin. They were in front of the door, where Jongin’s body should be.

For some reason Jongin hestitated with walking through the door. He turned toward Kyungsoo, and looked him in his eyes.

"Will you stay around until we’re sure I’ll wake up?" Jongin asks in a small voice. He doesn’t really know why, but he wants Kyungsoo to stay a little longer. It’s probably because he’s afraid that he wont wake up, but that Kyungsoo is definitly his style could also be a reason.

"Sure," Kyungsoo agrees - he doesn’t know why he says yes so easily. Jongin being his style might be a reason though. "I’ll just wait here."

He sits down at a chair, while he watches Jongin disappear through the door.

"Hyung?"

Kyungsoo doesn’t know how long he slept, but he knows that he could very well sleep a bit more.

"Hyung?"

He opens his eyes only to look into another pair of eyes. His breath stiffs a bit, but returns quickly to normal when he realizes who it is.

"Jongin?"

"Yes! I made it hyung," Jongin says excitedly. He smiles a big smile which makes his eyes smaller. Kyungsoo kind of likes it - only kind of! He also kind of likes how Jongin calls him hyung, he doesn’t even care how the younger knew he was older than him.

"Well, then I’ll leave," Kyungsoo says, getting up from his seat. His neck and back hurts a bit from sleeping in a chair, but he ignores it.

"Wait!" Jongin stops him, "Would you care to have a cup of coffee with me? Just as a thank you?"

Kyungsoo agrees to it. Maybe it wasn’t so bad meeting Jongin after all.