First Impressions

-and-Bull

 

 

"You're late." A peeved voice remarked. A woman around the age of 29 stood with her arms crossed standing above the younger woman in front of the door to her house. 

"I'm very sorry," the visitor bowed sincerely. The woman snorted then left cueing her guest to enter. "Wow. All this for being 3 minutes late, really?

"I have to admit, you were not the person I was expecting when I contacted you. I imagined you being older." The hostess commented, gesturing for her to sit once they arrived into the living room. 

The young guest refrained from rolling her eyes and answered as politely as she could. "I hear that often."

"I'm sure you do. Now--" she paused as if trying to remember something. "What's your name again?"

"It's Hyun-Ae, ma'am." 

"Hyun-Ae..." she responded expecting more.

"Just Hyun-Ae, please."

"Okay, Just Hyun-Ae, would you like some tea?" she offered. Her guest made a small sigh and nodded then was off to the kitchen.

Hyun-Ae sat on a couch in the living room, alone, recollecting the reason why she was sitting here in the first place. She had received an urgent call sometime last night requesting to meet at this house for 7 am. She had lost something very important and wanted someone to find it as soon as possible. She often received calls like these. It was her job after all. The woman must have found the ad in the random corner of the newspaper or either ripped a piece off one of the ads she posted around the city. The ad went something like this:

 

Have you recently lost something precious and want it found?

Contact Hyun-Ae. She will find it for you.

Will not search for weapons, drugs, or missing people.

 

Then under that would be her number and email. She mostly received heaps of emails since most people tend to fear the phone nowadays, but from time to time she would get calls. Most of her clients often told her in their kindest words that she sounded older, but what they truly mean is that she appears juvenile. If she had a picture next to the ad, she probably wouldn't get as many job opportunities. She knew that, though, finding normal jobs were a hassle because of it. This is where she had to turn to; a person tracking people's misplaced items. People like this woman here who couldn't even bother to remember the name that was printed clearly on the ad. 

Hyun-Ae sighed once more before her client returned with a tray obtaining her fine tea set. She most likely wanted to present her status. Her home did appear to be quite extravagant now that she thought of it, and she was in Cheongdam-dong after all. She set the tray down on the coffee table between them before seating in the armchair across from her. 

"Well now, let's begin. I have to depart soon for an important conference."

"Yes," Hyun-Ae nodded then cleared . "What is the issue?"

"A couple of nights ago, I attended an elaborate party, north of Apgujeong-dong with some colleagues and a few friends. I was dressed well for the occasion; I wore my best dress and accessories," she began as Hyun-Ae reached over to try the tea. She lifted the teacup to her lips and took a sip. Her expression remained calm, but on the inside, she was enduring everything she had.  The tea was absolutely horrible. This wasn't the first time she was offered terribly made tea, so remaining professional about it wasn't unusual. She set the cup back on the saucer and nodded along to her client's story. "The night was splendid, however; I came home realising I was missing something precious. My bracelet."

"If it was stolen, it's better to go to the police for that. Catching thieves is something I do not do," Hyun-Ae interrupted with a slight cough still reacting to the beverage. 

"Let me finish please."

"Sorry, I just wanted to make that clear first. Please, continue."

"Thank you," she said before clearing . "Yes, well I was wearing this bracelet all night at the party. I clearly remember leaving with it, so I don't believe it was stolen. It may have dropped somewhere on the way home." She paused in order to take a sip of her own, of course, she was unaffected by it. "That bracelet has gone through generations, and I simply cannot lose it now. I need you to find it."

Hyun-Ae's eyes focused once she heard the words she was most anxious to hear. "Very well then."

"Do you need anything like a picture of it or..."

"I don't need anything, but your wrist," she replied. The woman's eyes widened, and she grasped her right wrist, most presumably where she usually bears the accessory.

"My wrist?"

"Yes, the one where you wear the bracelet on."

"Yes, but why do you need my wrist?" 

Her guest sighed and held out her right hand. "Just stretch your arm out, please. It will only take a moment." The woman held out her arm hesitantly watching as the girl grasped it then close her eyes.

Hyun-Ae could see it. A slim, shimmering, sterling silver bracelet with a mixture of elongated hoops and links with a classic T-bar fasten. She gently twisted her arm in order to get a clearer picture of exactly where it was. It took a few seconds for her to feel a cord tugging at her mind and she followed the wire. The scene was bright from above, but her vision was blurry.  She could feel something cold envelop her body from all around and she suddenly held shut, afraid to breathe. Her ears picked up the sounds of cars and people speaking, but these voices were muffled. This feeling she knew it all too well.  She snapped her eyes open, released her hand and spoke calmly.

"It's outside, submerged in water." The woman in front of her blinked in confusion. "You said you were at a party in the north of Apgujeong right?" Her client nodded. "Then I have an idea where it is. I will find it for you," she assured. "I'll be going now." She had a deeper connection to the bracelet; she could feel the thread eagerly tugging, wanting her to come and find it. 

"Y-yes. If you do find it, let me know right away."

"Of course." She nodded with a soft smile.  The woman escorted her to the door and she was off on her red and black bicycle zooming through the streets of Cheongdam-dong. Apgujeong-dong wasn't too far, and it was a lot easier getting there by bike than a car during the day.

The thread she was following was invisible, but she could sense it, and for all, she knew she was the only one who could. Everyone has lost something, but Hyun-Ae was the person who could find anything and everything, even people, but that's a whole other story. She was this way for as long as she could remember. If she ever misplaced anything, she knew exactly where it was. For a long time, she thought she just had a really great memory or luck, but it wasn't until she could find other people's belongings just as easily as she could find hers, that she realised she was gifted. It didn't matter which way it worked either. She could find lost items and trace them back to their owners, or owners could ask her to find them. She had never failed unless the object was stolen. Finding stolen items were a lot more dangerous situations to deal with. Even though she could defend herself quite well, waltzing alone right into enemy territory was never a good idea. She cycled passed the previous S.M. headquarters, the distance between her and the bracelet reducing. She had finally reached Apgujeong.

Now the bracelet was under water somewhere, but where? The image of it flashed in her mind, getting her to slow down. She was close. Hyun-Ae took her time passing by the small streets and alleys until the thread she had been following tugged at her on her right side. She skidded to a stop and turned to her right. She could see a narrow alley leading up to another and smirked. "Up there huh?"

The tracker eased in the alley leaving the busy street with cars and pedestrians behind. She hopped off her bike and continued to walk soon reaching the intersection between the alleys. She noticed puddles scattered around the area, then a thought came to her; it had rained last night. It didn't take her too long to reach the exact spot the cord ended. She looked up at the sky above then the ground, catching a glimpse of something shiny. "Ha! There you are you rascal," she snorted.  She pulled it up out of the puddle and gently shook the water off, inspecting the glimmering item. "That was easy, now let's get you back to your owner."

The sounds of the busy street just got louder with excited screams. She wasn't bothered by it, though, screams were quite common around this area. Many celebrities passed through this part of the city. She placed the bracelet into her pocket then wiped her wet hand on her pants. Just as she got up to leave, she knocked into something more like someone. Luckily she had her bike to support her.

"Oh! Oops, sorry about that. I didn't see you," a person with a honeyed voice uttered hastily. Hyun-Ae shook her head, taking note that this person's chest was quite tough. She looked up at a man who she recognised, but couldn't remember from where. He was tall, had dark hair with symmetrical cut bangs that covered his forehead.  His dark brown eyes twinkled in surprise, and his tanned skin glimmered perfectly under the vibrant sunlight. She remembered the sudden screams, and the urgency in his voice when he bumped into her. It didn't take her long to figure out that he was most likely an idol trying to escape his fans. 

"It's alright, I wasn't paying attention either." The man stood there for a moment in slight confusion at the girl's response to him. He assumed it was a fan who managed to find him in the alley, so immediately remained as cool as possible, but she appeared to be quite calm and he could see her puzzled expression. 

"I'm VIXX leader N, by the way," he introduced. He couldn't help but promote his group, it was an automatic thing to do when he came across new faces. 

It took Hyun-Ae a couple of seconds to remember. "Ohhhh, yes. That's it! I've seen you on TV. I thought your face seemed familiar." She was a little familiar with their songs but didn't really know much about the group. He gave her a smirk before going around her.

"Well, I gotta get going. I'm in a hurry," he alerted and she gave him a nod. N turned away and continued up the alley as Hyun-Ae watched, but she suddenly sensed something. Instinctively, she looked down at her feet and noticed a small, thin, black, cylinder tube with a white cap. She bent over to pick it up and inspected it closely. It was lip balm and it automatically traced back to N. 

"Ah, it must have fallen out of his pocket when he bumped into me." She quickly followed after him. She ignored the thread knowing that he couldn't have gotten far. She turned the corner seeing him swiftly ease through the alley almost reaching the next street. "Oh, N!" she called loudly.

She saw the man freeze in his trek then quickly turn to face her, that sweet face no longer present. "Ya! Don't just go yelling my name out like that!"

"N oppa?"

"VIXX N?" The sounds of female fans could be heard at the end of the street he was sneaking out of. 

"Oops..." she thought, now realising the mistake.

"Aish!" N exclaimed. He gave her an expression that will forever be ingrained in her mind. His eyebrows lowered and his lips curled up baring his sparkling teeth. She could even hear a soft sound of him kissing his teeth. It was the look of disgust he gave her. He did that right before he turned to greet the fans who arrived. His expression mostly likely transforming into a bright smile for them.

"Sorry," she whispered before disappearing the other way forgetting why she called out to him in the first place. 

N handled the situation well, just as he always did. He gave them kind smiles, his autograph, and spoke with them for a bit. It wasn't that he didn't like bumping into his fans, but today was just one of those days he wanted space.  He knew the routes to avoid from being spotted which is why he was squeezing through alleyways, but his luck was against him once he bumped into that girl. Why did she have to go shouting his name out like that? He glanced back curious to know if she was still there, but he only found an empty space. "That crazy girl calls my name for no reason? Did she do that on purpose?" Whatever, what's done is done. The leader of VIXX pulled out his cellphone to text his manager to come and get him. He was still trapped among the young fans who somehow multiplied in front of him. 

His group and the manager weren't too far, so the wait wasn't long. The screams started up when the manager hopped out and opened the passenger door. Ken had opened the window to talk and give fans kisses to distract them until N was safely seated in the front. The manager slid back in the driver's seat and took a couple seconds for the fans to say goodbye before driving off.

"What was that Hakyeon? I thought you didn't want to be spotted today," his manager spoke. 

"I didn't," he grumbled.

"Then what happened? You don't usually get caught." The others were in their usual assigned seats (Hongbin, Hyuk, Ravi in back, and Ken and Leo in the middle) trying to listen to the story all except for Leo who had his earphones jammed in his ears listening to some tunes. 

"I was fine until some crazy girl shouted my name alerting fans who were walking around the area. It started off with a couple then more just showed up," he explained with a frown.

"Was this girl a fan too?" Hongbin asked. The leader twisted in his seat in order to get a better view of the others.

"Not exactly. I had to introduce myself then I left her behind, but she follows and yells after me."

"Ha ha! Was there a reason why?" Hongbin chuckled getting Hyuk to laugh along with him.

"No, that's the thing. She calls me then disappears."

"Was she cute?" Ken wondered with Ravi nodding his head approving of the question.

"I don't know," he snapped. "I didn't have time to focus on such matters. I just wanted to get out of there." The others continued to laugh and the leader kept his glare. They always got a kick out of his misfortunes. He turned away from them biting his bottom lip in frustration. He could feel his lips begin to get clammy, so he instinctively reached into his pockets. He checked the left side then the right not feeling anything. "Hey, where is it?" 

"Where's what?" The manager replied.

"My lip balm." He checked the pockets in his pants next and still found nothing.

The manager reached over to the cabinet and popped it open revealing some of the cosmetics and lip balms he kept in the car. "Here."

N looked up at him and shook his head. "No, no. I had just bought a new one in town. Where the hell is it?"

"Well, I can't help you there. Might as well just use one of these for now."

The leader sighed finally ceasing the search. The whole reason he was in this part of town was to get a new one, and it wasn't cheap. Today was just not his day. He reached into the cabinet searching into his cosmetic bag for an older one and applied it to his lips. 

"Now, you guys have a meeting with--" 

"Yes, I remember," N interrupted. "At 9:15 right?" The manager nodded then continued to list their plans for the day.

It was the time to prepare for their comeback, therefore, many meetings and practices were scheduled. They also had their own personal schedules like Ken and Hongbin who were going to appear in their own dramas, also N and Hyuk being part of Big Byung and participating in variety shows. Leo was just featured in LYn's new track and MV "Blossom Tears," and Ravi was always busy in the studio writing songs. Life for them had become quite busy, but they knew once they began promoting their new album, there would be little to no free time. They had to make the most of their "free time" now before their comeback stage. 

--

It was a late afternoon, and Hyun-Ae had stopped at a casual restaurant for lunch. She had realised she ate nothing the entire morning and was starving. Her client from this morning was busy with her personal matters, so she still held onto the bracelet, but that wasn't all she was holding. She had already ordered herself a small platter of kimbap with a bowl of kimchi ramen and was waiting patiently for her meal to arrive. She held out N's lip balm and sighed. She forgot to give it back to him, but it might have looked odd if she did in front of his fans anyway. The item was directing her to the owner. She could follow and easily find him wherever he was now, but that would be way too weird if she showed up at one of his conferences, fan signs or his dorm saying something like, "Oh you dropped your lip balm, so I searched for you. Here you go." She would appear like some sort of stalker. She always felt the need to return lost things to people; it became a must for her. Now knowing exactly who this belonged to made her even more inclined to return it, but giving something back to an idol was not a simple task. 

"Ottoke?Someone sat down across from her distorting her view of the lip balm.

"I knew you'd be here, Hyunnie," the voice of a man addressed. Hyun-Ae didn't react much to him but responded.

"Why am I not surprised? You're a stalker."

"Oh! So today I'm a stalker? The last we spoke, I was a pest," he chuckled. "Next thing I know, you will actually refer to me as the greatest friend you'll ever have."

"Don't get ahead of yourself, that rank is a lot higher than you think, Seojin." she smirked finally eying him. 

"Aww well at least I'm moving up on that list," he shrugged then returned a smirk of his own. They soon relaxed into each others presence and laughed. Hyun-Ae and Seojin's relationship was special, they've met in tough circumstances, but since then they've remained good friends.  "How have you been?"

"Not bad, I've been hunting quite a bit this week. Lots of running around the city. I've got an item to return in a couple of hours."

Seojin went serious when he heard her stories. "You should be careful with all that running around. You don't know the kind of people you're helping all the time."

"I know, but it's my job." Hyun-Ae's heard this word of caution many times from him. He wasn't entirely thrilled about her unique business. He knew Seoul and the people in the city very well. He did not want her getting into any trouble. 

"With your tracking abilities, you might as well work your way into the police department. Work in the lost and found section, or something, so at least there you're protected. With this under the table type of job, you're more vulnerable to fraudulence," he suggested, clasping his hands together.

The young woman in front of him rolled her eyes before speaking. "You know how I feel about working with police, detective. I'm not doing it. Anyway, what about you?" She wasn't being sarcastic, he was actually a detective. A private investigator, to be exact. He worked underground, accepting cases from clients all around. It didn't matter whether they were dangerous, and sometimes they were illegal; nothing too deranged, but still against the authorities' approval. 

A waitress appeared in front of their table with Hyun-Ae's order. She had almost forgotten about her growing hunger. She put away N's lip balm and moved her arms away from the table so the waitress could set her plates down. She thanked her and got ready to eat.

"Would you like anything, sir?" the waitress asked glancing at him.

"A cup of coffee, just black. Thanks," he replied flashing her a smile. The waitress gave a bow then left the scene, leaving the two of them alone. Once she left, the table was a lot quieter than before, and it wasn't because Hyun-Ae began eating. Their last conversation wasn't exactly pleasant. 

"Do you want one?" she spoke, referring to the kimbap sitting at a side as she dug into the ramen bowl. Seojin sighed, taking a pair of chopsticks from a decorative cup and plucking a roll. "So, how about you?" 

"Yeah about me. I've got a new case, but it's not pretty. Don't think I should discuss it in here."

"Ohh, sounds intriguing," she responded. 

"Heh, I don't think even you will find it so intriguing," he chuckled.

"Try me."

The two friends ate and discussed other topics not job related, enjoying the time they had together. They didn't physically see each other often, but when they did, they made sure their company was pleasurable. They finished their meal, paid and headed out the door. Hyun-Ae grabbed her bike and looked up at him. He was tall, taller than the idol she had bumped into this morning. 

"Well, I gotta get going," she pouted wistfully.  

"Same here. We'll see each other soon. Don't worry about it, alright?" he assured, patting the top of her head.

"Yeah," she smiled, kicking up the stand and taking a seat on the bike. Just before she sped off, Seojin grasped her arm and looked directly into her eyes.

"Hyun-Ae, be careful," he expressed sincerely thinking back to the conversation they had earlier. 

She knew exactly what he meant and understood he was a worried as any normal friend would. His job scared her too. "Thanks, same to you. Take care," she smiled then rode away. Seojin gave a firm nod, watched her zoom off then walked to his car.


 

Woo~ first chapter is finally up! I'll be trying my best to get new chapters up quickly. It would be nice having them done while One Fine Day is running. I'm giving a heads up that the story will lead up to our idols ending up lost on Jeju. Right now, as you can tell, it's set a couple months before their Error comeback stage. Anyway, that's all I'm going to say for now. See you all next chapter!