Five

The "Some" Relationship
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Gary apologizes everywhere; in the restaurant, in the car on the way to SBS, and now in the meeting room that they are waiting in. But Jihyo doesn't say a word. She's been quiet since the reveal, and he doesn't push it. 

 

They are sitting beside each other, the tension obvious to even the people surrounding them. She's obviously been in this situation before, but this is his first time. No scandals or issues can ever top a dating reveal, and it was a shame how the public were heavily critical on relationships. 

 

Jaesuk is the only Running Man member besides them allowed in the room. He sat beside Jihyo quietly, his presence ironically comforting. He pulled a few strings, but eventually he used his well respected status to sit in, a move he never did, so Gary didn't quite understand. The rest were outside in the hallway, probably disrupting everyone with their pacing around. They have no idea why he and Jihyo were called in to SBS, but the seriousness of the situation had them restless. 

 

He doesn't know what pictures Dispatch has, or where they were taken from, and the suspense was killing him. 

 

Then the door opens, and he realizes it's more serious than he originally thought it was going to be, because in walks in the head of SBS. They've only met at the entertainment awards, but never for long, only brief, short encounters. He's a busy man, so why bother him with such minute issues? Even Jaesuk does a double take, and he doesn't have to look to know that Jihyo is thinking the same. 

 

"May we start?" One of the representatives from Dispatch asks, and he waits for the firm nods  before continuing. Then he pulls out several photos, A4 in size, glossy and clear. 

 

He recognizes them easily, and her gasp confirms that she does too. There on the table are photos from their short supper after the CF meeting. Her arm is hooked around his, both of them chatting easily. Then there are some of them buying dubbeoki, and many more of them laughing away. They look like a couple, already comfortable with each other. 

 

"Dispatch will be using these for our annual reveal on January first. We were originally going with Lee Jungjae and Lee Seryung, but management has agreed that this will be the headline reveal. It is crucial that we inform you first, so are there any questions?" 

 

"Aren't you going to ask us if we're really dating?" Jihyo asked

 

"We're not dating. Really. It was just a friendly chat after our meeting." Gary offers, sounding like he was also trying to convince himself.

 

"That's where I come in." The head speaks up. "The reveal will help boost ratings for Running Man, and we need that desperately since the show has been showing single digit ratings recently."

 

"With all due respect, I don't think we should play with their relationship. Can't we think of other ideas?" Jaesuk asks, his tone serious.

 

"I'm deciding on ending the show for good. Perhaps it's time for the new pilot we've been working on to step in." The head continues without missing a beat. 

 

"You mean... You're giving us an ultimatum? If we don't admit the rumour, we can't continue Running Man?" Jihyo gasps. 

 

"Dispatch has never gone wrong on New Year reveals, and we won't let this down if you decide to deny it. Anyway, the photos are more than enough proof for the public." The representative adds in a gentle tone, but the threat was harsh enough to show that he meant business. "Our reputation is on the line. Money was spent into modifications with our previous New Year couple. Dispatch reserves the right to release these photos one way or another."

 

"I refuse to let them go with this. It is widely known that this industry is unpredictable, what can a few bad ratings predict about the future of Running Man? This is not right, I won't allow you to let my dongsaengs follow through. If Running Man fails, we end together." Jaesuk emphasizes firmly. 

 

"How about our overseas activities? Running Man is known to be doing well internationally, you can't end the show!" Gary tried, but the head was insistent. 

 

"Korea is what matters most, we as a national broadcasting station cannot count on global response alone." 

 

Hearing the head, Gary's thankful for Jaesuk's firm support, but he knows that the show means everything to the members. They can't let it go just over falling ratings. There's no way they can leave without a consensus, and he knows her: she's headstrong and stubborn; she won't let it go so easily.

 

But he forgets that she is unpredictable, so it shocks him when she speaks up first. "I'll do it."

 

"Gary ssi?"

 

All eyes are on him now, except Jihyo. She's eyeing her hands, avoiding his glance. Beside her, Jaesuk pats her back comfortingly, and he realizes that he doesn't want to give up his second family all too soon. He can't say no, even if they go back to square one and pull a Monday Couple all over again. 

 

"Yes," He agrees. "What should we do from now on?"

 

 

Eventually, they are gathered at at a cafe near SBS, away from the prying eyes of the paparazzi in a private room. This time Jihyo chooses the seat far from Gary, but he lets it slide. Jaesuk is finishing up on the details from the meeting, his eyebrows furrowed in seriousness. 

 

"Ah noona, how could you agree to this? This isn't good, let's go back and fight for your right!" Kwangsoo's the first to speak, the youngest angrily proclaiming as if he was ready to fight. 

 

And he's not alone. Sukjin shakes his head, patting Jihyo on the back. "You didn't have to do this for us, maybe it's time to let go." The rest nodded in agreement, suddenly developing an interest in their drinks. The conversation of declining ratings suddenly came rushing back, and the tension felt was thick in the air.

 

"No hyung, we can't let that happen! So many fans depend on us, we can't let them down." Gary finally speaks up, and Jihyo looks at him for the first time that night. Her eyes are unreadable, and for once she can't quite tell what he's thinking. 

 

"It's not right to see you two suffer for the sake of us. All the money in the world cannot buy happiness, is this show really worth it?" Jaesuk finally gives his input, and his question echoes in his mind. Running Man was his life now; he wouldn't know what he would do without it. He owes his career to it, his success as a soloist and his own business. Yet was it worth it? Can he sacrifice his personal life for his career? 

 

Jihyo is Jihyo, and she's more than a pretty face. She's the kindest, most down to earth person he has ever met in this industry. It's not smooth sailing from day one, because people do anything and everything in order to gain fame and popularity for a career as a celebrity. But Jihyo has a heart of gold, and perhaps that was how she deserved every single piece of gold she had ever won on the show. Years ago, he could picture a life with her. He was younger and unbelievably naive, holding an inkling that she might have thought the same as him. 

 

Years later, he still doesn't quite get her true intentions. They play around on screen with the Monday Couple image, hang around together with the cast during meet ups, but go their own separate ways for the rest of the week. Yet recently, they start texting each other, from schedules to personal matters, and finally meeting up outside work for their own catch ups. 

 

"Aniya oppa, the show makes us happy! It's not about the money, we understand it." Jihyo waves it off, bringing him back to reality. His heart flutters at her words, as he realizes that she's already comfortable with them being together. 

 

"Then how will you go about dating?" Jongkook questions.

 

"How will you film in separate groups when guests come on the show?" HaHa adds on.

 

Their disapproval shocks Gary, because he thought they would have understood best. It was unspoken that they will support one another in any decision they partook in; they were already like family. 

 

But it's Jihyo who speaks up again. "We'll work it out."

 

Sensing the escalating tension, Jaesuk mediates, bringing them back together again. "Let's forget about it for now. We'll discuss it again when the time comes, don't worry about it." 

 

The members nod in agreement, but the rest of the session was lacking. No one mentioned about the meeting again, and not once did Kwangsoo tease them, but Gary can't help but sneak glances at Jihyo. They've not exchanged a word in private since the reveal, and he's glad that the members were there to support them, but he wanted alone time with her. 

 

So when it's time to go, he's glad that Jaesuk nudges him to send Jihyo home. "You two need to settle things together alone." The main emcee proposed, pushing Jihyo gently to Gary.

 

Kwangsoo gives his noona a bear hug, while Sukjin pats her affectionately on the shoulder as they leave together, calming her down somewhat. For the umpteenth time that day, he is grateful for the cast again. Without them, he wouldn't have known how to settle the problem. 

 

It's quiet and awkward once they leave the comforts of the cafe and the members behind, but he had already anticipated that. He doesn't really know what time it is, probably midnight or over, but something tells him she won't be sleeping if they don't talk it out. The SBS carpark is dark and empty, and there's absolutely no one around, so it surprises him when he reaches out to grab her hand firmly.

 

Jihyo flinches, but his hand remains. "Oppa, what are you doing? There's no one around!" She whispered into the night, but her hand stays clasped around his. 

 

"Practice." He replies, grinning. She lets out a faint smile, and his heart jumps. "I just felt like you needed it." 

 

They get into the car, him driving her. He doesn't bother opening the passenger door for her, because she's the type to be independent and not let any male wait on hand and foot for her. It stuns him that he knows her like the back of his hand, yet not enough to understand her feelings. 

 

"I'm really sorry, Jihyo." Gary apologizes, his eyes on the road avoiding hers. 

 

"Don't apologize." She cuts in. "Just... Don't."

 

"How do we plan on doing this?" He asks again, but she remains silent. "Don't avoid it, we'll have to prepare."

 

"The usual. We keep up the Monday couple act."

 

He scoffs, and she looks at him in shock. "Do you really think we can continuing the act? We're supposed to be dating, Jihyo. It's not fake anymore. It's real."

 

She's silent again, the car quiet except for the hum of the engine. The guilt sets in when he realizes that she's crying, her tears flowing freely down her cheeks. He sighs, and turns into a quiet lane to pullover, putting the car to a stop. Then he reaches out to her, and lets her sob freely, his hands wiping away each set of fresh tears. 

 

"We can't pull another Monday Couple. How long can we last before the people around us get hurt?" 

 

Jihyo's voice is raw and vulnerable, and it scares him. She's brave, she's the ace, the only girl in the gang, yet she's not one to break down and reveal her worries. He can't do anything for her. The deal had been made, the right words said, the agreement settled. With every gain there is a loss, and they've only prolonged Running Man's run, whilst sacrificing their personal lives. Even if they continue on, their fans, family and friends will suffer eventually when the truth is revealed. 

 

With all that has happened that night, he almost forgets about their date. The one he had planned nervously, and the same one she was slightly hesitant about. The one that was real and asked with all his sincerity, and the same one she had laughed about. 

 

"Then I'll win you over. We'll fall in love because of us, not because we have to. We will become real, and no one gets hurt." He promises, placing her hands in his. Her eyes are red from crying, her cheeks flushed, and yet he can't tear his eyes off her. 

 

"Except you." She doesn't quite get his proposal. He's sacrificing his own life for her and the people around them.

 

"How do you know I'm not madly in love with you already?" There's no cheeky grin involved in this statement, and she realizes that he is dead serious. She thinks fast, and catches on just as quickly. 

 

"Oppa... It won't work." Just like all those years, Jihyo turns him down. 

 

"What are you afraid of?" Gary asks. "We're free to do so now, why can't you try?"

 

"But what if it doesn't work out in the end?" 

 

He sees the fear in her eyes, and he understands. Her previous relationship didn't end well. And his didn't either. The pain of this breakup will hit them even more, including their fans, and the cast as well. They've got more to lose in this relationship. 

 

"Then I'll fight for you." He's confident that they were meant to be together. The sincerity in his tone touches her, and she realizes that he means what he says. This is different from the Kang Gary in front of the camera with the cheesy lines. He is now Kang Gary in reality with the promises that he keeps and will not break.

 

"You're not going to let me say no." She smiles weakly.

 

"Even if you do, I'll come right back.  Like an annoying fly." He grins.

 

She laughs, the first of the day, a genuine one. His hands are still holding hers, but they are comfortable and relaxed. 

 

"I have to drive you back. Can you release me now, I won't go anywhere I promise." Her hands immediately retract from his, but she's still laughing. 

 

"I can't believe you called yourself a fly." She says as he resumes the journey to her house. It's funny how he's already so used to the way there. 

 

"It was the first thing that popped up in my mind." He could get used to this, he thinks. Random conversations and nightly drives with her. 

 

He learns more about her, throwing questions that he never bothered to ask. Her favourite colour was not purple, but pink. She liked to nap in the afternoon. She missed her omma, but it's a long drive to visit her. 

 

When he pulls up at her house, he asks, "Do you like flowers?"

 

"Nah, I'm more of the chocolate fan." She replies. The questions are so random, they don't faze her anymore. 

 

"Great. Then I'll pick you up at seven tomorrow with a box of chocolates." He's so straightforward now that she chuckles.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter