Snow Globe

Upon a Snow Globe

 

Little Lee Sungmin is fond of Christmas, yes. But at the age of eight, he firmly believed that Santa didn’t exist. It all happened when he was five. In the middle of the night, his organ decided that it needed to release all the soda he drank at the party few hours ago. Walking quietly so as not to wake his younger brother up, he slowly descended the stairs. But all of a sudden heard a muffled rustle at the living area. Curiosity got the better of him and so he carefully walked to the direction of the noise, and there, he saw his dad putting down a huge rectangular box bundled up in a Christmas gift wrapper with Sungmin’s name written at the center.

 

“Uhh… Dad?”

 

His father merely cleared his throat, patted Sungmin on the head and slowly walked up to their bedroom, but of course not without making Sungmin promise not to tell his mom his father got caught.

 

Which is why he really couldn’t believe his eyes when a gigantic man wearing a Santa costume, riding a sleigh—a floating sleigh, appears before his eyes. Floating, because he’s in his room which is on the second floor, gaping outside the window where ‘Santa’ is fondly looking right back at him. Why he is the only one woken up by the sound of the bells around the reindeers’ neck, he doesn’t know.

 

The chubby man gets up and walks inside the window. Sungmin notices a snow globe cradled by this believable Santa.

 

“You’re not a burglar, are you?” Sungmin narrows his eyes.

 

Santa lets out a hearty laugh making Sungmin wonder again why his little brother hasn’t woken up yet.

 

“No, I am not.” Santa says with a smile.

 

Sungmin firmly crosses his arms against his chest, eyes not leaving the form in front of him. “Prove it.”

 

Santa rolls his eyes good-naturedly. “Kid, if I was a burglar, I wouldn’t be giving a gift to you now, would I?”

 

“Does Santa speak Korean?!” Sungmin asks incredulously, eyes widening at the realization.

 

Santa laughs once again and this time, pats Sungmin on the head.

 

“I do, child. In fact, I speak a lot of languages.” With a smile on his face, Santa hands the little boy a snow globe which is anything but ordinary.

"Sungmin-ah, shake the globe and the thing that appears inside will be yours."

"Really?" Eight year old Sungmin looks up, eyes sparkling at the sound of presents for Christmas.

Santa nods, face full of fondness over the boy in front of him. Sungmin is indeed one of a kind.

The boy does not need to be told twice and shakes the globe rather enthusiastically, and to his surprise, an image of a boy slowly forms inside.

"A boy?" Sungmin asks in wonder, brows furrowing with confusion.

Santa smiles and nods, "He's yours, Sungmin. Take care of him, okay?"

Sungmin doesn't seem to understand what it means, but he nods anyway and beams, not minding the missing tooth inside his mouth.

Santa gives the boy's hair a ruffle before bidding goodbye, wishing him good luck, leaving the little boy in a daze.

 

Santa’s real. And he speaks Korean… whoah.


Sungmin patiently waits for the boy in his snow globe, praying before bed to receive his present. He waits and waits and waits until he no longer has to.

"Everyone, I have an important announcement to make," Manager hyung says as he enters the dorm followed by a boy who's grinning cheekily, albeit a bit nervously. "This is Cho Kyuhyun, he'll be part of the family from now on."

Sungmin stares for a while and when he meets the younger’s eyes, he suddenly remembers a vague memory from many years ago, about a snow globe, Santa, and his overdue present. 

He smiles.

"Hello, Kyuhyun. I'm your Sungmin hyung and I'm going to take care of you from now on."
 





---

 

The fic was inspired from this photo:

 

Advance Merry Christmas guys! How have you all been? ^_^


/grins from ear to ear while writing this one/ mehehehe