The Decision

steel heart!AU
When Hakyeon finally gives in and decides to place an order for a CARE Bot 2.0, it's strictly out of necessity.
 
"I can't keep cooking and cleaning for you," Wonshik says severely. "It was fine when we were dorming together, but now you're a grown man. You need to learn how to take care of yourself. Or marry someone who will."
 
Hakyeon sulks. "Will you marry me, then?"
 
A magazine hits the side of his head and falls into his lap. "I already have Hongbin."
 
"I could be your bit on the side," Hakyeon offers hopefully.  "I'm y and lovable and I won't complain if you need to do the dirty with Hongbin."
 
Wonshik just gives a stony stare.
 
"Oh fine," Hakyeon grumps, starting to leaf through the magazine that was tossed at him. "Way to make me feel undesirable."
 
His best friend's gaze softens. "You know it's not like that at all."
 
"Or I can just pay someone to do it for me," Hakyeon barrels on carelessly, before -- God forbid -- Wonshik says anything more. "Look!" He stabs a finger at the open magazine in his lap. "They've come up with a new version of the CARE Bot. Maybe I'll get one of those." 
 
Wonshik cranes his head to look at the glossy advertisement, sliding his spectacles up his nose to take a better look at it. "Hmm," is all he says as he runs an eye over the specifications. "Upgraded systems, newly installed with A.I.-7, customisable parts... Didn't Jaehwan get himself one of those, the last time? A CARE Bot 1.2, wasn't it... But this one is almost revolutionary in its design..."
 
Hakyeon waits. After twenty years of friendship, he's learned to differentiate when Wonshik is talking to him and when he's in engineer mode, working something out for himself. He leans back on the sofa and puts his feet in Wonshik's lap, watching his friend with amusement as he reads.
 
It's too bad that Wonshik is finally moving out -- but he's found Hongbin, and as much as it's been convenient for them to share a house (ever since they wound up as unexpected roommates during their Academy days), Hakyeon won't stand between his friend and lifelong happiness. Even if he no longer believes in it himself.
 
"You know what?" Wonshik says finally, pushing his glasses back up onto his head. "This CARE Bot thing actually might work."
 
Hakyeon's face breaks into a wide smile.
 
~*~
AT3019-75 arrives three days later. He's beautiful, even more handsome than Hakyeon could have anticipated. Sure, when he filled in the form, he checked the boxes next to his preferences (height: above average; looks: superior), but to see his CARE Bot 2.0 in the flesh... 
 
"Delivery for a Mr Cha Hakyeon," his bot announces when he opens the door. "May I verify your order, please?"
 
Hakyeon is staring at his bot with his mouth half-open. Silky dark golden hair, check. Broad shoulders, a deep, penetrating gaze and the voice of an angel. He's tall, slightly taller than Hakyeon, with long slim legs and a solid, comforting sort of presence. He's perfect.
 
His bot clears his -- its? -- throat. "Mr Cha Hakyeon. I would need to verify your order, please."
 
Hakyeon shakes himself. "Ah -- of course, um. Here you go." He extends his right hand towards his bot, who takes his thumb and presses it against a scanner. Two affirmative beeps and one electronic signature later, the scanner is kept away.
 
"Delivery complete. The warranty is valid for one year from date of purchase. It covers all damage from natural disasters, software malfunction or physical defects that may be incurred by your CARE Bot during this period. You may opt for an exchange or a full refund." 
 
When no further information is incoming, Hakyeon clears his throat awkwardly. "Er. Would you like to come in?"

"That would be nice," his bot responds politely, and he bends over to remove his shoes. His slacks tighten as he moves, revealing the lines of a perfectly firm and nicely rounded . Hakyeon gulps. They surely did manufacture them well nowadays.

In an attempt to divert his attention elsewhere, Hakyeon blurts, "How often do I need to bring you for your upgrades? My friend Jaehwan has a CARE Bot too, and his version needs to be updated every month or so." He attempts to make a carefree laugh. "Technology, honestly..." 

His bot stares impassively at him and Hakyeon backpedals hurriedly under that gaze. "Not that I've got any problem bringing you out, of course, I just need to know in advance so that I can borrow a car -- "

"My AI is fully functional and self-developing," his bot interrupts before Hakyeon can get overly worked up. "There will be no need to send me for regular upgrades, unlike the earlier versions."

"...What does that mean?" Hakyeon says blankly. (In his defense, it is eight-thirty in the morning.)

A small smile quirks up the corners of his bot's lips. "It means I am wired to continually learn from experiences. In a way, you can think of it as an automatic upgrade." The look turns predatory. "There is no limit to the things I can... learn."

Hakyeon swallows and presses himself against the door. "This way, please." His voice comes out strangled.
 
His bot gives him another small smile -- Hakyeon is beginning to think of it as his version of a smirk -- and sidles past him into his apartment. He comes a little too close, brushing against Hakyeon's arm as he goes in. Hakyeon forgets to breathe.

Wow. His bot is awesome.