Last

Yixing, My Husband

Flickering your eyes open, to be greeted good morning by panic and worry. Glancing around the four corners of the room, you search for something familiar but as none of the things around you register in your mind, you begin to hyperventilate and tear up slowly.


You move over to the edge of the bed and walk over to the bed side dresser. Picking up the photo placed on top of a white porcelain storage, you ponder over its contents. You see a seventy something year old lady, whose smile was unduly familiar. She was seated on a wheelchair, as a man's hand was lightly on top of her shoulders. The photo was generally lovely and heart-warming but you recognize neither people in the photo.

You head over to a door, which seemed like the way out, but unfortunately wasn't. You were greeted the a familiar glistening white tiles of the bathroom. Carefully walking over the sink, you look at your reflection in the mirror. Your jaws drop down as you realise that the lady in the photo was no other than yourself. 

You step away slowly, leaving the bathroom, to ponder things, but you were greeted by the very same elderly man from the portrait with a breakfast tray in head. "Oh, You're awake!" he greeted you with a smile. 

He places the tray down on the bedside table and walks over to your direction. "My name is Yixing, and you're probably wondering who I am."

Without saying another word, he ushers you to sit down on the bed, as he would explain the whole situation over breakfast. 

"I'm Yixing, and I take care of you," he continued, "It's strawberry jam and yoghurt, it's your favourite breakfast. Go on, dig in" he encourages.

If he had been in the same photo as you, and he has been taking care of you as he claims, then how come his face rings no bell in your head? 

"I know this may be hard to take in, but you have dementia," he explains but you understand none of it.

"There are days when you don't remember me, and there are days when you do," he continues.

"..And how long have I been like this?" you curiously ask.

"Around 15 years now."

"Who's been taking care of me then?" 

"I've been taking care of you for more than 50 years, ma'am" he chuckles.

His laugh suddenly echoed in your head, that made your heart someone skip a beat.

"Why don't you read this after breakfast?" he suggests as he hands over a small diary that he pulled out from the side table drawer. With a nod, you take the diary from his hand.

After breakfast, he reminds you about the patio that you love staying at, during pastime. 

Flipping the first page of your diary, you begin to read: 

April 8, 2012

The very first day I met Yixing.



September 7, 2012.

My first hang out with Yixing. He's a really genuine guy.



October 7, 2012.

I spent my day with Yixing. It was his birthday today! and we went to lotte world, he sang a song for me though I'm the one who should've sang a birthday song for him.


December 25, 2012.

My first Christmas with Yixing, he bought me a large teddy bear that he said I could talk to when he's not around. He will be busy soon, and he said he'll try to visit me.



There seemed to have been a huge gap for a few years, and no entry was written during that period. There also seemed to have been a change in handwriting, from the previous entries to the one that your eyes were set on.



This is your diary, I know. I just want you to let you know that I am not going to give up. I will be there for you as you were for me. - Yixing



If there come a time that you'll forget our memories, I will be there to remind you. - Yixing



When the day comes that you forget my name, just remember I'm Yixing, I took care of you then, I will be taking care of you now and forever. - Yixing



You were very frightened of me today, you wouldn't talk to me, and you told me you don't know me. I was very hurt but I understand it's not deliberate. I will be patient with you, just remember that - Yixing



You went to our daughter's house today, and when I came to pick you up to take you home you called me a "stranger trying to kidnap you" I still love you, no matter what. - Yixing

I cooked lots of meals today, our daughter called earlier but you were still asleep and she greeted me happy birthday. You woke up and threw away all the dishes I cooked and ran outside our house calling for help because you didn't recognize me, but that's okay, another memorable birthday - Yixing


You were crying today, telling me that you missed Yixing. When I told you I'm Yixing, you were trembling, so i backed away. But remember yeobo, I'm here for you - Yixing


The handwriting reverted back to yours, as you continued reading.



"His name is Yixing, and he is your husband. You were married on the 12th of December, 2013, and you have a daughter with him. He was able to make you fall in love with him 50 years ago, he was able to make you fall in love with him today, and he will make fall in love with him tomorrow. Trust him, and remember, He loves you more than you love him."



You were drenched in your own tears, as Yixing carefully knelt down and wiped away your soaked face. 



"What's the matter?" he asked, 

"It's because you're my husband and I don't remember you." you confessed

He pulled you in for a hug, being very careful of your fragile bones, "Like I said, I will be patient, and I am patient, even if you don't remember me today, I will try again tomorrow." he said as he caressed your back.

"I won't give up. As long as you won't either. I have you, and you have me. I've been married for you for more than 50 years. I loved you then, I love you now, and I promise I'll love you tomorrow." he promised.