Presents

Marrying into the Family

Presents

Three days later…

            Sungmin knocked on the door of the upper dorm and Leeteuk answered and smiled at seeing his dongsaeng in the hallway, his eyes gleaming.  “Minnie, come on in, come on in,” he invited him, opening the door wide.  “I’m glad you had the time to stop by.”

            “I was I little surprised you guys thought to invite me over, to be honest,” Sungmin said, entering the dorm. 

            Leeteuk had called him only a half hour ago, telling him that his mother had delivered them a pan of brownies to share and they were wondering if he would like to come up and have some with them, since he was nice enough to make them dinner the other night.  Who says no to brownies?  Sungmin said he’d come up as soon as he could and rushed to finish up what he was in the middle of so he wouldn’t keep his hyungs waiting.  Heechul and Kangin were already in the kitchen, drinking mugs of coffee and eating, and Heechul got up once Sungmin walked in and poured him a mug as well.  He automatically added sugar and a little cream, knowing his preferences after all the time they’d spent together, and then brought it over to the table for him.  Leeteuk sliced him a piece of brownie from the pan, set it on a plate, and placed it in front of Sungmin as well.

            Sungmin smiled at the generous piece and began eating it right away.

            “I admit, we also had another reason we called you up here,” Leeteuk began, sitting down.

            Sungmin, his mouth currently full of chocolaty goodness, gave his hyung a questioning look. 

            Kangin continued instead.  “We’ve been discussing your upcoming wedding with the publicists at SM, trying to figure out how best to approach this so that you and your wife won’t get a bunch of backlash from the fans for being the first of the group to get married, and we’ve found that Jonghoon was right about going for the more public approach.  We think that if you made a big deal out of the wedding, instead of downplaying it, you’ll get more public support in the long run.”

            “You’re still going to have some fans that will claim their going to leave over it,” Heechul said.  “Some people are just s like that.  Then there are some that are going to be upset because you won’t be on the market anymore or because you’re abandoning your secret love for Kyu.”

            Kangin laughed at this and continued eating his own brownie, probably not his first one.

            “But when it comes down to it, we think some of them will get excited about it if they feel included in it.  If they can see pictures and videos of the wedding.  Of course, if we show them videos of it, it’s going to have to be fabulous,” Heechul explained.

            Sungmin shook his head, poking at his brownie with his index finger.  “That’s the problem, hyung.  We can’t afford a wedding that big.”

            Leeteuk slipped a piece of paper next to Sungmin’s plate and the younger looked down at it, clearly perplexed.

            “Can you afford it now?”

            Sungmin picked up the paper, which was a check, and looked at the sum written on it.  His jaw dropped.  For a moment, all he could do was stare at it and his hand began to shake until he rested it on the table again.  Finally, he looked over at Leeteuk, eager for an explanation.  “Hyung?”

            “My name is on the check, but that’s just because I collected the money.  This is from everyone in Super Junior.  We took up a collection so that you could have the wedding you need to have in order to keep out of trouble with the media and in order to keep your future wife safe from being slandered by our fans.  You’re the one that will be paving the way for the rest of us to publicly date and to get married later on down the line, so we want to show our support, for you being the courageous one to go first.  Understand?”

            Sungmin looked around the table.  “I—I just can’t take all this—this is—”

            “We weren’t giving you the option.  If you don’t take it, you’ll be doing Saeun a big disservice and feeding her to the wolves.  This will be the best way to protect her career,” Heechul informed him.

            “Will that be enough?” Leeteuk repeated.

            “More than enough,” Sungmin said.  “You’ll probably be getting some back.”

            “You can use what remains on your honeymoon,” Kangin said.

            “Oh, I can’t take a honeymoon when we have concerts,” Sungmin said.

            “The hell you won’t!” Leeteuk countered.  “You’re going to make an important statement about Super Junior to the company and the fans right now.  Family is going to come before work.  You’ll be taking Saeun on a proper honeymoon after the wedding and coming back at a reasonable time, as you should, to show that your wife means more to you than your work does.  As well she should!”

            Sungmin looked around the table again.  “Okay.”

            Leeteuk nodded.

            Heechul smirked and sipped his coffee.  “Once Teukkie finds Mrs. Right, he doesn’t want to be disturbed in the middle of his honeymoon.”

            “Damn right,” Leeteuk said, getting up to get another brownie.

            “Hyungs,” Sungmin began, “I don’t know how to begin thanking you for this.”

            Kangin reached over and began to ruffle Sungmin’s hair.  “Well, you’ve always been one of the sweetest dongsaengs in the group and you’ve always taken such good care of us all these years.  It’s the least we could do.”

            “This is a lot of money,” Sungmin pointed out as he tapped the check, his vision starting to blur as tears welled up in his eyes. 

            “Money isn’t a valid measurement of what a person means to another,” Leeteuk said, coming up beside Sungmin and wrapping his arm around his shoulders.  “If it was, it would be much larger.  But don’t think of it in terms of an amount in the first place…just think of what we’re trying to accomplish.  We want to see your marriage start off well and we’ll do anything we can to help you with that.”

            “But just so you know…we’re all kind of broke now,” Heechul pointed out.  “That’s our big, fat wedding present to you.  So I’m going to hand make you a card for the wedding and you get to cook dinner for me every night until then…because we have no food.”

            “No food,” Kangin repeated, shaking his head and eating some more of his brownie.  “That’s why Teukie’s mama brought over a snack.”

            Sungmin’s eyes went wide.

            “They’re joking,” Leeteuk said, sitting down to eat his brownie.  “Do you want another one?”

            “No I’m not,” Heechul said.  “You might not be broke because you save all your damn money, but I am!”

            Leeteuk sighed and shook his head.

            “Ah, no thanks, hyung,” Sungmin answered.

            “I ate crackers for breakfast,” Kangin said.

            “You didn’t get up until nearly noon,” Leeteuk pointed out.

            “What time are you serving dinner tonight, Minnie?” Heechul asked.

Early December…

            Kyuhyun yawned as he followed Ryeowook around the kitchen area of the department store at the horrid hour of nine in the morning.  This was, of course, the best time to avoid running into their young fans who were undoubtedly stuck in school or sleeping in—if they were beyond that age—but his famous singing idol lifestyle objected heavily to it. 

            “I don’t see why we have to get them anything at all.  Almost none of the other members are,” Kyuhyun complained.  “You drained half my savings account to help pay for their wedding.”

            Ryeowook laughed at this, “I barely dented your savings account and we both know it.  Besides, all the other members are lying when they say they’re not getting them a present because Saeun would be crushed if we didn’t.  And I’m Minnie’s best friend, so I have to get him something.  I mean, I’m even singing in the wedding!”

            “I don’t know why he asked you and not me,” Kyuhyun said, sulking.  “I have just as good a voice as you do.”

            “You have a marvelous voice, but they know so many singers.  I mean, Saeun performs in musicals, so most of her friends sing as well.  But I’m one of his best friends!” Ryeowook stressed, clearly pleased that he’d been asked to sing in the wedding when no other member had. 

            “Just keep rubbing it in!” Kyuhyun pointed out.

            “Are you upset about it?” Ryeowook asked, grasping Kyuhyun’s arm.

            Kyuhyun scoffed.  “No!” he said, lying.

            Ryeowook grinned at his jealous boyfriend and walked over to a set of colorful mixing bowls.  “Aren’t these cute?”

            “You really think they’ll enjoy a bunch of cooking ?” Kyuhyun asked, getting cranky.

            “Sungmin will and he’s my friend,” Ryeowook honestly responded.  “And he told us that Saeun enjoys cooking as well, so we can assume that she’ll appreciate it as well.  Plus, cooking together is a great bonding experience.  Look how often we enjoy cooking together?”

            “I do it to get laid,” Kyuhyun said, picking up a crystal pitcher and frowning at its impracticality.

            Ryeowook smacked him in the arm.  “You do not!”

            “The hell I don’t,” Kyuhyun said. 

            “What do you think we should get them then?” Ryeowook asked, hands on his hips as he turned to face his boyfriend. 

            Kyuhyun thought this over seriously.  For a change he felt the need to give a real answer instead of just shrugging his shoulders and keeping quiet.  “Probably a camera, so they can record and take pictures of their time together.  Maybe a photo album to go with it.  You know how Minnie likes to collect pictures of us all.  We could even start by using it during the wedding—taking pictures of them—and putting it in a bag afterwards.  I don’t know.”

            Ryeowook smiled wide.

            “What?” Kyuhyun asked, feeling a bit self-conscious.

            “I think that’s a wonderful idea,” Ryeowook said, grabbing onto Kyuhyun’s hand. 

            “You do?” he questioned.

            Ryeowook nodded.  “You know, most of the time you really at being romantic, and then you have that occasional moment that kind of blows me away.”

            “You mean, now?”

            Ryeowook laughed and began to drag Kyuhyun out of the kitchen area.

            “Where are we going?”

            “The men’s room.”

            “What?  Why?” he asked, alarmed.

            “Because I have this sudden urge to shove you in a stall and make out with you,” Ryeowook informed him.  “Then we’re going to the electronics department, assuming we don’t get kicked out first.”

            “I’ll try not to moan too loud this time,” Kyuhyun said, sticking close.

            “Well, you see, I’ll be a little disappointed if I can’t get a decent response out of you.  Let’s just hope the bathrooms here are in a deserted corner of the store,” Ryeowook said, looking around.  “But this isn’t the only store that sells cameras.”

            “Certainly not,” agreed Kyuhyun, smirking, as they searched the floor for the nearest bathroom.

***

I hope that you've enjoyed my short fic about Sungmin's wedding and Super Junior's response to it.  I appreciate any upvotes and comments that you give.  I normally stick with KyuWook pieces (which is why they're still in the story), but I've been trying to branch out a little more.  Please give me some feedback, if you'd like to see more of this kind of story. I'd like to know what you liked most about it so I know what to include in future fics.  Thanks you for reading!

Love Always,

Jen