A Love Like Theirs

A Love Like Theirs

“PAPA!” The childish squeal of one of their names rang throughout their home.

 

The man on his chest gently tapped his fingers against his tummy. “Jinki they’re awake.”

 

Jinki groaned softly, turning onto his side slowly and hugging his husband close. “If we are quiet they may go back to bed.”

 

The man in his arms just chuckled softly, “Because that worked so well with the kids.”

 

Jinki peeked down at the man and pouted, “Doesn’t hurt to hope Minho.”

 

Minho shook his head and snuggled closer. In the 40 years he had been with the man Jinki always smelled the same. Through the dozen cologne and shampoo changes, Jinki still smelled like he did that first night that he had offered to share his umbrella with Minho and walked him home so he didn’t get wet. “I’ll humor you.”

 

A soft smile formed on his lips before he leaned down to press a kiss on the white hair of his husband. He closed his eyes and softly whispered, “Today we should wear the white shirts.”

 

Minho was about to say something when their bedroom door was pushed open and two sets of pattering feet was soon heard coming toward them. A moment later the end of the bed was jostled as their two grandbabies jumped up onto the bed.

 

“Papa!” Was a loud whine. “Grandpa!” 

 

Jinki just closed his eyes and pretended to be asleep. “Papa I know you’re awake. I heard Grandpa laughing at you.” The man just added snoring to his acting. “Papa! You don’t even snore!”

 

“She has you there Babe.”

 

Jinki pouted as his husband pushed up off of his chest to sit up. He watched the man smile widely and open his arms up from their grandchildren. Jinki sighed and slowly sat up in the bed, his old bones cracking into place with a groan. Their five year old granddaughter rushed over the bed toward the man. Jinki looked past her at the little two year old boy sitting quietly at the edge of the bed. He had his Grandpa’s eyes, big wide and curious, as he watched his sister be collected in his Grandpa’s arms and hugged tightly. His eyes flickered over to his Papa, and Jinki smiled as he opened his arms out for him.  “Come on up here Sprout.”

 

The boy smiled wide before crawling up to him. Once settled in Jinki’s arms he smiled up at him, giggling as the man placed a kiss on his chubby cheek. It was then the kick was felt by the man. Minho sighed and reached to grab Sujin’s legs. “Don’t kick Papa. He’s fragile.”

 

The girl pouted. “He’s the one that played sleep. It’s almost 8 Grandpa! That means it’s time to get to the zoo!”

 

Minho looked over at his husband, “Does she deserve to go after kicking you Babe?”

 

“Grandpa!” She whined.

 

Jinki seemed to think about it for a moment before clicking his tongue. “I guess so. Besides we have to take Sprout.” At his nickname Jinho giggled. “Go back to your room Su and we’ll come get you for your bath.” The little girl rushed off the bed and out the door with a squeal.

 

Jinki looked down when his pajama shirt was gently tugged. “What about me Papa?”

 

“Well Sprout I need help with breakfast. You took your bath last night remember?” The boy’s lips formed a soft oh causing his grandparents to chuckle. Jinki scooted over to the edge and slowly stood up. He groaned as his bones all cracked into place, the little boy snug in his arms.

 

“You’re getting old Babe.”

 

Jinki just turned and glared at his husband before going to start breakfast, stopping in the baby’s room to check on him before heading to the kitchen.

 

                                                            ———-

 

Jinki heard Sujin before he saw her. Jinho was sitting in his swing handing in the doorframe leading into the living room, bouncing away happily. Jinki looked up when he whined. Sujin had rushed past him making him lose his balance and rhythm. He was about to go over and steady him, but Minho came walking in carrying little Minhae to do it for him with one hand. Jinho giggled as soon as he was bouncing again and Jinki flashed a smile over at his husband as he finished placing the food on the plates.

 

Sujin was placed in her highchair, Jinho kept bouncing seeing as he’d had his waffle before Jinki had started to cook, and Minho came over to hand over Minhae. Once the baby was taken by the other man Minho went to get both their pills from above the fridge. Jinki smiled wide when he turned to see the I’m Minho written out in bold black letters. His matching one was hanging in their closet for after breakfast when he went to change. When Minho walked over to hand him a glass of water and place his 3 pills on the plate next to his food Jinki offered his cheek for a kiss, and smiled wide the moment he received a sloppy one.

 

                                                                   ——-

 

Sujin was walking near the front of the stoller holding Jinho’s tiny hand. The 2 year old boy had a backpack of a panda on his back, the strap was held in Minho’s hand who was pushing the stroller meant for little Minhae, but their little brother was snug in their Papa’s arms.

 

Their granddaughter looked back at them, “Can we see the lions next?”

 

“Yes Lions RAWR!” Jinho piped up.

 

“Next right.” Minho commented.

 

“Yay!” The two kids squealed. The baby in Jinki’s arms didn’t even move, just enjoyed being held, eyes wide as he took in the sights around him.

 

Jinki reached over to poke his husband’s arm with a smile. “They remind me of the twins.”

 

Minho made a face. “The twins liked to run away though, so I hope not.”

 

The other man shook his head. “Only one who can is Sujin, and she won’t leave Jinho behind. Besides, we promised ice cream. She’s not going anywhere.”

 

Minho hummed as he took his eyes from the two walking by the stroller over to his husband and the baby. “Minhae doing okay?”

 

Jinki smiled as he gently poked one of the baby’s cheeks. “Hae is just like his daddy. Curious and quiet.”

 

Their conversation was interrupted with an obnoxious squeal. “Papa look! Look look its Simba!”

 

With a shared look Minho followed the two over to the fence and lifted Jinho up so he could see. Jinki headed over to the shaded area over to the side. He enjoyed watching Minho with their grandkids, he always had liked the man with kids, and Minhae didn’t need to be in the sun for too long. After a varying amount of squeals and screams Sujin rushed over to him. “Can we watch Lion King when we get back?”

 

“Sure Princess.”

                                                                        ——-

 

“Papa what does your shirt say?” Jinki turned to his right at Sujin sitting next to him.

 

“Oh. It says If lost return to Minho.”

 

“Isn’t Grandpa’s name Minho?”

 

“Mhmm.”

 

“I’m confused.”

 

Jinki chuckled for a moment before grabbing a napkin and wiping the shredded cheese on the girls dress. “Grandpa has a matching shirt. It’s to make sure I don’t get lost.”

 

The little girl giggled. “But why would you get lost Papa? You’re so good at reading maps!”

 

Jinki looked over at Minho standing in line with Jinho for the funnel cake as he held the bottle for Minhae. “Papa is mischievous. Plus if there is discounted food I usually wander off.”

 

“You’re silly Papa.”

 

“I’ve been told.” He gave a cheeky grin, “Now eat up. If Grandpa comes back and you’ve yet to eat your hotdog no funnel cake for you.”

 

Sujin blinked up at him. “You know Mommy doesn’t let me have funnel cakes.”

 

Jinki just gave an evil grin. “What Mommy doesn’t know won’t kill her huh Princess?”

 

                                                                   ———

 

On the ride home Minhae and Jinho fell asleep in their car seats. Sujin contented herself with hugging her stuffed lion and looking out the window. Her thumb was in and she looked like she was going to be asleep in a couple minutes herself. Jinki was driving since Minho drove to the zoo. The soft music from the kid’s favorite show’s soundtrack played over the stereo.

 

            The car ride was quiet in its own way. Jinki and Minho had to admit they had great grandkids just like they had great kids. They were quiet most of the time, listened well, and knew what not to do. They were good kids. Minho sighed softly as he looked out the window. Jinki glanced over and fondly smiled. The man was still as beautiful as the day he saw him, even if he was worn around the edges. Jinki offered his hand palm up to the man and Minho took it with a warm smile.

 

            Minho always used to joke that their hands were sculpted so they could hold hands perfectly. Both men’s hands were worn well from age and work, but they still felt the same to them.

 

            Jinki’s hand stayed intertwined with Minho’s in the man’s lap all the way home.

 

                                                                          ——-

 

            When their son and daughter came over to pick up their kids that night all of them were curled up asleep on their grandparents. Lion King was playing on the TV softly. Sujin was laying between them, her feet on one and her head leaned against the other. Minho had Minhae curled on his chest, and Jinho was laying similarly on Jinki’s.

 

            Their daughter Eunmi took Jinho while Sujin was gently woken up. Both their children shook their heads with fond smiles as the baby was handed over to their son and they caught sight of their shirts. Eunmi laughed softly. “You still have those?”

 

            Minho wrapped his arms around Jinki’s waist and rested his head on his shoulder as the man answered, “Why yes. Yes we do.”

 

            Their son Sunkyu shook his head as he adjusted Minhae’s diaper bag on his shoulder. “I thought you two threw those out years ago.”

 

            Jinki gasped dramatically. “Throw them out?! Blasphemy.”

 

            Eunmi kissed both her dads’ cheeks, Sunkyu hugged them both, and both waited for the two to kiss their grandkids goodbye. They thanked them for watching the kids for them for the night. Minho and Jinki just smiled and insisted it was no problem.

 

            Sujin was half asleep as she was being buckled into the car, but she managed to smile as she mumbled to her mom “I want love like Papa and Grandpa’s.”

 

            Eunmi looked back at her parents who were standing on the porch, Minho standing behind Jinki with both arms around his waist as the older of the two waved. She waved back as she smiled, “Me too little one.”

 

                                                                                    ——-