Day of Thanks

Blackest Friday

                Jonghyun continued to peer out the mostly whole, slatted window, eyes narrowed against the glare of the sun rising above the buildings.  People were beginning to stir, rummaging about for whatever goodies they could find in the relative safety of the day.  With Blackest Friday looming on the morrow - the thought of which made him glance down at the registration band on his wrist – the grabbers could afford to be patient.  They’d have plenty of pickings when everything was finished.

                The sound of cloth rustling gently drew his attention towards the interior of the cramped house and Jonghyun stepped away from the window to regard Daniel with a bemused expression.  The equally tall but considerably thinner man was busy trying to tidy the place up.  He kept picking up pieces of random clothes, clutching them nervously to his chest while he swiped at the too long hair around his face, and then set them down again, unsure where to put anything.  “You know you don’t have to do that, right?” Jonghyun asked, surprising Daniel in the general quiet.

                His companion looked up with a tired smile and shrugged, slightly chagrined.  “I know,” he admitted, glancing around the room.  “But I just want the place to look nice when everyone gets here, you know?”  His thumbnail found its way between his teeth as he surveyed the decently kept room and Jonghyun quietly covered the distance between them.

                “It’s fine,” he promised, grabbing Daniel’s arms in his hands gently, partially afraid he’d bruise the other man.  It had happened before, after all, so he was ever mindful.  When Daniel didn’t focus on him and continued to fret in his own world, Jonghyun cupped his cheek with his palm and deliberately leaned into view.  “They won’t care and this place is as clean as it’s going to get,” he smiled, watching as the focus and amusement returned to Daniel’s eyes.  “That’s what happens when brothers live together.”

                “And that’s why I have to do my part,” Daniel reminded him, leaning forward to rest his forehead against Jonghyun’s with his eyes closed.  His skeleton like fingers gripped the fabric of Jonghyun’s shirt, tickling his waist with the light contact.

                This close together, it was impossible to miss the sound of Daniel’s breathing: slightly labored and wet as if there was liquid in his lungs.  Jonghyun pushed the familiar sound to the back of his mind and sighed at the words.  He shook his head, careful not to dislodge Daniel.  “Dummy.  Even if you had a place to stay, I would have found a way to convince Minsoo to let you stay here.”  He heard a whisper of sound from Daniel which he assumed was the barest of laughs, and pulled the other man against him.  “Come here,” he whispered, hugging him in the circle of his embrace.  He felt spindly arms wrap around his back while Daniel rested his head on Jonghyun’s shoulder.

                “You don’t have to do this for me,” Daniel whispered, his arms tightening, though the effect was still pitifully weak and he struggled not to cough.

                “Yes I do,” Jonghyun murmured with his lips pressed against Daniel’s brown hair.  “You’ll die if we don’t.  And I won’t accept that.”

                Daniel swallowed loudly, struggling for the words.  He whimpered once in the back of his throat and went on, “But if you go out there, you might die too.”

                There was no denying that fact so Jonghyun didn’t bother to try.  “You made it back last year,” he pointed out instead, ignoring the part where their entire friend circle was mad at him for trying to go alone.  If he’d have asked any of them, they would have gone too.  Especially since it was no secret he was sick.  Courtesy of his father’s genetics, Daniel had been tolerably sick as a child but recently, the symptoms been getting progressively worse and the basic medicine at the clinic only did so much.

                “That doesn’t count,” Daniel muttered unhappily, turning his head to rest his mouth against Jonghyun’s shoulder instead.  The truth of the matter was, Daniel had entered the arena but after a close call early on with another participant, and a relative inability to breathe, he’d found a cubby hole to hide in until the time was almost expired and escaped mostly unscathed, if entirely unsuccessful.

                Jonghyun remembered it painfully clear in his mind: the waiting and wondering if Daniel would return; watching the barriers separating the residential homes from the target zone like a hawk; feeling helpless at not being able to join; and angry about not being told in the first place.  “Still,” he laughed once, shaking his black bangs out of his eyes briefly.  “We’ve got a pretty good chance and you know Minsoo’s been through it before.  Byunghyun’s got second-hand knowledge from his dad too.  As long as we’re careful, it should be a straightforward run.”  He winced when Daniel held to him harder.

                “It’s never a straightforward run out there,” he whispered, trembling slightly.

                Regrettably, that was also true and Jonghyun his lips, taking a slow, steady breath as he just held onto Daniel.  He wished he could heal him.  Part of him wished the grabbers could find an organ that would fix everything or a way to replace the ‘sick’ part of Daniel, but the disease was incurable.  Organ transplants could help him live longer, potentially, but they would only extend his already short, predicted lifespan.  If his father’s minimal history was any indication, Daniel himself wouldn’t last that much longer either.

                Not for the first time, Jonghyun wished they had the money to buy the medicine he needed: Elyixur – the standard cure-all the government offered every year as opposed to any specific medicine.  It was expensive to be sure, but it, more than anything else in the listings, generated the most conflict and thereby the most viewers which helped bring in more profits from the super wealthy tuning in to watch.  Even those who didn’t need it wanted it; after all, they could make a ridiculous profit all the same…

                “Come on,” Jonghyun urged when he knew that line of thought would lead to nothing good.  “The others should be back soon.  And we can’t have you looking like I’ve been yelling at you when they get here,” he teased, pushing back and raising Daniel’s chin up so he could get a better look at his face.

                “Like they’d believe that,” Daniel scoffed as he wiped at his shimmery eye with the back of the sleeve at his wrist.

                “I don’t know,” Jonghyun gave him a nonplussed look, one brow raised above a skeptical brown eye.  “You can be very convincing when you want to be.”

                That made Daniel laugh, transforming his face from the morose, pensive expression it had been to one that lit up his sickness dulled eyes and brought life to the fading form once more.  “I learned from the best,” he nodded, picking his head up to give Jonghyun a sidelong look.

                “Minsoo?” the younger man teased with a playful frown.

                Daniel scoffed again, rolling his eyes as he pushed Jonghyun away with a shake of his head.  “Go back to keeping watch.  I’ll make sure there are at least enough chairs for all of us to sit down,” he urged, gesturing at Jonghyun to return to the window.

                Without complaint, the younger man did just that, crossing his arms over his chest and resuming his watch leaning against the frame.  Nothing had changed since he’d left, though the clock tower showed it was past nine already.  The damn thing had stopped chiming on the hour a couple years ago and no one thought it worthwhile to fix.  It was aggravating, especially since most of them couldn’t afford a watch themselves.  Not to mention it put them at greater risk of being attacked if they did have one…

                Even though he knew Byunghyun could generally take care of himself, and those with him, Jonghyun was still glad when he saw the trio walk swiftly into view.  You didn’t run in the poorer districts: it made you automatic prey.  Moving quickly with a purpose tended to leave one relatively unnoticed though, and it was the favored pace of those who weren’t associated with the grabbers.

                Jonghyun opened the battered door for them just as they reached the house, letting the group duck inside as he surveyed the nearby area warily before closing and locking it behind them.  He heard Daniel greeting the newcomers enthusiastically, putting on a brave front, as he turned around to see him hugging Changhyun in particular, the backpack making it endearingly awkward.

                “Look at you,” Daniel beamed, holding Changhyun at arm’s length as he glanced up and down the shorter boy’s form.  “You look so good,” he laughed, earning a quirked brow from Jonghyun and a hidden laugh from Chanhee.

                “Damn,” Changhyun scrunched up his face as he worriedly roughed his hair up more.  “I was trying to blend in,” he explained as he quickly looked over his attire and glanced to the side when his comment brought more amusement from his companions.  “What?”

                “You can dress like us all you want,” Byunghyun began, shucking out of his backpack and setting it on the ground with a cluck of disappointment from Daniel.  “But an outsider will always be an outsider,” he shrugged, returning the frown Chanhee gave him when he glanced at the other man.

                “True,” Jonghyun commented before anyone else could say something, stepping into the midst of the group with his finger raised.  “But this outsider is an honorary insider,” he added with a slight glare at Byunghyun before he winked at Daniel.  The latter grinned at the clarification and nodded along with a hand on Changhyun’s shoulder.

                “Exactly!” he cheered, sticking his tongue at Byunghyun who rolled his eyes in response and then smirked when Chanhee sent a similarly disapproving frown in Daniel’s direction.

                “Welcome to our home,” Jonghyun greeted as he brought Changhyun into the circle of his arms.  They were all usually distrustful of outsiders, but this one he was indebted to for helping take care of Daniel when they still didn’t know he was sick and before things got worse.

                “Thank you,” the shorter boy grinned, pulling back and hooking his thumbs under the straps of his pack, looking very much like a smudged boy scout in that moment.

                “Here,” Jonghyun offered, reaching for the pack politely.

                Changhyun stepped back with a waving gesture and shook his head.  “It’s okay.  I’ve got it,” he nodded, letting his eyes scan the room with interest.  “This is a nice place,” he complimented vaguely, trying to be polite.

                A preemptive glare at Byunghyun from Jonghyun and Daniel both had the shorter man biting his tongue before he could say anything in response.  “Thanks,” Jonghyun nodded, gesturing towards the kitchen.  “Daniel mentioned you were probably bringing stuff for later.”

                “Huh?” Changhyun blinked, pulling himself back to the words instead of the dilapidated state of the house.  “Yes.  All in here,” he agreed, patting the strap with a nod.  “Is there somewhere I can put it?” he asked.

                “As long as it doesn’t need to be kept cold,” Daniel agreed, laying his hand on Changhyun’s shoulder as he guided him into the dingy and hastily cleaned room.

                “Oh,” the boy murmured uncertainly.  “There are a couple things…”

                “That’s alright,” Daniel assured him with a wave.  “We’ll just eat those first.”

                The remaining trio watched the pair wander into the kitchen and then turned to regard each other, comfortable with the familiar silence between them.  Byunghyun looked around with a curious expression though and frowned, “Where’s Minsoo?”

                Jonghyun made a slight face and shrugged his shoulders, nodding towards the front door.  “He went by to check on the family.”  Byunghyun mirrored his expression.  “Said he wanted to make sure the kids had a decent Day of Thanks so he took most of our food since he knew Changhyun was coming by today.”

                “I still think it’s bull you guys had to leave,” Byunghyun muttered, sitting down and digging through his pack to make himself appear busy.

                “Eh,” Jonghyun shrugged, perching on the arm of one of the beat up chairs in the main room.  “We do better than them most days.  I woulda gone to see them too but…” he gestured towards the kitchen where they could hear Daniel and Changhyun talking quietly, the sound of cans clicking on a hard surface carrying between their voices.

                “It’s good that you stayed with him,” Chanhee assured him with a gentle smile as he placed a hand on Byunghyun’s shoulder, the gesture quietly grateful.

                “Of course,” Jonghyun smiled warmly, turning to look back towards the kitchen.

                “Hey, Jong,” Byunghyun called, drawing his attention once more.  When he looked back, the seated man was holding out a folded paper with markings on it, looking at him expectantly.

                “What’s that?” he asked, curious.

                “A map of the town for tomorrow,” Byunghyun grinned slyly.  “My old man gave it to me.  It’s got some really neat paths and entrances we can use.”

                He paused when Jonghyun gave him quick shake of his head.  “Not right now.”  He gently pushed the paper back so Byunghyun could put it away.  “Let’s just enjoy today for the moment,” he explained, letting his gaze stray back towards the kitchen, a concerned smile gracing his features.

                “Fine, fine.  Later,” Byunghyun huffed, stuffing the map in his pocket before he fiddled with the band on his wrist nervously: it was identical to the one Jonghyun was wearing.

                “When do you think Minsoo will be back?” Chanhee wondered aloud, glancing at the door almost expectantly, his index finger scratching at the side of his face thoughtfully.

                Jonghyun shrugged without looking back.  “Probably soon.  He doesn’t usually stay long.”

                “Ah,” Chanhee mouthed, nodding slowly.  “I’m going to see if they need any help, okay?” he indirectly asked, looking at Byunghyun as if for permission.

                “Sure.  Go ahead,” the seated man gestured with a sidelong glance, shaking his head with a wry smile when the redhead sidled past.

                Jonghyun stepped aside to give him a wider birth and chirped in the back of his throat.  “He’s getting bolder.”

                “A little.  He’s still skittish as a stray dog around most people though,” Byunghyun wrinkled his nose and scratched at his neck distractedly.

                “Considering what he was like when your dad found and kept him, he’s come a long way,” Jonghyun complimented with a modicum of respect, glancing back at the shorter man who was nodding in agreement.

                “That he has.”

                Eventually, the trio in the kitchen made their way back out to take over the living room once more.  Daniel settled himself comfortably on Jonghyun’s lap, using him as a superior cushion to the latter’s mock annoyance, while Chanhee settled himself between Changhyun and Byunghyun, content to be near both.  They talked and laughed, exchanging stories in an effort to keep the mood light and push back the onus of the morrow.

                When they heard a knock on the door around ten - Byunghyun checked the clock to see the time - the shorter man let Minsoo in who grinned at the person before him.  Tall and muscled, with long braided strands of black hair, Minsoo had the presence of a man who could handle himself in a fight.  At least until he opened his mouth or got around his friends.  His dark eyes nearly disappeared in the smile that lit up his face and his slightly stained teeth flashed through his mouth when he gripped hands with Byunghyun and drew him close to bump chests in a friendly manner, the difference in height almost comical.

                “Good to see you,” Minsoo chuckled, sweeping his gaze over the gathered crowd.

                “Thought you might have got lost for a bit there,” Byunghyun teased, falling back with the taller man as they rejoined the circle.

                “Nah.  Mom and the little ones just didn’t want to see me go,” he dismissed, reaching out to ruffle Jonghyun’s hair playfully before he touched Daniel’s shoulder in quiet greeting and finally turned his attention to Chanhee and Changhyun.  “Chanhee,” he saluted with two fingers from afar, keeping his distance so the other man would have no reason to get nervous about Minsoo standing over him.  “Good to see you again, Changhyun,” he reached out to shake the younger man’s hand, gripping firmly so that his eyes crinkled in erse amusement when the boy yelped at the strength.

                “Soo,” Jonghyun chided with a frown, though Changhyun just waved it off.

                “It’s alright.  I just always forget how strong your brother is,” he laughed, rubbing his hand reactively.

                “What’d I miss?” Minsoo asked, shucking the bag over his shoulder to the floor and throwing himself down onto the open seat, a rickety, foldout chair that threatened to break under his weight.  He rested his wrist on his knee but then shook it out and changed positions when the band around it bit into skin.

                “Nothing much.  We were just talking,” Daniel smiled, gesturing at the circle.  “Changhyun was saying something about one of the visitors at the clinic the other day,” he threw the spotlight back on the young man.

                “Oh?  Do tell,” Minsoo gave a lopsided smile and settled in to listen with the others.

                Noon rolled around before their stories ran out and Chanhee suggested they break for lunch.  Jonghyun agreed, if only because his legs were starting to fall asleep and Daniel made a face at him for implying he was too heavy.  They continued teasing each other while they headed into the kitchen.  Behind them, Minsoo and Byunghyun acted in a similar manner, if more crass in nature, while Chanhee and Changhyun brought up the rear, left alone by mutual agreement within the group.  Joking with either of the other two was trickier since one didn’t get the references much and the other didn’t take jokes well, though he was getting better.

                Still eager to please and be a part of something, Changhyun took to the front with Daniel when they were shelling out the goodies for lunch.  All the cans and boxes and packaged goods were pristine and fresh, quite unlike what most of them were used to, and the youngest man was more than happy to explain what some of the lesser known foods were.  Especially the ones they needed to eat first since they didn’t have a working refrigerator in the house.

                They ate standing up in the kitchen, gathered around the small space which kept them close in a cozy manner as they continued talking.  No one mentioned Blackest Friday or the rewards up for grabs.  Everyone ignored the bands on three of the wrists in the circle.  As the day implied, they were simply thankful for each other’s company, and the ‘awesome,’ as Daniel put it, food that Changhyun had brought.

                Pleasantly sated and drowsy from the unusually rich food, Minsoo called for a nap, eyeing both Jonghyun and Byunghyun in particular.  “You know you’ll need the rest for later.”

                “Yeah, yeah,” Byunghyun waved with his hand, sighing in irritation.

                “I’m gonna stay up for a bit longer,” Jonghyun explained, glaring back at his brother when Minsoo pointed a warning finger at him.  “Would you go lay down already?” he shooed impudently.

                “Brat,” Minsoo smirked, shaking his head so that his hair swayed behind him when he walked.

                Byunghyun silently followed suit until he paused to point his finger at Changhyun, “Don’t touch my stuff while I’m sleeping, alright?”

                “Quit being paranoid,” Daniel chastised in irritation, swiping at Byunghyun’s finger from afar.  The shorter man made a disgruntled face and narrowed his eyes but didn’t retort as he followed Minsoo, shutting themselves off from the others to rest up for the morrow.  “Sorry about that,” Daniel apologized to Changhyun who just shrugged in acceptance.

                “It’s alright.  I understand,” he promised, clasping his hands together in front of him.  “I’m almost surprised you decided to let me stay,” he admitted with a shy smile.

                “I surprised your grandparents let you come,” Jonghyun threw back, earning a thoughtful nod.

                “Eh.  They worry, but they don’t actually forbid me from anything,” Changhyun explained.  “They think that’s what sent mom running into the city after she found dad.  And now they just stay there and send money back and let me know they’re alive from time to time.  Could be worse,” he nodded, trying not to glance at Chanhee or Daniel intentionally.

                “At least they’re alive,” Daniel consoled as he hugged himself, his thumb rubbing against his upper arm nervously.  Across from him, Chanhee sat very still, face carefully neutral, though he still looked incredibly vulnerable with the topic they were discussing.

                “At least they care,” Jonghyun compromised, brushing his fingers against Daniel’s arm as his eyes darted towards Chanhee.  It was all the reminder the other man needed and he cringed.  None of them brought it up after Byunghyun told them the story once, but it was impossible to forget Chanhee’s addict parents had sold him when he was younger; they needed the money for drugs.  His buyer had not been kind.

                “But you know,” Daniel began, reaching over to thread his fingers through Jonghyun’s.  “I’m thankful for this family,” he grinned, the expression softening considerably when he met Jonghyun’s gaze.

                “Me too,” Jonghyun responded and both were heartened when Chanhee relaxed noticeably to chirp a verbal agreement.

                “I’m thankful to be a part of your circle too,” Changhyun added with a nod.  “I’m always amazed by how well you guys do for living out here,” he went on, looking at the worn down house again.  It was sort of a backhand compliment but none of them faulted him for it.  He wasn’t trying to put them down after all.  Nor did he exactly know the whole truth either…

                The trio let their honorary insider continue to marvel for a little longer before Daniel focused his attention on Jonghyun again.  “You should probably get some rest too,” he sighed, flexing his fingers around the other man’s.

                “I know,” he murmured in response, reaching up to brush the hair out of Daniel’s face with the backs of his fingers, the unspoken, ‘But I’d rather spend time with you,’ heavy in the air between them.

                “Go on,” Daniel urged after a long pause, chewing his full bottom lip all the while.  “We’ll make sure you don’t sleep too long,” he promised, standing up to tug on Jonghyun’s hand plaintively.  His antics were childlike and theatrical as he pretended it was impossible, though the effort did make him short of breath.  But everyone laughed and Jonghyun got to his feat, groaning loudly in complaint.

                “You’re so mean to me,” he pouted with slumped shoulders, giving Daniel sad eyes that peered at him from under hooded lids with a crumpled expression beneath them.  He blinked when Chanhee and Changhyun tried to stifle amused laughs.  “Oops,” Jonghyun grinned sheepishly, laughing at himself when he realized it was not an expression he often used when other people were around.

                “That was cute,” Changhyun grinned, delighted by the display.

                “Yeah, yeah,” Jonghyun waved, putting on his cool façade as he moved to step around Daniel.  He stopped when he drew abreast though and grabbed Daniel’s chin so he could pull him in for a quick, light kiss, his eyes crinkling when it conjured a warm expression for both of them.

                Feeling all eyes on him, Jonghyun ducked out of the room towards the safety of Minsoo’s bedroom.  They’d sleep for a while, wake up to hang out and plan, and then enjoy dinner together before hashing out any final details.  Another nap, if they could manage it, would follow so they’d be ready to start as soon as it became Blackest Friday.  Jonghyun shuddered at the thought.  He’d never participated in one; Minsoo would have had his hide if he tried.  But tomorrow, he would be stepping into that dangerous arena with his brother and Byunghyun to see if they could do the improbable: obtain the Elyixur and get out relatively unscathed.

                Given what they were going to be up against, even he couldn’t predict how things were going to pan out.

 

(a/n: So Daniel's illness is based off an actual one, though I'm being a little creative with it since it's a futuristic setting with the potential for mutated illnesses and aberrations and whatnot.  I hope you're still interested thus far since the next couple chapters are likely to be a bit tense.  ;)  If you know my work, you also know I like action sequences and you're likely to see some coming up.  Thank you for reading and please look forward to more!)