Starting Over Again

Starting Over Again

The first time we met, we were in highschool. He was a new student in our school. I’m not really the type to talk to strangers that’s why I didn’t bother getting to know him. His good looks and his laid back personality was what made him have a lot of friends. I’m usually the quiet type but that doesn’t mean I’m friendless. In fact, I do have a lot and in different status quos too. The cool kids: that was where he belonged. Being friends with a few popular guys and girls made me one of them too. By our third year, we happen to become classmates and that was when our story started.

First day, 3rd yr highschool:

“Ok class, I’ll have you grouped into learning teams and this will be your group for the entire school year. So you better get along well with everyone, understood?” Mrs. Kim, our homeroom teacher said.

“Yes, seonsaengnim!”

“For learning team 5, we have Ryeowook, Tao, Sehun, Sungyeol, Minah, Hyera, Bomi, Yuri, Bora and Jiyeon. Hyera-sshi? You will be their leader.”

“Yes, seonsaengnim.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I can’t believe I’m grouped with those troublemakers! And I’ll be with them for the whole year?! Aish just my luck!”, I groaned.

“I know, but we have no other choice, I guess we’ll just have to get along with them.”

“I guess you’re right Minah.” *sighs*

“AW, cheer up Hyera! You may not see it yet but I’m telling you we have the best group ever!”

“Oh shut up Yuri! We all know the only reason you’re so happy with our group is because of a person named T-A-O.”

“BORA! I told you guys to keep it a secret. Whatever, I’m getting lunch.”

And at that, we all became a laughing mess. The usually chic and composed Yuri is just too cute when in love; getting all red when even just Tao’s name is mentioned. She liked the guy ever since she saw him doing that Wushu stunt in PE class, and that was like 3 years ago! (aigoo yuri)

The rest of my afternoon classes went by smoothly, getting to know our teachers and what should be expected about every subject. And pretty soon, it was time for us to go.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday went by and Tuesday came, first period was PE class. Our PE teacher is Ms. Park.

“Ok class, we’ll have a physical fitness test. You go together with your group and I want the leaders to record the data of your members starting from their height and weight. Move now.”

“Annyeong, leader-sshi!”

“Hi Ryeowook, now please stand straight by the wall so I can record your height then you may resume doing whatever you were doing.”

“I was just looking at you, but I guess this one’s better because I get to be this close to you.” Was he just hitting on me?! It was the first interaction between us two, ever since he came into this school, even if we hang out with the same circle, all we ever had was just a mere exchange of greetings. It was the first time we actually talked and he was hitting on me, seriously?

I just rolled my eyes at him and decided to ignore what he was saying. “173cm. Please step away now.”

I thought he’d just leave quietly but then again, I was wrong. “I’m tall right?”

“Hmm, let’s see. Tao: 183cm, Sehun: 181cm, and Sungyeol: 183cm. And you? No Ryeowook, YOU ARE NOT TALL. Now, please stop bothering me.”

“But I’m still taller than you, that counts right?” I glared at him yet this person just smiled at me with a hint of mischief in his eyes. He actually enjoys mocking me, hul.

“Ryeowook, Hyera doesn’t like you, so please go away.”

“Ouch Minah, that hurt.” Ryeowook clutched his chest and pretended to act hurt. Minah, straightforward as always but it didn’t seem to affect the guy. He just laughed and walked off. But still a mouthed a thank you to Minah and she just smiled back.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

PE was tiring. Fortunately, our next class was Music class, and for our first session, our teacher, Mr. Jung, decided to just let us listen to songs that are written by people we will be talking about in the future. Listening to music really relaxes me and eases my mind.

“I like Mr. Jung Taekwoon.” I commented.

“Me too, he’s like so cool, and he’s handsome too!” Jiyeon practically squealed just looking at Mr. Jung.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After the relaxing music class, it became easy to go on with my other lessons and unknowingly, class is done for the day. (yehet?xD)

As we were heading out, I realized that I left my PE uniform in the classroom. I told my friends to go ahead and I’ll just catch up to them.

On my way to the room, I heard voices and immediately recognized it as Ryeowook’s voice,

“No Kyungsoo, I’m not doing it.”

“Please Ryeowook, the opening ceremony will be this coming Friday, just this once, please. You are the only one that I know with a voice that fits so well with this song. Help me this once please.”

Wait, Ryeowook CAN SING?!

“He’s the best, in singing I mean.”

“Minah! Geez, you scared me. Did you follow me back here? Wait, how did you know that he can sing?”

“I met him at a singing camp, summer before we entered high school. Kyungsoo was there too. Ryeowook was one of the best in that camp. His high notes are amazing and as light as a feather. Not only that, he composes songs and plays the piano too. I wonder why he didn’t write that in his profile.”

“Not only that, he volunteers in Church and in the neighborhood too! Right Ryeowook?”

Bomi’s sudden interruption not only scared the hell out of me and Minah but also to Ryeowook and Kyungsoo judging by the looks on their faces.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“How did we end up going home together?”

“Uhmm… because Kyungsoo and Minah begged you to convince me?”

“Ohhhh.. So, you can really sing, compose songs and play the piano?”

“Maybe.”

“And you even do volunteer work?”

“Are you interested in me now?”

“No.”

“Then I won’t answer your question.”

“Oh c’mon Ryeowook, I’m serious!”

“To answer your questions, Yes. I can sing, I can compose, I can play the piano and I spend my time doing volunteer work. Happy?”

“Wow. I can’t believe you’re that kind of person.”

“No one really does. Haha.”

The rest of our walk to my street was filled with silence, and then;

“Listen, I know I didn’t really give you a good first impression since 3 years ago, you know, with the troublemaker act and all. But I want you to know that from the start, I only did those things so I can have your attention. Obviously it didn’t work. But still, I won’t give up. Please give me a chance to get to know you and talk to you more than just an exchange of hi and hellos. Or better, please give me a chance to start over.”

“What do you mean with ‘starting over’?”

“*coughs and adjusts his uniform* Hi! My name is Kim Ryeowook, 3rd year high school. NOT REALLY a troublemaker. I sing, compose songs, play the piano and do volunteer work in my free time. And, I like this girl from school whose name I am about to find out in 5, 4, 3, 2, ... 1.”

“Hi! My name is Kang Hyera, 3rd year high school. Promising from now on to pay more attention to a certain Ryeowook in class who happens to like me but I kinda have a bad first impression about him.”

We both laughed at how silly we seemed but we also realized how comfortable we actually are with each other.

“So, will I hear you sing for opening this Friday?”

“It depends. Will you come to see me on Friday?”

“If I say I’ll be there, will you?”

“Of course!”

“Then I will.”

Meanwhile, 2 troublemakers are hiding behind a tree: “I told you he likes her! Now pay up Sehun!”, “Shut up Sungyeol or they’ll hear us!” “Whatever, just pay me now, I won.”

Oh well, seems like my 3rd year in high school just got interesting.