Chapter 1

My scar girl

I tilted my head slightly to the right and sighed when I saw that hideous scar under my left ear from the mirror.

 

I sighed again. My wish didn't come true again.

 

Every single day when I wake up to this cruel world, I hope this ugly scar will disappear somehow and I will be living like a normal person. Having a peaceful life like what i should have. Not living as a freak like what i am living now.

 

I touched my scar gently, feeling the rough, uneven contour of the scar. Just by a simple touch, waves of unpleasant memories flooded my mind. How this scar come about, how people treated me differently after I got this scar.

 

It came when I was eleven, during lesson time. I remembered that period was mathematics and I was solving maths questions diligently like what I always did. Little did I know that my life is going to change in a few seconds.

 

At first, I only felt a little heated at the area below my left ear, nothing more than that, so I continued doing my work without thinking much. However, out of the blue, the heat became stronger and hot steam began emitting out and passes through my long hair that was covering it. I got panicked and quickly covered that area, hoping that that will stop the steam from emitting but that action only make it even worser.

 

When I came in contact with that area of skin, my hand was acting like a igniter and fire was set up.  It started burning and the flames become larger and larger as each second passes. 

 

A big crowd was formed around me and my maths teacher shouted to some of my classmates to bring a bucket of water for me. 

 

Some were screaming and shouting to asked someone to put the fire off but no one dares to take the job and everyone were shifting away from me, afraid that they will get burn. 

 

Strangely, out of all the chaos, I was calmed enough to realise that these flames didn't hurt me at all. I just felt a mild burning sensation over the area under my ear, which was a stark contrast to the big flames that was burning my long hair.

 

While I was immersed in my own thoughts,  a bucket of cold water was splashed against me from my back, instantly stopping all commotions.

 

I clasped my head tightly with both of my hands and the last thing I heard was the shouts of my name.

 

I still remember vividly the fear and confusion that I felt when I woke up. It took me a few seconds to register where am I and what had happened to me. I remembered that my hair was being burned and consciously went in front of a mirror in the room and looked at my burned hair. 

 

My hair looked hideous. 

 

It was uneven in length and much shorter than the rest. It was as if being cut by an unexperienced hairdresser with a broken scissors.

 

My hair looks ugly.

I looked even more ugly. 

 

I cried and cried and cried until my parents came and embraced me in one of the most comfort hug that I ever have. Their presences were the greatest comfort and relief to me. My parents are the only people that stood with me, helped me when I was in difficult situation, when everyone sees me as a freak. They are all what I have. 

And after that crazy burning, I have an ugly scar under my left ear permanently and it took me a long time to grow back my long hair to cover the scar.

'Honey, are you done? Quickly come down and have your breakfast if not you will be late for school !' Mum shouted from the living room. 

 

'Okay!' I replied. I took one last glance at my reflection and head down to the living room.  

 

When I reached the living room, Dad put down his newspaper and gave me a hug. 

 

'Happy birthday darling!' Dad said as he patted my back lovingly.

 

'What do you want for your 18th birthday?' Dad asked as he released me.

 

I laughed sheepishly. 

 

'Actually I don't remember today is my birthday...' I scratched my head awkwardly.

 

'How can you forget your own birthday darling?' Dad laughed a little. 

 

'Heehe I don't know too.' I smiled as I started chewing my sandwich that Mum just passed me. 

 

'And darling, remember to come home early today. We have a surprise for you, so quickly come back when you are dismissed.' Mum said excitedly as she clasped her hands together.

 

'Okay but what surprise for me?' I asked, nonchalent even though deep down I am really curious. After years 'being' a freak, I'm not really good at expressing my feelings.

 

'It is not a surprise if I tell you what is the surprise.' Mum wiggled her brows and continued, ' I know you will love it.'

 

I nodded and finished the last bit of sandwich before leaving for school.

 

I sauntered to school slowly since i do not want to be in school for even a second longer because of the treatment that I will received everyday.

 

On the way to school, I had already received a few callous remarks like 'freak' and 'monster'. Unconsiously when I hear these remarks, I will gather some of my hair to ensure that my scar is fully concealed. Even though I know that by doing concealing isn't much of a help since everyone knows(news spread fast in a small town), I still do this which kind of giving myself security.

 

As I reached my desk which is located in the remote corner of the classroom, I could see 'new nicknames' for me engraved on my wooden table. 

 

Witch. Black magic. Cheater. Ghost.

 

I sighed as I placed my note book on it to cover these words and took my book out to read. My favourite book, Five people you meet in heaven.

 

Slam!

 

I looked up from my book and a hand was sent across my right cheek suddenly.

 

'You witch. Why are you still here? Are you harbouring evil intentions to hurt us?' Jane spewed.

 

I kept my eyes on the floor and did not reply her. I know that by replying back, things will be even worse than ever.

 

I heard her scoffed loudly which successfully gain everyone's attention in the room. 

 

Jane grabbed my book forcefully from my hand and said, 'Han Eunbyul, what are you reading you witch? Are you planning to go to heaven after you die? Let me tell you, a little witch like you will not go to heaven. You evil thing will go hell. Hell is where you truely belong.'

 

A loud roll of laughter set across the room, as agreeing with what Jane had said. 

 

Jane smirked in success and returned back to her desk while saying 'watch out' to me.

 

My heart sank in relief when she ended her 'little routine' of dissing me. 

 

'Nothing worser.' I thought as I sighed in relief.

 

With every eyes on me, I went back reading my book and stared at the page of words even though none went into my mind right now.

 

I just wish that time go faster so I can leave this hellhole and back to my comfort zone.

 

 

 

 

 

Thanks for reading and subscribing. :)