Final

Together for Eternity

He could barely feel anything anymore. He could only, faintly tell the warmth of the flames at his arm before darkness embraced him.

               

                When he finally was able to open his eyes again, he felt dizzy. Fear overrode all of his senses and despair was clearly etched on to his soft features as he stood up. “Yoongi!” The male shouted loudly as he scanned through the all the mess of broken airplane pieces. Jimin was aware he wasn’t breathing, he was aware of the lack of a heartbeat in his chest. He knew he was dead, but that was not his priority. No, his priority lied on his lover that could still be possibly alive and hurting. He might’ve been killed in that horrible airplane crash, but if Yoongi, by some miracle, was still alive than he’d do anything to keep him alive.

                The younger male tried to remember where he had taken his last breath, but all he could remember was pain and the warmth of fire. Fire. He snapped out of his thoughts and ran towards the fire, he could remember how he had felt it starting to reach his arm, but his lover should’ve been safely away from it, or so he hoped. When he got there, he could see how his whole arm and part of his leg had been swollen by the bright flames. Yet, he couldn’t care, because besides his dead body lied the man he loved so much.

                Tears were quickly welling up in his eyes as he observed the horrid sight before his eyes. Yoongi was covered in his own blood and some metal bar had pierced him right through his chest. The older wasn’t breathing, his lover was dead and he wasn’t there besides him. Never in his life had Jimin felt so scared, so lonely. All he could think about was that he was dead, stuck in some sort of limbo without the person he loved the most, without the person that he had sworn never to part from.

                The male never had felt that desolated in his life. He had had a good life, but now his after life seemed to be dark and something he was not ready for. All he wanted to do was cry and scream out in anger, but before he could get to that point two arms s around his frame and a warm, deep voice murmured to him.

“I’m here, I’m never leaving you Minnie. Together until death do us apart in life and together in the afterlife. Wasn’t that what we promised in our wedding day?” Yoongi said softly as he held the trembling male in his arms. He wasn’t even sure how rules worked for the dead. All the elder knew was that their hearts weren’t beating anymore and that they seemed to be invisible to the rest, because firefighters were rushing past them without a single care. To be honest, Yoongi didn’t give a damn about the rules or how things worked now, all he cared about was keeping Jimin close to him and safe from pain.

He already felt guilty over failing to protect the boy when the plane started to lose altitude. Yoongi had forced Jimin down into a position of safety and covered him with his own body, disregarding his own safety. Because, when they were falling all that was in his mind was to keep his lover safe, to keep him alive. Yet they crashed and he had had a metal rod from the seats pierce through him, killing him almost instantly.

                Whe he finally woke up and he was out of his body, he scrambled to Jimin’s side to check if he had been able to keep him unharmed. Yet, when he got there, the male was covered in blood, struggling to breathe and he could see the light in his eyes wither away. He cursed himself for failing to keep the younger safe in life, but he swore to keep him safe in the afterlife. No matter what, he would keep his lover happy and safe in his embrace for the eternity that awaited them.

                It was with such thought in mind that he held the younger tightly in his arms and murmured sweet nothings against his skin. They were fine as long as they were together.

They stayed like that until the flames had been put out and bodies recovered by the rescue teams. Time was as if as frozen for them and they had no rush, they could take their time to discover how things processed for them now.

Months had passed, or was it years? Neither of them kept track of time anymore, they just wondered through time. They had come to the conclusion they could wonder back in time and to the present on a whim and it was something they just had to explore and enjoy. They had decided to keep wondering through time, until they were both ready to move on to whatever it was next.

Yoongi had been ready to move on for quite some time now, but Jimin was not. Jimin was scared that the next step was oblivion or reincarnation, that he would lose Yoongi and not be able to ever find him again. So, he kept on saying he was not ready to move on. Yet, he knew he was never going to be prepared to the idea of possibly losing the other, his soul mate.

“Let’s go back to the day you proposed. I… I’m ready to continue this journey, but I want to go back to the happiest day of my life.” Jimin said calmly as he stared at the ocean and held Yoongi’s hand in his. The older was surprised to hear the other say such thing, but he was also happy that he was starting to face the reality of things a bit more. “Alright, last visit into the past before we continue.” The older mumbled and pressed a soft kiss to his lover’s temple, before pulling him back into the past.

Jimin smiled as he walked into the familiar kitchen of the first house he and Yoongi had shared together. He could see the mess of frosting and attempts at food and deserts scatters on the counter tops. All because that night Yoongi had decided to prepare him a romantic dinner to propose to his oblivious young self. He smiled at the memories of it. The other had never been much into grand gestures of display of his love, but he had put so much effort into that night that the younger couldn’t have had it any other way, that had been a perfect moment. Their perfect moment.

He watched as their young selves danced together after much laughter and corny jokes about how everything was weirdly perfect between them. A smile curled on his lips as he realized that they had been so young, when the proposal happened, that they had been together for so long. Yoongi had been nothing more than a 22 year old kid proposing to his 20 year old self. They were carefree and clueless about the world at that age, yet they had been ready to face everything, all because they had each other. They had been each other’s support from the day they met each other until their death.

Jimin had not even realized that tears were rolling down his cheeks as he witnessed that perfect little moment, the moment where Yoongi had sworn him eternity together and to protect him from everything and anything. He let his eyes fall shut as he felt warm fingers wipe away his salty tears and hummed. “You’ll never leave me right? Even if we get separated after this, you’ll find me right, Yoongi?”

The older turned his lover around and let his lips curl into a smile. His smile held all the love and affection in the world. He held Jimin tightly in his embrace and kissed his lips gently. His heart still fluttered at the simple touch of lips now, just like it did when they were teens. Despite now being in their 40’s, their feelings hadn’t changed, their souls had remained young, lively and innocently in love.

Yoongi released his lover and held his hand, entwining their fingers together, as he walked towards the light with him.

“No matter how far the universe pulls me away from you, I promise you I’ll find my way back to you, Jimin.”