Ch.3 Friendship

Fate

Ch. 3 Friendship

 

    Being a Consort was not at all grand like how most people assume it to be, though he had written countless letters back home to his family about how great his life was, in fact it wasn’t at all. He had not seen the Emperor since he had set foot in the Palace; aside from the very first day at the Courting Trials when he first arrived, nor had any other consorts.

    

    Consorts sometimes spent half their life in waiting for the right moment for the one chance to impress the Emperor;They say if you’re lucky enough you’d fall under the Emperor’s good grace, then you can life the rest of your life in prosperity and riches, but to meet the Emperor was as rare as the turning of the bluemoon.

 

Sungyeol wanted to try hard, he needed to fall under the Emperor’s good grace, for that is the only way he could help his family back home, and to do that he had to work hard on his studies. They were taught on every subject from inner court rules, language, customs, politics, art, music, dance, and even swordsmanship. As the Emperor’s courtesans these were important things to learn. They were much more advance and in depth than the tests he had received at the trials, and Sungyeol found himself keeping up with most of the subjects finely, all except music. Most days he was stressed out over his studies, however by the end of the day there was always one thing he looked forward to the most.

 

At the end of the day of every lesson, when he was done with it all; he got to meet that boy.

 

    It became a routine.

 

It had been a routine to meet at the exact same time everyday, in the same location. At first Sungyeol would deny, and call it a chance meeting, but eventually he couldn’t lie to himself anymore.Sungyeol couldn’t explain the earnest feeling he felt inside everyday when it was close to their meeting time. Right after studies he’d found himself running off quickly to the spot where they had first met, hoping to run into Myung again. Of course, Sungyeol’s desperation hadn’t gone to waste, Myung had been there, right on time; with a sweet smile on his face. Every time he saw Sungyeol approach from afar he would give Sungyeol a sweet smile (showing his dimpled cheeks) and a short wave before resting his hands behind his back again. There was no doubt that they had waited for each other, even though there was no real words spoken of it; no actual promise other than the one promise they made at the hilltop.

 

    Sungyeol was early today, or rather he was dismissed from studies earlier than usual for his lack of skills in musical studies. The Royal Musician Master Sunggyu had kicked him out of the music hall for breaking four strings on the harp like instruments, somehow dented the flute, and puncturing two drums. The topic this month were instruments, and each consort had to choose a specific instrument to master before the start of the Autumn Festival that would be held at the court. There would be many royal families attending from allying kingdoms from across the land. The Emperor’s Court couldn’t afford to fail at making a good impression. This was also a good chance to make an impression on the Emperor as well.

 

    Sungyeol scorned at the instrument in his hands as he seated himself on one of the stone benches in the Water Garden. He didn’t know why he didn’t choose dance instead of music. Master Sunggyu had forbidden him in use any other instruments after almost breaking them. Now he was handed this foreign instrument that he had never seen before in his life because according the Master Sunggyu it is called a Shamisen,

 

“The strings are more flexible, it would be impossible for you to break it.” Master Sunggyu had told him before shooing him out of the music hall.

 

Sungyeol pluck at the instrument a few times at first in a slow pace taking in small breath to relax himself, and trying to digest what his music teacher had taught him. It was frustrating being stuck in practicing this terrible foreign instrument while he could have freely roam around the gardens while he waited for Myung. He had even dressed extra nice today too. The attendants had dressed him in red. Long robes( decorated with phoenix and lily flower embroidered in gold threads) and complemented by a beautiful gold, red, and black patterned sash around his waist (also embroidered in a similar design to compliment his robes). His brownish red hair pulled to the side (half of it was tucked behind his ears and put in place by a gold leaves hair ornament (almost like a large hairpin). The ornament had some pieces that would dangle along the rest of his untucked hair.  He didn’t know why he wanted to look extra special today just for the sake of seeing his friend (even though he saw him everyday).

 

“Ok Sungyeol, you can do this...think about the Zen...like the old Shasimen masters in Japan.” The consort breathed out plucking away nervously at the instrument, fingers clumsily hitting the strings of the instruments.

 

“Wow, what is that awful noise?” A deep voice called out in amusement from above causing the brunette to look up in dismay. He was met with two pair of sharp eyes looking down at him. The other male gave Sungyeol a playful smirk, his figure was straight and tall with hands resting behind his back. Sungyeol gave him an angry pout and turned back to his instruments.

 

“Hmpt!”

 

“Oh its a Shasimen! I have some knowledge of this instrument, its from Japan isn’t it?” Myung called out with interests.

 

“Yes it is, and now if you excuse me I’m in the middle of practice.” Sungyeol answered in a matter-of- factly.

 

“Looks like you have A LOT of practicing to do heheh.” The other boy said amusingly causing Sungyeol to glare at him sharply. Sungyeol plucked at the instrument more violently causing deafening sound to come out.

 

“Ahh ok ok, I won’t bug you while you practice.” Myung said putting a finger to his ears. Sungyeol pouted further at the other boy’s reaction. Upon seeing this Myung smiled lite up further as he thought up of an idea.

 

“I know, how about I tutor you.” Myung suggested.

 

“Tutor me? You mean you actually know how to play this thing?” Sungyeol questioned, his voice called partly in shock and relief.

 

“Yep, I sure do. I had the opportunity to visit the royal courts of Old Edo before a few years back and they actually brought a few musicians back here to teach us some of the instruments from there.” Myung answered proudly, taking the instrument from Sungyeol and playing a few tunes.

 

“Hmmm not bad at all! I’m glad you’re actually quite useful.” Sungyeol smiled with glee, “Ok Eununch Myungmyung teach me how to play this...Shasimi and I’ll grant you whatever you wish once I fall in the Emperor’s good grace and become Consort of 1st Rank!”

 

“Haah, sure...and it’s a Shasimen by the way, not Shashimi. Shashimi is a raw fish dish oooh great 3rd Rank Consort!” Myung corrected giving Sungyeol a quick pretend bow. “And stop calling me Eunuch Myungmyung, how many times did I tell you I’m not a eunuch!”

 

“Sure sure whatever, now teach me!” Sungyeol commanded.

 

“Patience now...” Myung said taking a seat behind Sungyeol on the stone bench. The raven haired boy place the Shasimen in Sungyeol’s lap, his arms wrapping around Sungyeol’s figure. His legs fall parallel to Sungyeol’s on each side,  right hand guiding Sungyeol’s right on the neck of the instrument, and left on the body where the barrel and strings end. “Follow my lead ok? Now it...gently…”

 

Sungyeol found himself blushing under the other male’s instructions as he felt Myung’s fingers guiding his on the instrument’s strings. He was slowly getting the hang of it, but it was a challenge to concentrate with Myung’s body almost wrapping around him from behind, his back was pressed against the front of his friend’s body, face almost touching, and Myung’s breath being close to Sungyeol’s ears. He felt the other boy’s breathing rhythm as the boy concentrated on his demonstration with the Shasimen.

 

*plunk plunk PLUNK plunk plunk* Sungyeol fingers lost control as well as his concentration as he saw Myung’s face coming close to his without the other boy’s notice. His raven haired friend’s features became clearer and more evident up close. Myung was really handsome, but above that his radiance shown even more when he smiled, but even more so when he was so concentrated on helping Sungyeol play the Shashimen. Sungyeol cheeks heated up even more, his heart started to jump at a strange pace, and he was a bit fearful of the fact that he might be a bit attach and overly fond of his strange friend.

 

“Wait...wait...you have to be gentle...you’re plucking at it like a duck!” Myung interrupted his thoughts.

 

“Ugh...I can’t do this!” Sungyeol exclaimed.

 

“Yes you can! Come on, don’t you want to win the Emperor’s heart?” Myung challenged.

 

“Hmpt...I want to...but...just... this is impossible...I really can’t do this.” Sungyeol cried, cheeks becoming even more flustered. Heat was becoming stronger between them as Sungyeol back was still close against Myung’s chest and torso.

 

“Ok, how about we take a break.” Myung suggested standing up and now moving beside Sungyeol.

 

“Ok.” Sungyeol answered quietly avoiding Myung’s gaze and looking down at the instrument in his lap. His hair falls over his eyes.

 

Sungyeol felt gentle fingers moving across his forehead, brushing his fallen bangs to the side. Myung was now kneeling with one need in front of him to match his eye level.

 

“Just calm down ok? I know you’ll be able to learn this in time before the Festival.” Myung reassured looking at Sungyeol.

 

“But...I have to master this before then...and there is still a lot that I need to learn before then too. If I don’t do this...I...I’ll fail my family...” Sungyeol sighed.

 

“I’ll help you, alright? I’ll help you with whatever you need. Now...first let’s just enjoy our break.” Myung asks. Sungyeol gave him a small nod in agreement.

 

Myung broke the awkward silence between them first.

 

“Hm, I just noticed something.”

 

“What?” Sungyeol looked up at him with doe eyes to find his friend smirking sheepishly at him in an almost teasing manner.

 

“I just noticed you went all out with the royal garbs today! Is there any special occasion?” Myung teased.

 

“N..No”

 

“Then, do I dare say His Royal Highness, Consort Lee is dressing the impress someone?”

 

“As if! That is if you’re implying I’m trying to impress you for no reason today! I...I just want to dress pretty today ok? And of...of course being 3rd Rank Consort and all I have to be presentable.”

 

“Sure sure, of course Highness. Well if it makes you feel any better I’m dress to impress too! I don’t want to make my Highness ashamed of me!” Myung retorted smugly standing up straight with arms out to show Sungyeol his garments like a kid. The raven haired male had his hair pulled up with the rest of his hair in traditional bun, hold together by a golden band with a gold ornament as the headpiece. His royal blue robes were less extravagant than Sungyeol’s (and far more mobile, allowing him to move around more easily), and also was manlier in design, but they were also decorated with beautiful embroidered patterns, with matching sash.

 

Sungyeol blushed at Myung’s statement while watching the other boy twirl around to show his full garments to Sungyeol like a proud child; a smile spreads across his face in excitement. At times Myung’s spoke very wisely, but then there are times his behavior was similar to a playful child. His upbeat attitude gave Sungyeol a sense of cheerfulness in times when he was at his lowest.

 

“Anyways, let me show you something else today!” Myung said pulling Sungyeol up from his feet.

 

“Where else are you taking me today?”

 

“Another special place” Myung replied cheerfully. “It’s a nice place, I promise it’ll help inspire you to master playing the Shasimen quicker.”

 

“Ok, if you say so.”

 

“Of course, trust me.” Myung simply said as he pulled Sungyeol’s hands along. Sungyeol followed obediently, his hands were content inside of Myung’s larger ones.

 

This was their routine.

 

Everyday, they’d meet. Everyday they’d learn something new about one another, and everyday Myung would show Sungyeol a spectacular and new place in the palace.

 

For Sungyeol, these days were precious, and he wish it would be neverending. It would be just fine if time would simply halt at these moments; at this time, so he and can be almost carefree with Myung forever.

 

Because Myung became someone important to him; Perhaps someone who means more to him than a friend.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

AN: Hello dear lovely readers. I missed you so much. here is another update. Thank you so much for subscribing, reading, and leaving such wonderful comments. I really love reading form you guys. I hope you've enjoyed this chapter with sweet myungyeol moments.

I hope you'll continue to leav comments because i love reading them.