Breakthrough

Limelight

Kris and Luhan are sitting across Jessica and Sulli on a rectangular table in a white room with a weird ambiance. Meanwhile, the director and their managers entered.

“Hi!” greeted the director.

“Good morning!” the four said in chorus.

“So, how do you feel?” the director asked.

“Feel what?” asked Kris.

“Nevermind… But I mean how do you feel performing together in a stage?” asked the director.

“I don’t think they’d like it. We’re outcasts here y’know, I mean I am. And being with them would ruin the show!” said Sulli almost shouting. Suddenly, her manger grabbed her arm and led her outside while the other just stared at them.

After a few minutes, Sulli’s manager entered. “Sorry about that, she just went out for a tea,” he said and took a chair. Quietness enveloped the room as seven pairs of weird eyes stared at him.

“Okay, I got it,” he said and heaved deeply. “After breaking, she tried to be strong and act normally like nothing ever happened… she laughs, she joins company bondings just like before but everything changed when haters and bashers invaded even her personal life. Her privacy was totally ruined. Whenever she goes out, there were hundreds of papparazzi’s  tailing on her. When she looks on her side, there were posters of her with paints, inks, so many unwanted graffiti, hurtful words in very large fonts and everything. When she goes home and opens her laptop, she can’t stop any tear to come out from her dead eyes knowing that even netizens hate her to the bones…  She became mentally ill… a pessimist. It became hard for her to live a normal life again. She became so afraid even though how much she knew that things thrown to her were never true… It was really hard bringing her here,” said the manager; that made everyone stop.

Suddenly, a tear unknowingly dropped from Kris’ eye.

“Snap it out. Let’s be strong… no… stronger!... To show them what we’ve got. When somebody’s weak, let’s all hold him or her. Make our weaknesses our strengths and fight for who we are not because of what others think of us,” said Kris with sense of leadership.

“Well I guess that’s a yes for your big concert,” said the director and the others nodded.

----------------------------------

After a week, posters of the concert were all around. People making big fusses. Internet circulations started. Collaborations of fan clubs went on so as bashers started to reunite. Within three weeks, their concert will be held.

One fine afternoon, Taeyeon, who was close with the four, went out from her van when she saw a woman wearing a cap and a face mask destroying the posters.

“Hey! Do you know how much those cost?” asked Taeyeon but the woman seemed not to hear anything and continued what she’s doing.

Taeyeon then walked towards her.

“Idiots! Don’t you dare come back after making shame on your names?” Taeyeon read what the girl is writing. The girl was surprised though she didn’t make it obvious.

“What did they do for you to hate them?” Taeyeon asked.

“Simply because they’re cowards!” the girl shouted.

“Cowards? That’s the lamest answer I’ve ever heard for a question! But going to that coward thing, have you ever been a coward once in your life?” she asked in exasperation. “I’m sure you’d not say no coz’ that’s another lame thing to say…. They left the lime light of your most favorite field because it’s their decision and who are you to say which bests them? Are you perhaps their mother? Their life holder?” she added.

“Oh c’mon! Stop acting like them! Oh, I know it! It’s simply because you’re also an icon. What a dramatic star reunion. Shall I also write here that that five of you should make a constellation at the sky and make a worst night or that everyone will celebrate?” the girl uttered raising her sarcastic voice.

Taeyeon smirked. “This girl is tough,” she thought.

“Maybe I won’t mind asking your name anymore but I’m just gonna ask you, what are you saying? Can you hear yourself? Are you even human? … I talk for them because I’m human and they are humans too. As I try to be myself… it was hard specially knowing that I am imperfect… so as they. They don’t pretend to be something or someone so versatile in front of thousands or millions of people… Yes, even though we’re professionals in the limelight butwe all have the same world… we have no difference with you. You’re hurt, they’re hurt too… There’s no way a man on Earth can ever have a heart as hard as diamond,” said Taeyeon.

“Wow! Then you should’ve become an attorney or a guidance counselor! But listen to what you’re saying… you mentioned being imperfect and you should’ve understood that they must know their responsibilities,” the girl said.

Teayeon is really pissed. How can this girl be so tedious? In no time, she can utter words that she can’t control.

“Hey… don’t be silly… If you say it’s their responsibility to understand merciless bashers like you, you might be totally wrong coz’ all they did is to perform their selves on stage with no intention of being disliked by anybody. Come to think of it, even if they say they don’t read bashes, they actually do coz’ how will they know if it’s a bash or a compliment when they don’t read it? By that, they’re being strong in front of people… still smiling when deep inside, they’re actually hurt… but a man knows his limitations… he can’t stand strong always specially when he was already broken and broken glass can never be returned as it is. Sometimes he may feel tired and so he can disappear and give space to himself. Besides, but it doesn’t mean he is not given a chance to choose which way he would pursue. It’s the truth… what you think is right may be actually wrong to them. Perhaps, you don’t own their lives and you can’t see inside them as much as they know themselves… you can’t say the reasons behind things they do and you can’t dictate what they should do… it’s their choice… they hold their destinies. It wasn’t about you but them as a person. Whichever they go, you have nothing to do with it. Perhaps, they don’t really deserve to be judged by you, knowing that you judge them not understanding how they think nor feel! You dare judge others when you yourself can’t remove your own speck!” said Taeyeon and left the girl as she can’t take it anymore.

Meanwhile, she realized that she was able to make it. She didn’t know she can say those words. She just hopes for the best.

Now, she’s in her van. After talking to the girl, she decided to calm herself. At first, she planned on visiting the four on practice but it seems it would be delayed.

“Ajusshi, let’s go to the park first,” said Taeyeon after deciding that she should clear herself first. Her driver sighed after staring at Taeyeon whose mind seemed to be blank for more than an hour.

----------------------------------

After more than an hour refreshing at the park, she thought of finally visiting the four. It must be really hard. She’s pretty sure they’re all giving their best, like always.

In no time, her feet are in front of the practice hall. She can hear elegant and sweet voices blending together,  then she heard Jessica singing in solo. After singing two lines, Taeyeon was certain that it was Kris who joined her singing.

They finished singing and Taeyeon let a minute break before opening the door.

“Hi everybody!” she greeted as she tightly held her shoulder bag. Suddenly, Jessica dropped her tablet and ran to her crashing in a big hug. Luhan and Kris walked closer to her too.

Taeyeon noticed that Sulli isn’t moving. She’s facing her laptop with her headset. Jess and the others looked at her too. Tears suddenly pooled on her eyes as they started to fall… one by one… and continuously.

Sulli moved her head and looked at Taeyeon. She stood up from her seat and went to hug her while wiping her tears.

“Taeyeon unnie… Thank you… Thank you that you were able to speak… thank you that you even felt like that despite of me being so timid… Thank you for your courage. All of you… thank you for pulling me and I was able to join you here,” Sulli uttered with her shaking voice. Luhan then patted her back as Jessica led a group hug.

“Oh no, my make-up went crazy,” said Taeyeon breaking the atmosphere.

Luhan started speaking up. “That was… a bomb,” he said.

“What are you talking about?” she asked.

“The video,” said Kris.

“Video?” Taeyeon asked unknowingly.

“Just almost two hours ago, a video was posted on the internet. In just matter of minutes, it immediately circulated and ultimately became viral. It was your video with a girl,” Luhan said. Taeyeon was left dumfounded… unable to talk.

“I’m so glad having a friend like you…. It’s really an honor,” said Jessica with tears.

“Don’t overwhelm me,” said Taeyeon suppressing a small laugh for being touched.

“Thank you for being part of our lives,” said Kris. “I never thought someone would do it for us.”

It’s the spirit of friendship. They help each other. They work together. They accept one another… making each others’ weaknesses be their strength… understand everybody’s personality… crying together when somebody’s in pain… celebrating together when somebody’s in cloud 9… making each other happy. Sometimes, it’s simply tested in times of vain, as they say.

Truly, it’s hard to build a tower but it’s just easy to break; just hope that anything like it would never happen. Though it may but it shall not totally fall and could still be renovated.

--------------------------------

In the end, the four were able to perform successfully on stage as the tickets were sold out. Everybody’s happy after the concert. Contented, the audiences all went home making good fusses realizing their thoughts.

 After seeing the result, they planned on making a world tour regaining their image as persons who were once dropped but were able to rise and introduce their new but original selves; persons who were just like anybody.

----------------------------

“No matter how things may change, don’t forget who you are,” a line from The Legend of Aang.