Our Memories

Our Memories

 

That very day, when all E.L.F had their eyes drenched with tears, that lasting moment in which Leeteuk took his final bow as Super Junior’s leader, that heart clenching moment when only 9 of them performed on stage for the very last time, it was the day every E.L.F fears.

For 6 long years, they have endured all kinds of pain, immense sufferings, sleepless nights; bashful comments and unforgiving hate; they’ve been ripped off of equality, scorned by their slightest mistakes and imperfections, scolded nonetheless because of childish acts and misbehaviors.

For 6 years, they have kept their sufferings beneath a face full of smiles, the very same smile that everyone wants to keep. A smile that never fades once in front of the camera, but, all the while, a face ridden with pain and stressful schedules meets you at the back of those lenses.

The blood, sweat and tears were poured long enough, their bodies, too weak to even stand up and dance. The success, laughter and music shall remain a memory to all those who have witnessed this event, the day Super Junior gave their last goodbye.

And as the cheers died down, and all E.L.F present were drying their cheeks and eyes from tears, the stage and the entire place became dark, as all the lights were turned off, leaving the magnificent view of the Sapphire blue ocean waving and giving slight illumination.

For a few minutes, everyone kept silent, waiting for the next and final song to play. Sniffs and soft wails can be heard all around as one by one; spotlights illumined the forms of two persons standing on stage.

The camera panned and zoomed, showing a teary-eyed Sungmin and Kyuhyun, dressed in fine white suits. The crowd cheered as the maknae gave a light smile to the camera, giving everyone a full view on the large screens that were attached just behind the stage. Their last song was Memories, indicating why Kyuhyun and Sungmin were the first ones to appear.

“Saranghaetjanha uri hamkkehan manheun nal dongan”Kyuhyun sang the first lines, closing his eyes as the rhythm slowly lullabied him.

“Hamkke aphahaetjanha seoroui irin juldo moreugo” Sungmin followed suit, also closing his eyes and swaying lightly to the music when Donghae patted his back and stood beside him. Neon eodi inneun geoni naui moksori deullijil annni apheun nae simjangi neoreul chatneunda neoreul bureunda michidorok”

And as the song reached its first chorus, the stage lit up brightly, showing the other members coming down from the stage shaped like a staircase, all were flashing big smiles as Yesung sang his verse.

“Gaseumi nunmuri ddo neoui gieogi han bangul han bangul ddo nae gaseume heulleo naerinda”Yesung smiled and looped an arm on Ryeowook’s shoulder as he continued the song “Ureodo ureodo jiwojiji annneun gieogeul ttara oneuldo bin nae gaseumeul ddo jeoksinda”

The members hugged each other tightly while trying to calm down a crying Sungmin, who was kept glued to Kyuhyun’s arms, dragging his hand up and down the latter’s arm to ease him.

“Johahaetjanha jageun nae misoe useojwotjanha”

“Hamkke ureosseotjanha naui nunmure aphahaetjanha”  Eunhyuk and Shindong took turns in singing their lines, joining the others as they finished and squeezed Kyuhyun’s shoulders as he sings his next part.

 

“Jigeum eodi inneun geoni jichin nae moseubi boijil annni

apheun nae simjangi neoreul chatneunda neoreul bureunda michidorok”

 

“Gaseumi nunmuri ddo neoui gieogi

han bangul han bangul tto nae gaseume heulleo naerinda

ureodo ureodo jiwojiji annneun gieogeul ttara

oneuldo bin nae gaseumeul ddo jeoksinda”

 

On the second repeat of the chorus, all the members were lined up on stage as the screen flashed past events with all 13 of them, slowing down with each emphasized lyric with a picture of Hankyung, Kangin and Kibum. By then, Leeteuk was sobbing hard, crouching down to his knees and covering his face with his hands, making the crowd tear up and sing along with the song, despite their broken voices and tear-stricken face.

 

Ryeowook also gave up; dropping his microphone and covering his mouth as tears uncontrollably flowed from his eyes. His petite form shook, looking all vulnerable and greatly affected by the song and the flash of past memories.

 

When the song had its bridge, Yesung approached the crying Ryeowook and embraced him from the side, looking at his direction as he sang. “Naegero dorawajullae maeil ne ireum bureumyeo jichin gidarim soge neoreul chaja hemaeneun najanha” after he finished, he gave the smaller man a quick kiss to the forehead, encouraging him to continue on singing as images and videos of them played on the background.

Sarangi nunmuri neowaui chueogi”as Ryeowook sang, each word was accompanied by a picture of the 4 members who is currently not with them, starting off with Kibum, Kangin, Hankyung and ending with Heechul.

 

At the third repeat of the chorus, the screen played their highlights throughout their 6 years in the industry;

 

“han bangul han bangul ddo nae gaseume heulleo naerinda

ureodo ureodo jiwojiji annneun gieogeul ttara

oneuldo bin nae gaseumeul ddo jeoksinda”

 

From the video of Twins, their first win in Golden Disk Awards, filming of Don’t Don and Sorry, Sorry, awarding ceremonies during the 2009 Golden Disk awards, music videos of Bonamana and Mr. Simple. Even as the song ended, sepia-colored pictures still played on the screen, leaving the Super Junior members basking in their memories they made together. They faced the screen; their backs turned to the audience as they watched on with a tearful set of eyes, not even the strongest remained passive and untouched.

 

Siwon kept his head high as he swallows the lump on his throat, Leeteuk was covering his mouth to control his sobs; Yesung was still holding Ryeowook, same goes for Kyuhyun and Sungmin. Shindong kept his drenched eyes open, his grip on the microphone wavering when images of Super Junior as a 13 membered group came into view.

 

The instrumental version of Memories was playing as their background, as Donghae cried his tears out, shoulders shaking and reaching out to a tearing Eunhyuk, who took him in his arms and rocking their forms slowly to the music.

 

There was barely a single dry eye in the stadium, sobs and wails can be heard all over as the group faced the audience again, their cries only getting louder by the minute as each member took a step forwards and introducing themselves again, this time not as a member of Super Junior, but rather, as a normal individual.

 

Leeteuk was the last one to talk, drying his tears before speaking in his broken voice. “To all E.L.F…” he began,

 

“For 6 years, you have been with us through every step of the way; you have endured all pain and took these trials without complaints. You made us stronger in spirit and in person. You are our foundation, the rock we can lean upon. We cannot express our words of thanks to you…you are our life, our love. We are very sorry too...we're sorry for falling so behind on the music charts. We're sorry for losing each member one by one. We're sorry for making you so tired. We're sorry for making you wait, for making you cry, for making you hurt. We're sorry for not being enough. We're sorry… and if that is not enough, we would take everything and do anything to get your love back…” Leeteuk spoke in a loud voice while tears continued to pour from his eyes.

 

“Hankyung-sshi, Kangin-sshi, Kibum-sshi, Heechul-ah!” he screamed their names aloud, “If this ever reach you, I want you all to know, we all want you to know, that… We’re very grateful to have members just like you. No one can ever take your place in Super Junior. We embarked on this journey as 13, and we will all end this journey as 13. You are always in our hearts.”

 

“Our journey ends here. Thank you for accepting us, for giving us the chance to show ourselves, for making us known through our music and talents. But most of all, thank you for being E.L.F” he ended by gathering all the members and pulling them for a group hug, and as they held each other, blue confetti showered the group and sapphire blue balloons dropped from the ceilings, covering the entire place with pearlescent shades.

 

With tears in their eyes, Super Junior held hands and bowed for the last time, dropping to their knees and doing a full bow as the crowd cried and cheered, chanting their names from Leeteuk to Kyuhyun, pouring their hearts out and showing all kinds of emotions.

 

They got up and brushed the dirt from their pants, biting their lips as they waited for Leeteuk’s final call.

 

“For one last time!” he screeched on the microphone, as the members followed after,

 

“URINEUN SUPER JUNI-OYEO!”

[We are Super Juni-OR!]

 

--

 

“Someday we will all have to say goodbye

We might not be able to see each other

Then our memories will be our strength

Till the day we meet again, someday”

 

  • Super Junior [Good Friends]