I ain't afraid of no ghost

I ain't afraid of no ghost

 

 

 

   So it all started because Tao was a desperate scaredy cat. Like, how many boys over the age of eight still look under the bed (and under the desk, in the closets and behind every door available) every night before they can go to sleep (with a light on, can't take any chance)? Now I knew why his previous roommate looked so relieved to graduate. Anyway, Tao was afraid of his own shadow, so I should have guessed that going alone to the shared bathroom at the end of the dorm hallway to take a shower when it was dark outside was never going to be an option. I seriously blamed winter for the early nightfalls.

 

   What's sad is that Tao was also a sneaky, manipulative little thing that never takes "no" for an answer... Kinda like an annoying younger sister. And so I was standing behind his shower stall door once again, listening to him babble about anything. The first time he had asked for accompany, he had managed to look so distressed I actually thought he had lost his dear panda plushy. The second time, he had been pouting so much that it couldn't even be called cute anymore and fluttering his eyelashes like some enamoured teenage girl. From then on he just stopped doing aegyo altogether and just went to wait in front of our room door at 5PM sharp, clutching his towel against his chest, and stared at me with rapt attention until I went with him.

 

"Umma?"

 

   Ah, the strange nickname again. Boy, I seriously hope you don't request from your mother even half of the things you expect me to do for you.

 

"Yes, Taozi?"

"I'm not a peach!" I could hear him pouting all the way from here. "You were not answering, I thought the shower ghost had snatched you away!"

 

   Yeah, the shower ghost... evil little thing.

 

"I'm alright. Just try and finish soon, ok?"

"Umma... you sure you don't want to come in? It won't want to attack us if we're two..."

"It's okay, I'll just keep guard outside."

 

   Aow, my poor baby, I seriously doubt two scrawny kids would scare a ghost away, but whatever. I could hear Tao mutter some gibberish under his breath and then he let out a small squeal as some shampoo probably got into his eyes.

 

"Gah, I'm blind!"

 

   Yup, told you so.

 

"Ummaaaa, what do I do if it appears when I can't see anything?!"

 

   I was just about to answer something about his flailing arms being a good enough weapon when a boy came in, caramel strands mussed up like he just slept the afternoon away.

 

"Umma?!" Tao screeched as soon as he heard the sound of the door.

 

   The newcomer just gave me an amused smile as I rolled my eyes and put a slim finger against his lips, raising up a mischievous eyebrow.

 

"Yeah?"

"You're not gone!"

 

   I swear this kid had serious abandonment issues. I could distinctly hear Tao heave out a relieved sigh, and the new boy's smile grew up a bit more, the curled up lips reminding me of a playful kitten. Pretty...

 

"Wait..."

 

   Ah, Tao was thinking really hard to catch up, I could tell. Don't try too hard, son, it's dangerous when you're not used to it.

 

"If you didn't go out, does that mean someone came in?"

 

   Good boy. The corners of the brown haired boy's lips were twitching in repressed laughter and I couldn't help but answer with a smile.

 

"It does, indeed."

 

   Tao choked on a new girly squeal, this time totally embarrassed, and I just laughed out loud at his expense knowing I'd be forgiven in a blink when shower time would come the next day anyway. I was soon joined by a loud laugher and I realised the other boy had come closer without me noticing.

 

"Hi Taozi~ Has a wandering spirit bitten your yet?"

"I'm not a peach, Kim Jongdae! And don't laugh at me!"

 

   Tao's whines made Jongdae laugh some more as his eyes found mine. Tao had mentioned his name quite some times over the months, mostly anecdotes about their shared classes, and it seemed the poor boy was playing stopgap for Tao's shower ritual when no one else was available - or willing.

 

   Cold fingers brushed against my forearm as Jongdae leaned forward, eyes running on my face. His serious expression brought a shiver up along my spine and I felt my throat constrict briefly at how close he suddenly was.

 

“You're far more pleasing to the eye than Tao's last victim... If he ever manages to convince you to actually take a shower with him, call me first, right? Wouldn't want to miss that...”

 

   He gently patted my head, his trademark kittenish grin painted on his lips and walked out of the bathroom, blowing me a little kiss and a sultry look.

 

“Umma? Is ChenChen-ge gone?”

 

 

   I think I actually stayed frozen till Tao finally walked out of his shower stall to poke fun at my red cheeks.