I Promised You

I Promised You

Nichkhun crossed the street and started heading toward his favorite café. He needed a break from all his studying and going to this café always made him feel relaxed. He was studying to be a nurse, something he’d wanted to be after Victoria once mentioned how he always took care of people.

He sighed as he realized he was thinking of Victoria again. It’s been six years since they last saw each other and they haven’t spoken since then. He wondered every once in a while how she was doing and if she ever thought about him as often as he did with her.

Nichkhun shook his head as if to clear his thoughts as he rounded the corner and bumped into someone. Papers went flying around them as the woman he bumped into dropped them in surprise. They both crouched down to grab the papers and started speaking at the same time.

“I’m so sorry. I didn’t see you-”

“Are you okay? I’m sorry-”

They gathered up all the papers and stood up. Nichkhun handed his pile to her, finally looking up to see who he bumped into.

He gaped at the woman standing in front of him. Her jaw dropped and they stood there in the middle of the sidewalk for a moment before Nichkhun was able to recover.

“Victoria?” He asked, almost afraid he was wrong.

Victoria nodded her head, finally closing . They stood in awkward silence, neither knowing what to say to the other.

Nichkhun cleared his throat. “Do you want to go to a café?” He invited. “I was just heading there.”

She nodded again and followed Nichkhun as he started walking. They were quiet as they walked, the awkward silence following them.

They arrived to Nichkhun’s favorite café and he led her to a table where they sat down across from each other.

“Do you want anything?” Nichkhun asked.

“Just a coffee, please,” she replied. “Do you remember how I like it?”

Nichkhun smiled. “I do, actually.”

Victoria stared at him with a fond smile as Nichkhun went up to the counter to order their drinks. He noticed some cupcakes on display and he ordered those too.

A few minutes later, he brought everything back to the table. Victoria picked up her drink and was pleasantly surprised to find that Nichkhun did remember how he liked it. She picked up a cupcake, taking a bite out of it as Nichkhun started to speak.

“So, what are you doing now?” He asked, glancing at the papers Victoria had.

“I’m trying to write a book,” she said. Nichkhun looked at her surprised and she chuckled. “I know, surprising isn’t it? I hated writing in school but now I want to write a book.”

“What about?”

“I’m not sure yet. I’ve written all these ideas out and wrote a scene out for each one but I don’t which one I like best. I have people helping me out but…” she trailed off, shrugging.

“Anyways, what are you doing now?”

“I’m studying to be a nurse.”

“A nurse? Why’d you want to be a nurse?”

“I just found it interesting,” he said, embarrassed to say that it was her that gave him the idea. “And it really is. I’m wondering if I should become a doctor instead.”

“I’m sure whether you’re a nurse or doctor you’ll do great,” Victoria said, smiling.

“Thanks. And I’m sure your book will do great, too. I’ll make sure to buy a book when it comes out.”

Victoria laughed. “I’ll sign it to make it more valuable.”

“You know, I’ll be able to say that I know a famous person. There’ll be a show based off your book and then a movie and only the best actors will take part in it since that’s how good your book will be.”

Victoria laughed again and Nichkhun joined her. He didn’t realize until then how much he missed her laugh.

“I think you’re more excited about my book than I am. I haven’t even thought about all the nonsense.”

“What nonsense? It’s not nonsense! It’ll happen, just watch.”

“If you say so.”

It was quiet again between them but this time it wasn’t awkward.

It was interrupted by Victoria’s phone ringing. She glanced apologetically at Nichkhun as she answered.

“Hello? Yes, this is Victoria. Hmm? Oh yes, I’ll be there as soon as I can. Thank you! Bye.”

“Sorry, but I have to go now. I have a meeting with someone,” she told Nichkhun, looking excited.

“Here.” She reached into her pocket and pulled out her card. She gave it to Nichkhun. “It’s my number. Call me if you want to meet up again. I’ve missed you and this was fun.”

She gave him a quick hug before she left.

He looked at the card she gave him with a smile. He took out his phone to put in her number and gave her a quick text so that she’ll have his number, too.

“You guys look cute together,” a voice said from his right. Nichkhun looked up to see the girl who took his order cleaning a table next to him.

“Excuse me?”

“I said you two look cute together. Is she your girlfriend?”

Nichkhun blushed. “Oh, no, we’re just friends.”

The girl looked at him doubtfully. “If you say so,” she said, leaving Nichkhun on his own.

Nichkhun left soon after, wondering why his heart pounded at the thought of Victoria as his girlfriend.

For the next few weeks, they continued to meet up at Nichkhun’s favorite café. Nichkhun talked about his training and Victoria gave him sneak peeks to her book. Sometimes they talked about their past. Sometimes they didn’t talk at all, just enjoying being with each other.

Spending so much time with Victoria again was bringing Nichkhun’s old feelings for her back. He remembered why he loved her so much when they were younger.

One day, when things were silent between them, Nichkhun gathered the courage to confess to her.

“Victoria?” He said nervously.

“Hmm?” She hummed, looking up from her writing.

“I just-” He took a deep breath to calm his nerves before speaking again. “Do you remember, just before you moved, what I said to you?”

Victoria looked at him confused, trying to remember.

“I told you that I loved you and that I would wait for you.” A look of understanding crossed her face and she blushed. “I still love you, even after all these years. Will you be my girlfriend?”

Victoria was silent for a long time and Nichkhun’s hopes dropped.

“Never mind. Ignore me, I’ll just-”

“Yes,” Victoria interrupted. Nichkhun stared at her.

“Yes?” He repeated back to her.

Victoria giggled. “Yes, I’ll be your girlfriend. I’ve been wondering when you were finally going to confess to me. I was starting to wonder if I should confess first.”

“You- what?”

Victoria laughed making Nichkhun smile.

They walked out of the café together, holding hands for the first time since Victoria moved away.


Eh, I feel like the ending is awkward sorry :/

Anyways, after basically two months the sequel is finished! Honestly, I had started writing this as soon as I finished the first story but then I got distracted by other things and kind of forgot about this oops. At least it's done now :)

I hope you enjoyed!