3:49 AM

Night Shift

"You would think that, at the very least, businessmen, or, whoever, really, would take late flights and check in around this time of night, though, right?" Junghwan blew up at his bangs, adjusting his glasses and restraightening a pile of papers. They were fidgety, pointless little actions, but at least they made him look like he was doing work to the security cameras. He glanced back over at his clock, 3:49 AM, it read.

Not like the guy in charge of monitoring security cameras was even awake, probably, but Junghwan didn't really care.

Not like there was anything else to do, but he kept himself busy with those little actions, so Junghwan didn't really care. Who knew? Maybe the camera guy was actually watching.

Not like there was anything to watch except a bored night security guy and a receptionist, but Junghwan didn't really care.

"I mean, I guess so? I don't know, man, but it's like this job is kinda pointless, you know? We've only ever had one or two people check during this shift in the past month." Chansik crossed his arms and leaned his back against the front desk. "Who enters or leaves a hotel at almost four AM? Nobody." Even though Chansik couldn't see him, Junghwan nodded in agreement. The two let out a sigh, almost perfectly in sync, and they laughed at themselves, at least getting a little enjoyment out of that.

Leaning forward, Junghwan rested his cheek on his fist, holding up a piece of paper that strategetically blocked his face from the camera focused on the front desk-- Chansik's body was blocking his face from the other camera on the two of them. He looked like he was reading something important, but, really, he was sleeping. Slowly drifting off, his slow breathing faded into little snores until he jolted awake, clearing his throat once he heard the ring of the service bell.

"Yes, um, can I--" Junghwan opened his eyes again to see Chansik with his hand hovering the service bell, laughing at him. Junghwan rolled his eyes at the younger male. "Come on, at least let me get a tiny nap in, I'm so bored."

"Well, then, I have an idea of what we could do to pass the time. It can keep us entertained for at least a few minutes." Without waiting for a reply, Chansik smirked and reached over to grab Junghwan's phone, ignoring the other's protests and swatting Junghwan's grabby hands away. He scrolled down the contacts list and scoffed. "Your mom has hearts next to her name, how cute," he acknowledged as Junghwan's protests grew louder.

"Oh, okay, here we go." Chansik tapped on a name and brought the cell phone up to his ear, ignoring Junghwans' yelps of "who are you calling" and "my mom will get sooo mad if you call at this time of night, please don't". Defeated, Junghwan soon stopped trying to fight Chansik (not like he had any chance of overpowering anybody, even hotel security and even if it was Chansik, anyways) and leaned in, listening in on the ringing phone.

"Hello? Who is this?" the voice on the other end huskily replied-- clearly a male that had just been woken up by his phone call. That certainly wasn't his mother, but... No, it couldn't be, Junghwan thought to himself, eyes widening slowly as he forcefully pulled Chansik's wrist downwards to read the name on the screen--

Shin Dongwoo. It was the hotel manager.

Junghwan slapped his face with the both of his hands and whispered obscenities to himself. Chansik gave him a reassuring pat on the back and held his finger over his mouth, gesturing to Junghwan to be quiet. The younger male, trying his best to hold in his laughter, pinched his nose and let out loudly in a high-pitched nasally voice:

"Why don't you tell me who you are first, mister?"

"But you're the one that called me--"

"Yeah, Captain Obvious. I found this number on my son's phone and he 'fessed up and told me that you were his drug dealer. Is this true? Are you selling illegal drugs to my baby boy?! How dare you! He's only thirteen years old.... Oh, I'm a horrible mother..." Chansik let out his best fake cry while Junghwan squirmed in his seat, trying his best not to laugh out loud.

"What? I have no idea what you're talking about... firstly, do you know what time of the day it is? Secondly, I don't sell--"

"Speak no more, you demon. My son told me where you live and I'm marching over there right this second--" Chansik read out Dongwoo's address from Junghwan's smart phone-- "I'm gonna come get you!"

"What?! I--" Click. Call ended, the screen of Junghwan's phone flashed.

The combined laughter of the two males echoed throughout the hotel lobby before Junghwan's cackling faded quickly, his grin turning into a frown. "Hey, wait, I can't believe you used my phone to--"

"Don't worry, man. I entered that star-sixty-seven crap so his caller ID showed 'unkown caller'. Anyways, don't you think he would've yelled 'Junghwan!' or something through the phone if he knew you were the one calling? Trust me, alright?" Chansik handed Junghwan's phone back to him and patted him on the back, giving him a reassuring smile. With that, Junghwan let out a sigh of relief, chuckling at the prank call again. His mouth suddenly gaped open and he excitedly hit Chansik on his arm.

"What, what, what? Out with it... don't get my shirt wrinkled--" Chansik whined, watching as the receptionist picked up the hotel phone and dialed in numbers at what seemed like the speed of light. "What are you--"

Junghwan held the phone to his chest. "Shh, I'm calling the security camera room... what was that guy's name again?"

"Sunwoo, I'm pretty sure," Chansik replied with a nod, jumping up and down giddily before composing himself and listening to the phone.

-----

Sunwoo picked up his to-go coffee cup, rubbing his eyes at the bright screens in front of him. He let out a discontented groan. Opening the lid of the coffee, he stared down into the cup curiously, letting out a frustrated sigh. "It's gone cold," he mumbled to himself.

"Mr. Cha. Sunwoo!" Sunwoo jumped, the cold brown liquid splashing out of his cup and spilling onto his shirt. "Hey, you slacker, you better not be sleeping right now!" Booming over the loudspeaker, Sunwoo straightened up and took a look at the lobby's two security cameras. It was just the receptionist and the security guy and they didn't seem to be the ones who called him considering the fact that the receptionist was typing something and the security guard was standing perfectly still in front of him... but who else could it have been? With another sigh, he shook his head, dismissing the matter and dabbng at his linen button-down with a napkin.

-----

"That was gold!" Chansik whispered at Junghwan out of the corner of his mouth, his face stoic and his hands in his pockets. "I know, right? Man, I bet he didn't even suspect it was us after seeing us on the security cameras," Junghwan whispered back out of the corner of his mouth as he pretended to type on his keyboard, face as serious as ever.

Chansik glanced over at Junghwan. "Hey, you're working the midnight shift tomorrow too, right? Let's call the other camera guy tomorrow, I think his name was Jinyoung? Something like that..."