Chapter 1: The Library

It's Right There

The Library
——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
 

It’s right there.

It’s staring down at you as if you’re nothing (which in this case, you kind of are) but you stare right back at it, your eyebrows furrowing in determination. Making sure not to break eye contact, you crack your knuckles and your neck shortly after to add to your “intimidating” effect.

You’re strong. You’re capable.

But at the same time, you’re also unlucky and extremely short.

Of course, the book you’ve been dying to read for as long as you can remember is sitting atop the highest shelf in the school’s library.

It’s time, you think. It’s time to get this damn book.

Rolling up the sleeves of your uniform, you take a step forward and get on your tiptoes, your arm reaching out desperately for the book. Your fingers don’t even brush against the cover. As you realize 

the futility of your attempt, you sink back down to your feet and run a hand through your hair.

 

"Fine," you whisper to the book in stagnation, "you win this round." 

 

You’re about to walk away when a voice calls out to you and you stop dead in your tracks.

"Er, do you need help?"

You turn around and you swear your heart stops beating. The quiet, incredibly tall and equally cute boy who sits five seats behind you in your psychology class is standing five feet away from you. You’ve never talked to him but you right now want to thank the gods above for this golden opportunity. You pray that he hasn’t heard you talking to yourself.

"Um," you squeak out. "Kind of."

Why does he have to look so cute in his uniform? God, his hair is perfect. And those cheekbones look like they could slice fruit but damn, has he always been this tall? He physically has to tilt his head down to look at you.

He shoulders his backpack and glances at the shelf of books. “So, it’s that one right? The one with the dark blue hard-cover?”

"Yeah."

You watch as he nods before effortlessly reaching out to grab the book—he doesn’t even have to tip toe! Handing you the book, he laughs when he sees your incredulous expression. Your mouth hanging agape, you mindlessly say, “You’re so tall!”

He laughs and scratches the back of his neck. “Yeah, I get that a lot…”

 

"Because you are," you mumble and take the book from his hands. "Well, thank you so much, uh," you look at him expectantly.

"Ah, I’m Yugyeom."

"Yugyeom," you repeat, more to yourself than to him. "I’m _______."

"I know," he chuckles, "you’re in my psych class."

 

You fail to mask your surprise as he laughs at your expression once more.

 

"Sorry, that probably sounded creepy—”

"No!" you exclaim a little but too fast than intended. You clear your throat, "I mean, no. It didn’t. I’m sorry I didn’t know your name before.”

 

He shakes his head. “Don’t be sorry. I’m pretty quiet.”

 

”Yeah, you are. And it doesn’t help that you sit in the very back, either," you laugh.

 

It’s his turn to look surprised and you swear that his ears are turning a bright red. “Oh, so you have noticed me?”

Nope, it’s definitely you blushing. “Well, yeah, I guess…” It’s kind of hard not to when you’re this hot.

He looks at you with eyes as wide as saucers.

Your hand flies to your mouth. “Shoot, did I just say that out loud?”

He bites his lip and looks to the side, his face flushing as you resist the urge to fling yourself into the giant rack of books that can bury you whole. You want to rip every single strand of hair out of your stupid scalp and you want to curse this stupid book for causing you more problems than you can count.

 

"It’s okay," he stutters—yes, stutters. “You’re… you’recutetoo.”

 

You blink at him. “Wait, what?” A pregnant silence hangs in the air as he seems to realize what he just said.

 

"Oh, nothing—it’s nothing! Well, I’ll see you in psychology, ______! Make sure you, uh, study for the test tomorrow, bye!"

 

You don’t know if your hearing’s gone crazy or if he really just sputtered this all out in a span of a second as he runs off the other direction.

You stand there, completely dumbfounded, and watch him take off so fast that he almost trips over those long legs of his. You giggle to yourself as you look down at the book in your hands; there’s not even a test in psychology tomorrow.

Tall, flustered Yugyeom from your psychology class who runs off after confessing makes you want to kiss him.

       ————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Credit