A drop of golden sun

A drop of golden sun

  

 

   So yeah, it was a bad day. I woke up late, had to forgo breakfast and ran till my lungs felt like burning to ashes just so I could catch the last morning train. Obviously, since I was late I could scrap the mere thought of being lucky enough to find a seat and had to stand pressed up against the door while groups after groups of squealing highschool girls squeezed in after me. I didn't like intrusions in my living space, and I absolutely didn't care about the new hair color of their lastest popstar cruch. Wouldn't last much longer than two weeks anyway, and bad bad bad for the hair.

 

   Thirty minutes later, I was standing in the queue for the metro ticket distributor, glancing every so often at my watch, fingers twitching in annoyance. Like, seriously, couldn't they all increase the speed a little bit? University was nine stations away and I still needed to cross all campus - in the rain, thank you – in order to reach my lecture hall.

 

   After seven long, excruciating minutes, everyone had moved away and I could finally select my monthly transport subscription and insert my credit card to pay. Aha... except the dumb think still said « please insert your coins ». Like, hello, you just ate my credit card! And yeah, obviously the distributor would swallow your card completely and you would need its complete cooperation in order to get it back... And obviously the thing would never cooperate peacefully as I tried to cancel. Nice try, but no cigar for you, Jongdae. The previous guy didn't have any problem, so what, it was just for me?

 

   So, my credit card was in there, and no one was around now that I needed help. Did I need any more arguments to convince myself that I should have just followed my instinct and fell back into Morpheus' arms when I realised I would be late in class? Yeah, I thought so too. I was basically torn between the need to look for someone that could salvage my credit card and still repelled from that simple thought because it would mean leaving the precious little thing all alone were anyone could take it if the distributor suddently felt in the mood to spit it out. Cornelian choice...

 

Hi.”

 

   Yeah, hi, whatever. A flash of blond hair caught my eye and I silently growled. Another good for mothing guy with bad hair habits standing at the next distributor, nothing interesting... I was still lost in my thoughts, fingers absent-mindedly scrapping the slit where my card had disappeared, when Blondie suddently opened his distributor door and began to rummage in the inside. Rummage inside. Genius.

 

Hey!”

 

   A pretty face with disheveled blond strands reappeared from behind the open door and dark eyes found mine. , the er was handsome.

 

Yeah?”

I, huh... That thing ate my card but won't let me pay, and now it's stuck...”

 

   A thin eyebrow raised up while Blondie processed the new data, and then a smile spread on his pink lips, the sudden butterflies tripping over each other in my stomach not having anything to do with the fluttering of his lashes against his cheekbone at all.

 

Let me see what I can do for you.”

 

 

 

   In a jiffy, Blondie had opened my distributor, rescued my card and given it back with a new angelic smile, and I was just so sure that the tip of my ears had gone bright red. He even stayed by my side while I was trying again to pay for my subscription like some kind of gentleman. This time there was no problem at all, and I couldn't hold back a relieved sigh. A tiny smile still painted on his lips, he seemed to wait for me to dismiss him, something I coudn't decipher in his eyes and I think I caught him breathing a soft “Lucky you had me” while I was putting my card back in my wallet. Lucky... yeah.

 

   He finally turned away with a small hand wave at me, probably looking for another defective distributor or whatever, and I just stayed there without a word. Blondie was right, I was lucky. I mean, what were the odds that the one person with the keys of the evil machine would just pop up next to me when I needed it the most? Like, maybe I should just go and buy some lottery ticket... My day didn't feel as gloomy anymore, I was definitively too late for class but it didn't ruffle my feathers as much as it used to. And maybe... maybe, Blondie had put a little bit of sunshine in my life for the day.

 

 

 

Hey!”

 

   Same pretty face, same dark eyes focused too hard on mine as he watched me run after him in the hallway. I gave him a smile and a tentative answering one bloomed on his pink lips.

 

Could I get your number? You know, just in case it happened again.”

 

   The confused expression in his eyes faded in pleased sparkles as his simile became brighter. And I couldn't deny the memory was arousing a new flutter of butterfly wings in my belly when I thought about it later during my next class, eyes trailing on the name going along with the new number in my cellphone. Yeah, lucky...

 

   And maybe the blond hair I kind of hated first was some sort of physical representation of what Joonmyun was inside... A small, bright drop of golden sun in my grey daily life.