Scene Two: Meeting the Devil

There's a Rumour...

 Jane walked into the office and immediately discovered a problem, Hanmi had told her to place the drink on the desk opposite hers, but had never said what desk wasn’t hers. Sighing she placed the coffee down onto a desk and glanced down the hall. She sat down on the expensive chair and brushed the nonexistent dust off of the dark black wooden desk. If there was anything the office was for, is showing off. The whole place was aesthetically pleasing, there was nothing out of place. Behind each of the two desks was a large shelving unit full of books, boxes, and folders.

 She looked down at her phone as it vibrated signalling the arrival of a new text.                        Don’t loose your temper noona~ -Ricky                                                  Rolling her eyes she sat down at the first desk she saw. G.NA had a wild temper that much was true but she was good at reigning it in when she was in character. So with the calm dismissal that could only come with her new persona she deleted the text.

 With a twitch of her nose her fingers flew across the keyboard professionally as she attempted to log in, she felt her shoulders relax as the computer logged in. Jane stood up and walked across the cream carpeting that separated her from the desk opposite her and placed down the executive assistants coffee upon it. Picking up the CEO’s coffee she opened the glass door and walked into the room, she placed his coffee down upon the desk and stared past it into the view of Seoul. She could feel a shudder work through her body as she took in just how high up they were, for a professional investigator she had far too many fears.

 “Who are you?” Silent, that was the first thing that ran through her mind, she was paranoid she noticed everything but she didn’t hear him walk up.

 “Hello,” turning around to see the newcomer she immediately recognized him as Chunji’s executive assistant, Lee Byunghun. “I’m Jane Choi,” Jane dropped into a bow instantly before looking him in the eyes with a shaky smile. She didn’t need to try hard to look nervous, all she had to do was think about the scenery behind her.

 “Why are you here,” he crossed his arms making making his expensive watch that she could already tell was worth a hefty amount, at least a couple of thousand dollars worth, poke out from under his fitting yves saint laurent suit.

 “Hanmi quit, she told me to do her last two weeks for her,” she folded her arms behind her back as she took in his appearance. Up close Byunghun looked far more sleek and predatory, his cheekbones were high set and prominent, a perfect emphasis for his sharp almost feline eyes. At the moment his brown eyes were dark with suspicion and b with accusation, he wasn’t called Chunji’s watchdog for nothing.

 “Really,” without looking away from her he grabbed his cellphone from his pocket, she wasn’t shocked to see it was highly expensive vertu smartphone. He only tapped a few times, she was on his speed dial, obviously he took his job seriously. “Hanmi, why is there a woman in your ceo’s office.” He went silent and his lips slowly as he stared at Jane. “I see, you will find your severance pay in the mail. Don’t return,” he ended the call instantaneously then started walking around Jane, looking her up and down. She felt as if he were checking her out, as if he were a master choosing a slave. “Have you had experience with this kind of job before?”

 “Not for a ceo, I was a secretary for a paper firm previously.”

 “How easily do you get stressed?”

 “Not easily,” he finished walking around her then leaned in towards her. The scent of his overpriced cologne wafted into her nose, unlike most higher up men she had encountered he actually smelt good.

 “This job has high stakes, you fail us once and you will be fired, two weeks notice replacement or not. Go to her desk, sit, and wait for the CEO.” He stepped away from her and opened the door, letting her through into the assistants area. As she walked by him she repressed a smirk, despite wearing heels she was the same height as him, and he was even wearing lifts. No doubt his height would be a sore spot for him.

 Sitting back down behind Hanmi’s desk she watched as Byunghun made another call, no doubt to Chunji. Unfortunately she had no time to get the blueprints of the building before she got pushed into her job, those still wouldn’t come for a little longer. Jane looked away from Byunghun and stared at the computer screen with undisguised surprise at the background picture of Chunji.

 “Unprofessional,” she muttered as she restored the background to default, making it a plain blue. Hanmi had been foolish to pursue a relationship with Chunji, especially since he was notorious for cheating. She didn’t have to search long to find it out, however, despite people knowing he cheated nobody could ever tell who he was really dating so his girlfriends could never really get upset.

 “I see you're already making your nest,” Byunghun walked out of the CEO’s office, brushing the wrinkles out of his suit. “He will be here soon and you need to be ready,” he opened a small chest that was on the bookshelf, pulled out a wrapped phone package and tossed it at her. Jane caught it, and the other small box he threw at her. “That’s your phone, the sd card is in the box, the sd box contains everything you need. Put it together, you’ll need it today.”

 Jane opened the box, her eyebrow raising as she looked at the phone inside. Apparently they were rich enough that he had a box of spare samsung galaxy notes that he just handed off. “A phone?” She peeled off the back then slid the sd card into the free space.

 “PA needs working technology,’ he brushed his cuff away from his wrist so he could look at his phone. “Bastard, what’s taking him so long.” Jane’s eyebrows raised higher, almost disappearing into her bangs.

 Chunji was best friends with Byunghun, that was never any surprise to anyone. But apparently they were informal enough that he could curse out his boss, that certainly wasn’t on the report that Niel had given her. Sighing she resisted the urge to rub her eyes in aggravation, she would need to have Ricky get as much information as he could. It appears she really was going into the operation blind.  

 “Do you know shorthand? It might be useful,” he pulled out his phone and checked it. “Hello? Yes, of course,” he paused and nodded, listening to the person on the other end. He grunted, sounding strangely japanese before he tapped his phone ending the call.  “Stand up, look presentable, fix your hair.” He walked towards her and narrowed his eyes as he scrutinized her. Without asking permission he snatched the thick rimmed glasses she had put on earlier that day, crushed the fames in his hand then dropped it in the trash.

 “Those are my glasses,” she hissed, he just wasted a good purchase she had made.

 “Useless, already out of style.” He started preening her next, playing with her hair to make her look more presentable. “Don’t straighten your hair, curl it. Get your hair layered, shorter bangs.” Byunghun sighed as if it was the most basic of knowledge she had failed to enact upon. “You look like a stripper,” her jaw dropped as she watched him walk to his desk, standing beside his chair.

 “Excuse me?” His eyebrows shot together as he glared at her before nodding to the door.

 “Shut up and bow when he walks in,” he growled out as his thin fingers grasped his tie, roughly jerking it into position. Clenching her jaw she glared forwards at the door, this was a high paying long term assignment and she was already done with it. “Stop glaring, smile.”

 At his snapped command she rolled her eyes then forced a large fake smile on her face as she watched a figure walk down the hall, talking on his phone as he did. It was obviously Chunji, she could see his perpetually quirked lips pulled into a soft grin as he spoke. His head tilted to the side as he bit his lip, his iconic eyes squeezed into an eye smile as his nose scrunched up. He was quite obviously flirting with whoever he was talking to. As soon as he saw her his eyebrows lifted and his lips tugged into a pleased smirk.

 “I’ll talk to you later,” he hung up then put his phone in his pocket as he stared at her. “Hello.”

 “Sajangnim,” Jane immediately dropped into a bow resisting the urge to scowl at her target.

 “Call me Chunji,” his voice dropped attractively as he stared at her. “So, Hanmi left?” He questioned Byunghun as he continued to stare at her, scrutinizing her very appearance.

 “Yes, severance will be on its way by mail.” Chunji’s eyes darkened as he laughed in response to his friends comment.

 “Mail? No,” his head tilted so he was staring at Byunghun, his eyelids drooping with a strange ease for someone who had just been caught cheating just a few hours earlier. “I’ll take it to her, if she wants to cut off all ties, we need to first clear the misunderstandings.”

 “Of course,” Byunghun nodded his head and remained standing.

 “Jane,” she could feel an unpleasant tingle flood through her body at the way he spoke her name. “Let’s work well together.” Chunji winked at her before walking by their desks, instantly Byunghun opened the door for his office for him, letting his boss in before closing the door.

 “What are you doing?” Byunghun frowned at Jane as she started sitting down. “Go and get these photocopied!” He grabbed a file folder that was behind her and shoved it in her arms.

 “I don’t know where the-”

 “Figure it out, I have work to do,” he pointed down the hallway and stared at her. “You’re starting where she left off, so go continue!” Byunghun turned away from her and walked into the CEO’s office. Jane clenched her jaw and glared at him, she smiled as soon as Chunji looked up at her. His lips curled into a smile and he nodded at her before he looked back at Byunghun looking as if he was being nagged for something.

 “I can’t believe him,” she started walking down the hall to find a map. “He’s just trying to get me fired, isn’t he?”


 

 “So who is she?” Chunji leaned back in his chair watching as she stormed off. He lifted his fingers to his mouth, tapping his index finger against his lips as he stared at her legs.

 “Jane Choi,” Byunghun opened the file folder he was holding and scanned it. “Says she went to school in Canada, she knows english and french. I wouldn’t put much stock in her knowing french, it was probably the mediocre high school classes she took.” Chunji held his hand out, moving his middle finger back and forth in a sign of want for the folder.

 “Why did Hanmi choose her?” He took the folder and looked at her references and school list.

 “Bumped into her at a cafe today, Miss Choi was going to interview somewhere else but then decided to assist a stranger instead.”

 “Comradeship over spilled coffee, she won’t last long.”

 “I concur,” Byunghun picked up the folder directly after Chunji tossed it onto his desk.

 “You’re already trying to push her out.” Chunji mused, without telling his ea to Byunghun was already testing the will of the pa.

 “Will you please just hire Changjo, it will be so much easier that way.”

 “I am not hiring Niel’s leftovers,” Chunji scowled as he looked out the window. “His assistants always leaved scarred, I refuse to get damaged goods. Who knows what that idiot does to them.”

 “He is not damaged, he quit because he got what he needed.” Byunghun crossed his arms as he leaned against Chunji’s desk, staring out at the other building scattered across the city. “I think you over did it with your flirtation, you sounded creepy.”

 “We can’t afford another failure L.Joe.” Chunji sounded exasperated, they had gone through so many personal assistants it was hard to count.

 “I told you to stop calling me that,” Byunghun glared at his older friend.

 “I told you to fire her.” Chunji jumped subjects to his latest failure, Hanmi.

 “You’re the one who chose to have with her, you have to deal with the consequences. What is that crap you were saying about giving her the severance pay?”

 “It wasn’t crap,” Chunji pressed his index finger into his temple, lightly rubbing the depressed spot. “I trusted her yet she betrayed me.” Chunji’s voice was low, hanging in the room ominously.

 “She is no different from the others,” Byunghun traced the edge of the folder with his thumb. He refrained from telling his friend that he had in fact betrayed her by cheating on her instead of the other way around. “Am I buying a gift for the one that remained.”

 “No, I dumped her. She had planned the whole encounter, I had thought Hanmi was the type to withstand such things. She is not quite as disciplined as I thought she was, manipulated by the stupid girl I was cheating on her with.”

 “You can’t expect to find a girl exactly like her.” Immediately the two of them glanced at each other dwelling on their past.

 “Jane,” Chunji’s eyes widened in anticipation, looking like a child that had just gotten a new toy. “She has the countenance that she had, doesn’t she?”

 “Chunji, you can’t go after all of your pa’s, testing them.”

 “I haven’t. Only the one’s who look it,” Chunji rubbed the crook of his elbow where his tattoo was hidden by his expensive suit. “Jane, I have a good feeling about her.”

 “That’s why I let her stay.” Byunghun sighed, if it were anyone else he would have never supported such a thing but this was Chunji, the guy was practically his brother. “Do I continue then?” Niel wasn’t the only one that ran his pa’s to the ground, Chunji did as well. Byunghun wished he could stop it but he wanted to help his brother, in all but blood.

 “Yes, make it as hard as you please. I don’t want to chance getting another watered down soul like Hanmi.”

 “Of course not,” Byunghun walked out of the office watching as Jane walked back in the room depositing the warm copies of the papers on his desk.

 “Here they are,” because of her heightened annoyance her training had set in leaving her with a face void of any emotion.

 “I’m warning you just in case you don’t know,” Byunghun looked through the copies she made, assessing them. “This job is hard, dangerous if you’re not able to handle it.” He looked up at her, his brown eyes boring into hers with a stern disposition. “Don’t provoke him,” his voice lowered, barely a whisper as he spoke.

 “I won’t,” Jane stared at Byunghun with a scrunched up nose. She had heard rumours that spoke of Chunji’s wild temper and strange obsessions but she had never found a single bout of evidence to support it. She walked over to her desk and sat down, looking over at Chunji who was still staring out the window.


 

 “I said blue ink, not black,” Byunghun didn’t even look up from his work as Jane bit her tongue stopping herself from snapping at the cocky executive assistant.

 “You said black,” she dropped the black pen she was holding into the pen cup on her desk and grabbed a blue one instead. The whole day he had spent his time sending her on random errands, impossible errands, and stupid errands. When he was sending her on a wild goose chase he was making her do things with strict guidelines, then changing his mind as to what the guidelines were shortly after. Needless to say she had become convinced that he himself created the rumours about Chunji, and warned her about Chunji to scare her off. It was increasingly obvious that he wanted her gone.

 “You shouldn’t talk back to your boss.”

 You’re not my boss, Chunji is, she thought with a growl as she grabbed the phone that had started ringing on her desk. “Hello, this is Lee Chunji’s office, can I take a message?” Her voice dripped with the sweetness that only came from practice.

 “This is Niel,” Jane’s eyebrows rose at hearing her true employers voice through the phone. “I want to schedule a meeting with Chunji.”

 “Of course, I’ll let him know and have call you back when I have cleared it with him.”

 “Thank you,” Niel hung up immediately after his simple message. Jane wrote down the number from caller-id and neatly wrote down his message, it was obvious he didn’t want a meeting. He wanted to know if his ifh was in place. And she was, if she were lucky her quick work of the position would get her a higher paycheck then agreed on.

 “Who was that,” Chunji opened the door and stared at her, his eyebrows cocked in curiosity.

 “Niel said he wanted a-”

 “No,” he shut his door and went back to his desk without letting her finish speak.

 “Okay,” she trailed off then reached for her phone.

 “Use your right hand to answer.”

 “What?”

 “Right hand to answer, left to write, it’s how the desk was planned out,” Byunghun once again set forth annoying rules for her.

 “I’m not left handed.”

 “So learn,” he smiled at her then looked back at his computer, typing rhythmically as he created a presentation for Chunji. “There is a credit card in the top drawer to your left, use that to buy what Chunji asks of you, make sure to credit every recept. We need to know where anything was bought and why. Get up, use the credit card, and buy Chunji his new suit. It’s on hold, now go,” he waved her out of the room not telling her where she was supposed to buy it. “Make sure you bring it for him tomorrow.”

 “Yes sir,” she walked down the hall sighing in relief as she made her way into the elevator. Jane could call Ricky as soon as she got out of sight of the building. She didn’t want to chance her target finding anything out that would betray her position.

 As soon as she got out of the building she changed, she was no longer Jane she was G.NA. Her teacher had called her possessed, he said it was a compliment. It wasn’t always easy to change persona so much that they were unrecognizable to friends even while looking the same; but G.NA could always manage it.

 Taking out her original phone she dialed Ricky and pressed the phone to her ear counting the amount of times if rung. “Noona!” Three rings, he was getting slow.

 “Ricky, did you get the floor plan? I need it, and did you check the reliability of the info Niel sent?”

 “I got the floor plan, you can look it over tonight and memorise it. Niel’s info is reliable, trust me.”

 “I trust you,” she put her hand to her face and sighed at the lack of frames Ricky could hear the silent, it’s him I don’t trust. “He broke my glasses.”

 “Chunji?”

 “Byunghun, he crushed them.”

 “Those were crap, noona.”

 “Discount,” G.NA waved down a taxi and sat down mumbling the address to the driver.

 “Niel wanted to tell you that he was impressed you got into the office so quickly.” Her lips quirked in anticipation of the bonus check on her desk. “He said he wishes you well and hopes you last long enough to get what he needs.”

 “Really,” her voice was monotonous as she pulled out her debit card preparing to pay the taxi driver.

 “Really,” his voice pitched up in thinly veiled excitement. “He also said you can be expecting a little bit extra in your paycheck.” Her eyes lit up as she released a soft sigh of content, music to her ears. “See you soon.”

 G.NA grunted an affirmative then hung up the phone. She had spoken more than she did in a whole week in one day of work. Byunghun had a way of getting on her nerves. Chunji, however, her eyebrows furrowed together as she thought through the day. He spent the whole time in his office, from time to time he smiled at her or winked but that was it. She had no impression on him about his personality. If she couldn’t find out his personality how was she supposed to figure out where he hid any important information? Extrapolation from character charts only did so much after all.

 She closed her eyes and breathed out slowly at the sound of her work phone going off. “Hello?”

 “Jane,” Byunghun’s aggravating voice erupted through the speaker. “Chunji wants breakfast tomorrow, make sure you have it at his office by eight. By the way you’ll want to get the suit tonight. The store doesn’t open until nine tomorrow.” G.NA gripped the phone tighter as she stared out of the window with blazing eyes. “It closes soon so I would hurry,” she could hear the arrogant purr in his voice before he hung up.

 “Personality of the devil,” she hissed before setting her furious gaze upon the taxi driver. “Stop driving.”

 “P-Pardon?” G.NA remained oblivious to the lack of blood that was in the terrified drivers face as she violently tapped her phones screen looking up where the store shop would be.

 “I said stop I have somewhere to be. The address has changed,” she her screen into view showing him the address. “Get there, now.”

 “Yes Ma’am,” clearing his throat in a futile attempt to appear unafraid to his ignorant customer he pressed on the pedal and sped as fast as he could to the new address. Her work phone binged signalling a new message, unwillingly she opened it and read it.

Don’t forget to redo that mess you call hair -Byunghun

 G.NA clenched her jaw together mutely screaming curses at the exective assistant. It was a bad turn of fate on the taxi drivers side because he would constantly end up being her driver and witness her repressed anger whenever she was out of her targets curious eyes.