Truth

Only Thing I Ever Get For Christmas

♥ Day Five ♥

Jaerim decided to go to school exceptionally early, even one hour earlier than when he knew that Soeun would get there. He wanted to think of whether he should slip her the bracelet again through the stocking or talk to her personally because their conversation the previous day was cut short – right before he could confess to her.

Truth was, he had liked her since the Christmas before when he caught her volunteering for the local soup kitchen where he used to go with his family as a child when his parents were both unemployed and their family was in deep financial hardship. He had volunteered every year after their family was stable again, to give back to the hands that fed him, but watching her be so kind to all the kids and their families warmed his heart. That sight of her was a game changer for him. He had always known she existed, but before that moment she was the perfect good girl, loved by teachers, smart, extremely girly, but was talented in sports, especially skiing, which she showcased her skills in during their class winter field trip at the slopes.

He didn’t have the time to confess; she was always doing something, during lunch, before school and after school, other extracurricular activities on the weekend. Jaerim didn’t know when her schedule started nor stopped. Besides, it’s not like she ever looked his way. Truthfully, sleeping in class was a way to take careful peeks at her, and he perfected the way to angle his arms and crook his head so he could take a direct view of Soeun. When he ignored her in front of the class when she would try to calm them down or get them to do work, was just another way to talk to her, even if it was her chastising him and him making smart-aleck comments fuelled by sarcastic tones. When she was ticked off, especially at him, Jaerim could see the adorable way she gets angry or annoyed with pursed lips, puffed cheeks and twitching nose.

So, that day when she took the initiative to talk to him, was one of the best days of his life. Sure, it was to make a snide remark asking if he was toying with the girls who crushed on him in their class, but Jaerim would gladly assume that it was a sign of her jealousy. He grinned at the thought, but now he just wanted to see if there was a possibility that Soeun could like him too, that she could be his girl, and he thought that what better way to confess than during the winter at Christmas time, possibly the most romantic time of the year when couples had an excuse to hold hands and cuddle and kiss with falling white snow as the picturesque background.

But, there was always a but, and that Jaemyung sunbae threw a complete spanner into the works, foiling all of Jaerim’s plans. That guy, Jaerim thinks. Pfffftttt…what was so good about him? Well, yeah, he had it all; the girls swooning at him, and he had smooth moves not only on the dance floor, but with the ladies as well, came from a family of esteemed business men, and one of the smartest guys at the school. The only fault that Jaerim could find in him was that Jaemyung was a bit cocky at times, but after all, Jaemyung had the background and smarts to justify it. Still, Jaerim found it a bit odd that he would go after Soeun, especially since she was in the grade below and there was a rumor that he liked noonas, girls with an aura of sophistication and life experience, not that Jaerim was insinuating that Soeun wasn’t pretty of good enough, because he firmly believed that she was a descendant of the angels. Still, Jaerim couldn’t shake the nagging feeling that something was off.

So, now, Jaerim needs to be extra careful, because if Soeun does agree to be Jaemyung’s girlfriend, then he would be devastated. But giving up is not part of Jaerim’s being. If, she does become Jaemyung’s girlfriend, then if he was right all along, and Jaemyung breaks her heart, he would be ready to pick up, glue together, and sticky tape all the pieces together.

He hears a commotion, the sound coming from the distance, but startled from his reverie, Jaerim follows the noise and stumbles upon Jaemyung and his friends. Jaerim looks for Soeun, and he catches her leaving the group, the sight of her backpack just disappearing behind the lockers. He watches intently as Jaemyung and the other guys stay silent as she walks off, taking glances making sure that she wasn’t in the vicinity. Jaerim places a foot forward, only to end up hiding behind some lockers on his side of the hallway.

One guy, Jaerim thinks whose name was Sangjin, pats Jaemyung on the back.

“Confident about this?”

“Of course. Soeun’s going to answer me before the end of school and all of you heads owe me W50,000…”

“She looks like she’s a tough one to crack. We’ll see how this ends up. Don’t get too full of yourself before she says ‘yes’…”

“She’s a girl. Girls can’t resist me. Just get your mo-“

 Before Jaemyung could finish the sentence, he was knocked down to the floor, his lip bleeding. Jaerim’s eyes are burning, filled with rage, wanting to kill the guy on the floor. They all hear a gasp and turn their heads. His eyes go wide.

Soeun…