one

Break Your Heart Right Back

“Kris!” she s her arms around his neck and began to trace circles on his exposed collarbone. “How did you know I wanted a Gucci bag?”

“What are you talking about Ahri?” Kris began to shift in his seat under her pestering touch, “I found the receipt! Babe how’d you know this was the one I wanted?”

Kris felt his heart drop and his palms start to get moist. He tried to keep his composure, he’s been keeping this secret for a few months now and he could continue to keep it too if he could just get a few seconds to clear his head. She placed a kiss on his cheek and began to move lower, she kissed his jaw and then stopped, Kris felt her smile tease his skin.

“Oh that? It was a present for my mother. I haven’t seen her in awhile and felt guilty for being such a bad son.”

Ahri stopped tracing circles along his collarbone and stopped teasing his skin with soft kisses.  She studied his side profile for an agonizingly long time. Any longer and Kris would crack under the scrutiny of her large questioning eyes. She climbed onto the couch next to him and passed him back the receipt.

Kris let out a breath he didn’t realize he was holding, and slowly he rubbed his moist palms on the knees of his jeans and grabbed onto Ahri’s thigh reassuringly. “Well now I know which one you want? No beating around the bush we can go out and get you one first thing tomorrow then,” he said as he slowly rose from the couch.

 

Ahri smiled to herself and lowered herself into Kris’ place on the couch. She could still smell him there and he had been wearing the cologne she bought for him. She felt both touched and pleased that he actually wore it after all her hard work picking out the perfect scent and his complaining about its femininity. Tao had even backed her up on it. He was ultimately the one to convince Kris and Ahri had been grateful for it.

 

With her new bag in hand Ahri clasped onto Kris’ forearm when she noticed a familiar figure walking towards the food court. “Yah is that Tao?!” she hollered dragging Kris with her.

At the mere mention of his name Kris felt his insides going crazy. He couldn’t help the smile threatening to reveal itself upon his lips. The sight of his best friend did things to him that were unexplainable.

 

Tao hearing his name being called turned around to come face to face with his best friend and his best friend’s girlfriend.

 

As if they were entranced in their own world Kris and Tao just stood there and stared deeply into each other's eyes. With a slight tug of his shirt hem Kris broke eye contact first. Looking down he came face to face with Ahri’s large questioning eyes, “aren't you going to…you know…say anything?” She whispered embarrassed for him for being so unusual.

Kris laughed awkwardly and rubbed the nape of his neck. “Sup man,” he said and Tao returned it with a nod. “Dduizhang we seriously need to have a guys night out soon” Tao said smiling at Kris, and again they were in their own world.

Ahri sensing she was missing out on something tried to join the conversation too. “Tao-ssi would you like to join us for lunch? I haven't seen you in awhile and would love to catch up” she gave him her warmest smile and he quickly agreed.

 

A few days had passed since Tao had crashed their outing and usually Ahri wouldn't have minded but something had changed in Kris and she couldn't help but notice. Kris was different. More distant even.

 

“Maybe he just doesn't love you anymore?” Key said not trying to sugarcoat anything. He continued to dip his smothered fry in ketchup.

“That’s ridiculous! My baby loves me.” Ahri said with a shy smile.

“Oh or maybe he’s found a new girl, a noona even!” Tiffany said adding fuel to the fire. Ahri glared at Tiffany and she lifted her hands in defeat. Ahri went back to picking at her salad. Why would Kris be so distant?

“Or maybe that's him right there: kissing a guy!” Jessica stood from her seat with all the excitement and pointed at the tall figure shockingly.

Ahri nearly choked. The sight she was witnessing was surely a joke. That couldn't have been her long time boyfriend Kris making out with a guy. Her eyes were playing tricks on her.

 

“Alright, funny nice joke Jessica” she said, an etch of a frown beginning to form.

“No wait it really is him I’m sure of it! We can wait around now and find out tonight or we can follow him!” Jessica grasped Ahri’s wrist, threw down some spare change on their table, and made for the door. Key and Tiffany rustled together some scrap change as well following close behind.

“Omo it really is Kris and Tao” Key said slapping Tiffany’s shoulders repeatedly. “I can see that Key I have two eyes and I'm watching the hand holding too,” Tiffany said with a hint of irritation.

 

Ahri’s heart was broken. Kris cheating on her with Tao...How could she have not seen the signs?! They were constantly in their own world when she was around. Ahri felt like a fool giving her all to Kris when in reality she was his cover up!

“To think you know a person,” Jessica mumbled. She looked to her dear friend and patted her back as she cried in her arms.

 

“Don't worry we’ll just have to break his heart right back.”