~Search 13

Where I Found You

+++

The next morning Chun dropped Deshi off at the Day Care a little earlier than usual. To Selina’s disappointment she had missed him then wondered again if Chun really was trying to ignore her. Forgetting the thought she placed all her attention onto Deshi. She had expected Jiro to drop by and hang out for a bit, but he didn’t show up. The day went by fast and Chun had returned to pick up Deshi. Selina followed him outside carrying Deshi. Chun opened one of the back seats where Deshi’s baby seat was and turned around to take Deshi from her then turned back around with his back facing her. He hadn’t said a word to her. Was he really trying to ignore her? Why? She hadn’t done anything wrong. Why was he always so moody? She couldn’t understand.

To her surprise Chun closed the door turning around, “You free tomorrow?”

Selina felt as shocked as she was surprised. She hadn’t expected a question like that to come from him.

“Yes,” Selina replied with a smile climbing onto her lips that she didn’t want to get any bigger.

She didn’t want Chun to think she was desperate.

“Lets meet tomorrow,” Chun told.

“Sure,” Selina nodded her head.  

+++

“Do you know how much an old person goes to the bathroom a day?” Hebe questioned. “My God that old man almost slipped in the bathroom and I had to go assist him. You couldn’t believe it! He even tried grabbing me. I was so horrified. I hope I never meet him again.”

“Uh-huh,” Selina replied staring out the window.

All Hebe’s words had gone through her ears without being transmitted to her brain. All she could think about was her date tomorrow. What should she wear? What make up should she put on? How should she do her hair?

Hebe turned and gave Selina a stern look.

“Selina! Are you listening to me?” Hebe asked.

“Oh yes of course,” Selina said turning to Hebe with a strange smile Hebe couldn’t interpret.

“What was I saying?” Hebe asked.

“You found a date for Ella’s engagement party,” Selina told.

Hebe rolled her eyes, “I knew you weren’t listening.”

“Is something wrong?” asked Selina cheerily.

“What are you thinking about?” Hebe asked.

“No one,” Selina replied.

“Then who are you thinking about?” Hebe changed her question.

Selina’s smile enveloped her face and turned away shyly.

“I have a date tomorrow,” Selina told giggling.

Hebe stared at her lost.

“A date and you’re happy? Wow,” Hebe said turning back to the street. “Who is he?”

“I’m not telling you,” Selina told.

Hebe thought for a second then knew who it was, “It’s him! That baby’s father! Selina I told you…”

“Stop it!” Selina shouted. “I know. My mistakes will be my problem I don’t need you to take care of me like you’re my mom.”

“Then who’s going to be your mom? Ella? She’s my husband,” Hebe told.

“I love your humor,” Selina told patting Hebe’s shoulder.

Hebe frowned at Selina frustratingly.

“Don’t tell Ella though. She doesn’t seem to be in the mood for this kind of thing,” Selina told then got out of the car Hebe had parked in the lot.

Hebe watched Selina leave. Whenever Hebe had any feelings about anything she was always right. She didn’t have a good feeling about this guy that Selina envied so much. The way he and Ella stared at each other when he first stepped into their apartment already gave her a bad vibe. She had a feeling that there was something Ella was concealing from them and lately with Ella’s behavior she knew she was right. Deshi’s father was the answer to it all.

+++

“Hello?” Jiro answered his phone.

“Hey it’s me,” Chun told. “You doing anything tomorrow?”

“Not really. What’s up?” asked Jiro.

“I was wondering if we could meet up,” Chun suggested, “I’ve got a sitter for Deshi so maybe we can hang out.”

+++

Selina immediately ran into her room as she reached their apartment. She opened her walk in closet and went through her dresses. Since young her mother had always told her she looked best in dresses. Now was the time to impress Chun. Selina sorted through her dresses trying them on in front of the mirror throwing a dress down after another. Without noticing Hebe glanced through her door and shook her head disapprovingly.

She fell asleep that night with a white laced dress and a blue vest to go with it hanging in front of her. She fell asleep day dreaming of the possibilities of tomorrow.

Waking up early Selina hung around a bit watching the television as she awaited for evening to come. Ella had announced she would be out for the day with Calvin. Hebe stood behind Selina trying a new recipe out of a book eyeing Selina every minute or so. Guys had always seemed so much trouble to her. She remembered getting into a relationship when she was ten years old. Of course her boyfriend was the same age, but he’d cheated on her, and she ended up kicking him in the shins. Maybe it wasn’t a real relationship with feelings, but she was angry at the fact that she wasn’t good enough for him. After that she decided not to trouble herself with guys, but her two friends obviously haven’t learned their lesson.

At about four Selina hurried off the couch and ran into her room. Hebe tried guessing what Selina was doing, but gave up after an hour. She had made herself comfortable on the couch watching Kung Fu Panda when Selina came out at six all dressed and made up. Her hair was tied back neatly with small curls hanging off her shoulders. Her face had glamorous make up that she’d only use once in a while. Her dress surprised Hebe because Selina never wore anything too short, but her dress tonight was short. Hebe raised an eyebrow.

“Ta-da! How is it?” Selina asked. “Pretty right?”

“Sure go get yourself pregnant,” Hebe urged.

Selina let her hands fall from the air and slap against her legs, “Hebe!”

“Ok, ok, ok! My y daughter has a date tonight. Don’t be back too late. I’ll be up waiting,” Hebe told.

Selina smiled satisfied and kissed Hebe on the cheek.

“Of course,” Selina told and hurried off.

“Bring a jacket! It’s cold out! Use that long jacket!” Hebe shouted after her.

Selina ignored Hebe’s suggestion and hurried off. She walked down the Taipei streets and stared up at the lights lighting the whole night sky. It had been getting chillier these few nights, but tonight looking good was all that mattered to her. When she reached the café she was sure Chun was talking about she didn’t see him anywhere. Afraid that he’d miss her if she sat inside Selina stood outside by the railings watching the cars drive to and fro. She stood for a while and checked her watch again. Ten minutes to go.  

+++

It had been a while since Jiro and Chun had gone out by themselves without Deshi being around. Chun’s sudden call yesterday surprised Jiro. Why would he suddenly want to meet?

Jiro walked down the sidewalk coolly enjoying the cool air. He stuck his hands into his sweater and stopped when he recognized Selina leaning on the rail staring into the street. What was Selina doing there?

“Hi miss what brings you here?” Jiro asked going to stand by her.

Selina turned to him looking surprised at first then smiled beautifully.

“I’m going to eat dinner with Chun,” Selina told.

It was then that Jiro knew his suspicion was correct. Chun was trying to set them up. If Chun really was going to have dinner with a person he’d arrive thirty minutes early. Should he tell Selina? Or should he lie?

“He invited me too,” Jiro told.

“Oh really?” Selina’s smile dropped for a moment then brought it back to her face.

“You look pretty tonight,” Jiro complimented noticing her short dress, “should we go inside? It’s chilly out here.”

“Ok,” Selina agreed.

They sat inside for a bit until Jiro suggested that they order their food while they waited for Chun. Selina ate happily and chatted cheerily. Watching her made Jiro feel worse. She hadn’t realized what Chun was up to. After eating a quick bowl of warm soup Selina stared back out of the window and Jiro noticed. He figured she must really be waiting for Chun. Jiro could feel himself cursing Chun inside his head. What a fool Chun was! He’d only made things worse.

“Lets go back outside. Maybe Chun didn’t see us in here,” Selina suggested.

Before Jiro could say anything Selina already hurried out. It had gotten darker and colder. Jiro stopped a few steps behind Selina. She must had been really expecting Chun. Feeling bad for her Jiro took of his sweater.

“You’ll probably feel uncomfortable if I put this on you. Wear it yourself ok?” Jiro told.

“It’s fine. I’m not that cold,” Selina rejected his offer.

“Please,” Jiro tired again, “you’re going to freeze.”

Feeling that if she rejected his offer once more Jiro would feel bad Selina took his sweater and put her arms through the sleeves. The sweater wasn’t amazingly big since Jiro was bigger than her she hadn’t expected the sweater to fit. The sleeves hung past her arms but Selina pulled them up so her hands reached through. She didn’t look like she was his girlfriend did she?

“Thanks,” Selina told.

They stood silently for a bit. Jiro debating whether he should break it to Selina or not. Selina wondering of Chun was coming or not.

Finally Jiro turned to Selina, “I have something to tell you.”

“What is it?” Selina asked still staring ahead.

“Can you turn around?” Jiro asked.

Noticing the tone of his concerned voice Selina turned with a puzzled expression. Why did Jiro look worried?

“You’re the first girl I’ve liked since a while. Chun knows it.” Jiro began. “He’s not coming tonight. He believes this is a chance for us to get together.”

Selina felt her heart beat faster finally believing that Jiro had been serious. He wasn’t just a flirt after all.

“But I feel that Chun has a sort of special attachment toward you. You’re good with Deshi, you’re good with food, you’re good at cleaning, and Chun needs that in his busy life. You know he works two jobs. He got injured a while ago before he fell sick and you can see that he’s really tired, yet he tries doing his best. He needs you.” Jiro told. “He’s needs you more than I do. Chun won’t admit it, but I’m sure he likes you, and I know you like him too.”

Selina was stunned. She felt stupid for a moment then pulled back into reality.

“What?” she asked.

“Go for it Selina…but remember if there’s any trouble I’m here for you,” Jiro told.

Selina stood staring at Jiro for a while. Jiro smiled at Selina and taking it as a cue Selina started off at a slow run. As she passed through the crowd she increased her pace.

Jiro turned to watch as Selina quickly disappeared into the crowd. He felt better now.

+++

Chun likes her. Jiro said Chun likes her. Knowing how stubborn he was Selina knew it must be true. Maybe that’s why he’d been avoiding her. He’d been afraid to face the truth. Selina couldn’t blame him. His wife had left him. His heart must be frail.

Selina crossed the street over to the apartment building where Chun lived. Instead of taking the elevator that everybody took Selina took the long stairs instead. With her heart beating this fast she wouldn’t be able to stand still and wait. Finally stopping in front of his apartment her mind ran around in circles bewildered. What would she say? Oh well, whatever came out of would come. She would be ready. Selina rung the doorbell and waited.

As the door opened she shouted, “Who do you think you are?! God?! You think that if you hook me up with any guy then we’d get together? Will you feel better if I was out of your life? You think you’re so great huh? You should know already the reason to why I’m always hanging around you. I don’t care if you have a baby, I like you!”

Selina stared at him angrily then turned around and ran. Was that all? She’d expected a longer speech to come out of her, but that was it. She was done with what she had to say. She liked him and that was all. Thoughts swirled inside her head as she ran down the stairs. If she could face up to reality then couldn’t he?