Part Four

Slipping Through My Heart Like Smoke

Slipping Through My Heart Like Smoke
Four

 

 

 

When Kyungsoo woke up he was surprised to see Kai fully awake and looking outside the window, eyes full of seriousness and eyebrows scrunched together.

 

 

Seeing him made him immediately jolt awake and sit upright. There must be bothering him and it doesn't look good, Kyungsoo thought. He stands up and slowly approaches Kai with quiet steps. He wants to ask him what is wrong or did something happen while they were asleep.

 

 

Before he speaks he gulps and tries to wash off the uneasiness creeping through his chest."Kai, I-Is there something wrong?" Kyungsoo stutters and bit his lips when Kai turns around, arms crossed and still bare top.

 

 

Judging by Kai's bronzed skin, Kai is definitely outside all the time. And there are few healed scratches and cuts near his neck and collar bone. His dark hair tousled and pointing different direction. He looks different from the Kai he met days ago but his eyes are still the same, fierce and icy.

 

 

"No." Kai answer shortly and gets a sigh of relief from Kyungsoo."But it doesn't mean it won't. I still feel their presence on this land and it's getting close. We have to leave as soon as we can." He quickly adds.

 

 

The uneasy feeling returns to his chest and fear follows. They have to leave but where to? Where are they going? Is there a safe place in earth? Kyungsoo frowns. Of course there isn’t. He stares at Kai. Is Kai able to teleport right now?

 

 

"Kai can you teleport right now?" Kyungsoo asks.

 

 

For a second, Kai grimace but nods. "Yes I can."

 

 

He saw Kai's grimace flashed and it bothers him so Kyungsoo asks again. "You can but…?"

 

 

Kai raise his brow then smirks at him, eyes still piercing and intimidating. "You're a good observant. That might be useful." The smirk now disappears and replaced by a thin line. "I can teleport now but not that far. I still don't have enough energy to do so."

 

 

Kai takes few steps forward towards him and crosses his arms. "What else do you want to know from me?"

 

 

"Huh?" he backs away, keeping a safe distance from Kai.

 

 

"What do want to know?" Kai repeats with a stern voice this time. "I don't want you to keep asking questions while on the run. Ask me now while we still got time." And ends it with gruff.

 

 

"Uh…" Kyungsoo's mind is a mess. He can’t think straight. There are so many questions popping up on his mind that it became unclear. So he takes deep breaths and eases his mind. When he does, he speaks up.

 

 

"Where do you come from?" He asks and stares at Kai nervously, still terrified by Kai.

 

 

Kai stares back at him. "I’m from the future in another dimension." His monotone voice still gives Kyungsoo shivers but the revelation made his heart drop.

 

 

Kyungsoo gasps and grips the end of his shirt. "F-Future… other dimension." His head feels like splitting into two. This can’t be true.  A voice in his head keep saying it isn't true but there is another voice says it is. It’s like he torn apart on which he should listen.

 

 

"Could you please be specific?" He bit his lips when Kai groans.

 

 

"Year 6192. In Seoul, South Korean." Kai answers him.

 

 

And because of that Kyungsoo is more confused than before. So Kai is from Seoul that means he is human but at the same he is not? Maybe it’s because he’s from another time and world. Did Kai somehow mutate himself? Kyungsoo then remembers Kai said “our kind” last night. That means Kai is not alone. And those that are chasing them were they from the future too? Probably. Why are those chasing them?

 

 

The questions didn’t stop there and it keeps on going. Kyungsoo coughs and soothes his scrunched forehead. The tangled strings of thoughts and question are abruptly stop when the shadow of a tall figure cover his small frame. He looks up and sees Kai gazing at him with dull eyes.

 

 

“Sit down.” Kai commands him. Kyungsoo’s body immediately responded and follows Kai’s order immediately. Kai also sit downs and now they are face to face. Kyungsoo looks away because Jongin’s gaze is too intense for him to take.

 

 

“Look at me.”

 

 

Kyungsoo obeys. He returns his eyes back to Kai.

 

 

“I’m going to share a piece of the history in my time.” He pauses and waits for Kyungsoo to calm his nerves. Kai is fully aware that Kyungsoo fears him. The information he is going to share is important and wants Kyungsoo to be fully attentive and aware.

 

 

 

"In the year 6056, a group of scientists secretly started creating the ultimate weapon of war. They want something indestructible, controllable and deadly. And of course they were able to succeed after 87 years experimenting with the help of government and the people's money. It is called SE-9053. It has a smoke like body that can shape shift to any form. It can go through walls and kill any living being by its toxic gas it releases. It was the perfect weapon but it wasn't. Yes they made it invincible but it isn't controllable. After a few months of its existence it went on a rampage going to different countries and started to eating humans. The world's population decreased drastically over 5 months." Kai stops when he sees Kyungsoo shaking, still trying to take in the information Kai shared.

 

 

"It’s really a horrible sight. Especially when it eats, first it traps its victim in his toxic body then melts its victim’s skin…" Kai cringes. “, and all the victim's nutrients. The most disgusting part of it you get to watch it melt its victim's body until you can see the bare muscles and bones."

 

 

Kyungsoo badly tries not to imagine that gruesome image and swallows thickly when he almost hurled. "Th-That's horrible." He comments. The hairs on his arm stands and his heart beats fast like the wings of a humming bird.

 

 

The mists-- the Wraiths are really vicious monsters.  And it’s after them. Kyungsoo’s breathing became shallow and harsh.  To be killed in such cruel way really makes him sick. Kyungsoo thought learning more about Kai and Wraiths will make him understand or gain a little courage because he knows what he is facing. But what he heard is too much, too horrifying.

 

And they think using a monster in a war will cause peace? Heck, it’s made for destruction. Killing. How will that solve anything?

 

 

Kai nods and continues. "Instead calling it SE-9053, we now call those Wraiths. Do you know what Wraith means?" Kai asks and Kyungsoo shakes his head.

 

 

"It means the spirit of the dead person." Kai paused and briefly stare at Kyungsoo in the eyes. "Believe it or not, Wraiths used to humans. Like me." The last two words were hushed but it's loud and clear for Kyungsoo.

 

 

Kyungsoo gasps and shuffles away from Kai until his back is against the wall.

 

 

"Kyungsoo…" Kai calls and sighs when he didn't budge. Kai looks like he isn't surprise by his reaction. "I won't harm you."

 

 

He’s one of those. Is he also a monster?

 

 

"But you did." Kyungsoo fires back, eyes not leaving Jongin's. He touched his neck with shaking hands as he replays the memories when they first met.

 

 

The red marks still remains and so as the pain and fear Kai caused. Kai is one of those, those monsters. Yes, he's a monster.

 

 

"You str-stranggled me and threatened to drop m-me from the top of a building." Now tears fall down. Frustrations, fear, confusion and anger jumbling his insides.

 

 

All this time, he has been with a monster. He should have left Kai there on the streets. He should have run away. Is it going to eat him too? Or kill him? Then why did Kai save him? Why did he get involved in this chase?  He should in his apartment right now. Getting dressed for work and seeing his friends, chatting and laughing at some corny jokes. Kyungsoo wants to go back, back home but he can't because of Kai. It's Kai entire fault.

 

 

"What makes you different!?" Kyungsoo blurts and points an accusing finger. "You and those things are the same! Abnormal and killers!"

 

 

Kai didn't say anything back. Kai's facial expression turn stoic just like the first time they met. They became quiet for a couple of minutes, eyes not leaving each other's form. Kyungsoo doesn't know why Kai is suddenly quiet. Now he is feeling regret mixed with horror because he offended Kai. Oh no, I made him mad. He’s going to hurt me.

 

 

"I'm sorry." Kyungsoo mutters quickly and looks away. "Please don't be mad at me."

 

 

"It's alright." Kai said and looked at the sky outside the window. "And I already told you I won't hurt you anymore, right?"

 

 

"Yes…" Kyungsoo looks down at his feet filled with blisters then back to Kai.

 

 

"Keep that in mind." Kai said. "Wraiths are the souls of the dead people. I found out few months ago that the scientists used the dead bodies for the experiments, I don't know how they did it but they succeed."

 

 

"And I…" Kyungsoo sees Kai's hand turn to fists. Kai looks like his stopping himself from exploding. "I was also part of their experiment. I was abducted. They keep on injecting syringe all over my body and at the same trained me to fight. It was pure torture. My whole body was sore and numb. I really thought I was going to die inside of that hell."

 

 

Kyungsoo bit his lip. He slowly crawls to Kai's side. "You don't have to continue explaining me; I mean its making you angry…"

 

 

Kai seemed to calm down after hearing his words and shook his head. Kai continues on where he left. "But I survived and became one of their successful experiments. I can teleport. They used the same methods on what they did with the wraiths but with slight changes. I was their first successful experiments.”

 

 

“First?”

 

 

“Yes.” Kai replied. “But I didn’t pass their satisfactory. Like what I mentioned earlier, they want something indestructible and controllable. It was good news to me, I won’t be controlled by them but they locked me up in a special cage. They kept on tranquilizing me to prevent me from escaping. Especially I have my teleporting powers.” Kai stops and looks at the wooden door. “She’s coming. We’ll talk later.”

 

 

“Huh?” Kyungsoo hears three knocks then the door opens slowly. Mrs. Haruka peeks on them and gives another warm smile at them. She was wearing her green gardening gloves and floral print clothes.

 

 

Good morning.” She says in English. Kai is confused and sends a questioning look to Kyungsoo.

 

 

Good mo-morning!” he stutters and bows at her to show respect.

 

 

Still confused, Kai just copied his actions.

 

 

“I prepared food, eat breakfast.” She told them then points at the closet where Kyungsoo got the futons. “There are boy clothes inside. Change and go down, okay?

 

 

Kyungsoo nods and thanks her in Japanese. Kyungsoo turns his attention back to Kai when she left them alone.

 

 

“She wants us to change clothes and eat breakfast.” Kyungsoo explain and stands up with wobbly legs.

 

 

“Can she be trusted?” Kai asks and also stands up.

 

 

“I-I don’t know? She doesn’t look like she can hurt somebody.” He heads to closet and opens it. “She provided us temporary shelter. We need Mrs. Haruka for now.” He grabbed the clothes then tossed the shirt and sweatpants to Kai.

 

 

“Wear those. It’s bigger, it think it will fit you well.” Kyungsoo turns around and grabbed his own clothes. He removes his dirty shirt first and slips on the new one. It fits well but how am I going to wear the shorts. He glanced at Kai, wondering if he already wore his clothes and surprised to see him watching him with soft eyes. Kyungsoo felt uncomfortable under his gaze.

 

 

“What’s wrong?” he asks, his back facing Kai. Kai slowly walks to him with those gentle eyes which Kyungsoo find it bizarre. Kai raised his hand and Kyungsoo flinches.  What is he doing? Kyungsoo closed his eyes tight, waiting for something painful but gasps when he felt fingertips on his neck.

 

 

Kyungsoo’s eyes snaps open. Kai is eyeing his neck, tracing softly the angry red marks by his fingertips. His fingertips feel warm.

 

 

“These marks will disappear right?” Kai asks out of nowhere.

 

 

“Yes…in a few days.” Kyungsoo bites his lips hard when Kai brushed his fingertip near the underneath his ear. It’s the most sensitive spot on his neck.

 

 

“I’m sorry…” Kai whispers and removes his hand away from his neck. Kyungsoo then turns around, still shocked by Kai’s actions. Why did he…?

 

 

Kai turns around and says. “Tell me if you’re done.”  

 

 

Kyungsoo gapes at Kai. He apologized to me. It was unexpected and odd. Why did he suddenly apologize? Did Kai felt bad seeing the marks on his neck? Maybe. Who knows—he is glad to hear those words. A small smile appears on his lips removes the remaining dirty clothes he’s wearing and change.

 

 

When he is fully changed to clean clothes, he checks at Kai. He is standing quietly still. “Kai, I’m going to wait for you outside the room so you can change here privately.” He says to Kai and goes to the door and opens it. Before he leaves, he looks back at Kai again.

 

 

Kai was staring at nothing. He has this distant look on his face and Kyungsoo thinks he is in deep thoughts.  Yeah, that must be it. He wants to call Kai but decided to let him be because whatever he is thinking might be important.

 

 

He silently steps out of the room and close the door. Kyungsoo sighs and slumps his back on the wooden wall space just beside the door. He still has hard time remembering every detail of information Kai gave him. That kind of information is big and risky and should be kept secret to the public.  And Kai’s behavior change still weird him out.

 

 

But it was nice.

 

 

 

 

///

 

 

 

 

They both went downstairs together; the house is quite small so they quickly spotted dining area.  On the table there are two mugs of coffee, a jar of strawberry and loaf breads but Mrs. Haruka isn’t in sight. Both of them sat on the chairs and eats in peace.

 

 

“Kai…” Kyungsoo calls and grabs Kai’s attention. “Can I ask you something?”

 

 

Kai nods and takes a bite of his strawberry sandwich.

 

 

 “Why are the Wraiths chasing you?” Kyungsoo asks puts down his bread on the floral print saucer. And he looks at Kai briefly before looking away.

 

 

“They see me as a threat.”Kai also set down his bread. “Which I am.”

 

 

Kyungsoo was confused he was about to ask Kai he meant but Kai answered him already before could say the question.

 

 

“I was searching for something to kill those. I am the closest level with Wraiths.” Kai paused and sips his coffee. “Wraiths are also given intelligence by the their makers. It knows my intentions thus why it’s chasing me.” Kai said.

 

 

“I need to find it fast so the future can be saved.”

 

 

Kyungsoo sees the stress on Kai’s face. It must be really hard for Kai. To be chased by those monsters and save the future. His bring a heavy task on his shoulder. His mission won’t be an easy one.

 

 

“Then how did you got here? Did you have a time machine in the future?” Kyungsoo asks again.

 

 

Kai frowns at his question. “I really don’t know. I teleported away from the Wraiths then the next thing I saw is I’m here, in the past, in your time.”

 

 

“The Wraiths?”

 

 

 

“After 30 minutes of my stay, the wraiths got here too. And I noticed that it doesn’t feed on people here.”  Kai rest both of his arms on the table. Brows almost like stitch together and thinking hard. “Why?”

 

 

They stay quiet until Mrs. Haruka enters the dining room with her now dirt covered gloves. Strands of her grey hair fell over her face and sweat falling down her forehead.

 

 

You done?” she asks and looks at the two boys. She grabs a glass and opens the fringe. “Not yet?” she takes out the pitcher and poor the cold water onto her glass.

 

 

I’m done.” Kyungsoo said and unconsciously raised his hand.

 

 

Can you help with the flowers? Garden?”  She said and drinks her glass of water.

 

Yes.” Kyungsoo stood up and looked at Kai. “Kai, I’m going to help Mrs. Haruka.”

 

 

Kai raised a brow. “Why?”

 

 

“Well, she let us stay here because she needs assistance in her flower shop.” Kyungsoo explains. “Are you done eating?” he asked. Kai nods and also stands up.

 

 

We’re both done.” Kyungsoo tells Mrs. Haruka. She smiled at the two young men then orders them to follow them.

 

 

///

 

 

 

Gardening is fun. Kyungsoo and Mrs. Haruka kept on talking to each other, sharing stories and thoughts about random things, telling stories about their unforgettable childhood days.

 

 

Kyungsoo sprays some insecticidal soap to a plant called gardenia. He smiles in content to the beautiful flower before moving into the next. Kyungsoo glances at Kai and almost laughs at him because he is wearing a serious expression while he waters the colorful chrysanthemums. His fingers are covered with band-aids because he accidentally pricks himself while cutting some dead leaves on the roses.

 

 

He heard a stifled giggle beside him and sees Mrs. Haruka stopping herself to laugh at Kai.

 

 

“He is funny.”  She told Kyungsoo and he agrees.

 

 

What is your name? I forgot to asks.” She said and cuts the dead leaf of the gardenia.

 

 

My name is Kyungsoo.” He answers and moves onto the next plant.

 

 

Him?” she points at Kai, who is still wearing with a serious expression.

 

 

Kai.” He answers again.

 

 

Why did you go to Japan?” she asks again and it’s making Kyungsoo uncomfortable. Mrs. Haruka is asking too much questions and Kyungsoo is afraid that she might be suspicious of them.

 

 

Uhh… Vacation then w-we got lost.” He replies and focuses his attention to the gardenias.

 

 

It became quiet between them. Kyungsoo can’t say if it’s an awkward or comfortable silence. Mrs. Haruka seems to understand he isn’t in the mood to talk right now and stays quiet. After a few minutes she speaks.

 

 

 

“You both remind me of my two sons.” She says randomly. Kyungsoo was a little surprise with her sudden outburst.

 

 

One is timid and one is always grumpy.” She stops her works and stares at the gardenia. “I missed them both.

 

 

Curious. Kyungsoo asks a question. “W-Where they both now?”

 

 

“The grumpy one is in America. He is married and working as a teacher.”

 

 

So that’s why she’s so good in English. Kyungsoo thought.

 

 

But the timid one…” she sighs and looks down on the ground. “My youngest died because he has cancer 5 years ago.

 

 

That surprised Kyungsoo. He remained quiet and listens to her soft sniffs and sobs.

 

 

It is very hard for a parent to see their child go… go first before them. It hurts so badly.” She removes her gloves and wipes the tears in her eyes. “I’m just so lonely.

 

 

Kyungsoo puts his hand behind her back and bends down a little bit. “D-Don’t cry.

 

 

Now Kyungsoo wonders if his parents will have the same reaction as hers. He is the only child. If he didn’t survive this, are they going to cry like this her? Feel lonely like her? Who’ll take care of them? He doesn’t want that. He doesn’t want them to have the experience as hers.

 

 

Kyungsoo then notices he is also crying with her.

 

 

And Kai saw that.

 

 

 

 

///

 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo and Kai went back to their rooms after the tiring work. Mrs. Haruka said that she can take the rest of the work to her. He insists to help but she declines and told them to rest or to clean themselves. Both of his arms felt sore from moving the heavy pots and buckets of water but Kai looks perfectly fine to him. He isn’t that sweaty compared to him. Maybe it’s one of Kai’s benefits from his power.

 

Right now, he is sitting on the floor again while Kai is busy looking out the sky again.

 

 

 “Kyungsoo…” Kai calls him.

 

 

Kyungsoo quickly turns and stands up, almost stumbled on his foot. “Y-Yes!?”

 

 

Kai looks he’s been let down for some reason. Disappointed? “Tell me why you were crying earlier.”

 

 

“Oh, you saw that.” Kyungsoo stare at the floor. “Mrs. Haruka just… reminded me of my mom and dad.”

 

 

Kai didn’t say anything and still looking outside the window. Kyungsoo wonders if Kai is also missing someone in his time.

 

 

“We’re leaving tomorrow morning.” Kai announces and turns to him. Kyungsoo looks up at him with wide eyes and gaping mouth.

 

 

“Already?!” he blurts. “Are those getting close?”

 

 

“No, but they are moving in a fast pace.” Kai’s stoic face returns. That means the Kai he knew yesterday is coming back. Cold and harsh.  Kyungsoo’s shoulder tenses at the bad news he heard. Now, he starts worrying about himself.

 

 

Kai noticed the change of Kyungsoo’s facial expression and approach him. Kyungsoo stares at him as he get closer then kneel down to met his eye level.

 

 

“Don’t let any of those…” Kai paused. “, or me bother you. I won’t hurt anymore so don’t worry.” He pats Kyungsoo’s shoulder. He stands up and lies down on his futon, facing away from Kyungsoo.

 

 

Kyungsoo froze on his spot. He did it again. Kai is being nice. Kyungsoo doesn’t know how to describe perfectly how he feels after that but the best ones he can come up with are warm and soft. Kai’s word gave him sense of protection and assurance.

 

 

Maybe he should stop fearing Kai and start having faith on him. And stop seeing him a merciless monster.  Kyungsoo wants to believe Kai is still has human side. The horrifying experiences and the painful scars just made him think he is a monster but he is not.

 

 

He now wonders where will be their next destination.

 

 

 

A/N: Sorry for the late update TT TT. Looks like KaiSoo will be on the run again. If there is any grammar or spelling mistake I am so sorry. OTL I hope you guys enjoy reading! I'm off to write for ym other stories~! ^^