fin

to find comforts in constants

He’s wasn't sure whether to find it sweet or comical, the way the six boys had crammed themselves onto the couch across from him. With the way their bodies were pressed tightly together (the odd limb hanging off an armrest, another angled uncomfortably due to the sheer lack of space), it almost seemed like their statement of solidarity in the face of uncertainty.

 

He noted wryly that their faces were nearly synchronized in expression, eyes wide and mouths slightly agape. Ducking his head to avoid their blatant gaping, he instead focused on the hand that rested lightly on his kneecap.

 

He was sure it was meant to be a comfort of sorts, a physical declaration of support, and managed to convince himself that this was his only reason to tolerate the touch. But he could also feel the involuntary tremors that travelled down the other’s arm to shudder, ever so slightly, in the fingers radiating warmth through the denim of his jeans. They betrayed a nervousness that he found strangely becoming of in the young man, whose profile he slowly traced upwards with his eyes. He stopped when his gaze rested on the other's face, one that sent electric shivers down his spine to see from this angle.

 

Lee Hyunsoo sighed for the nth time that night. Kim Myungsoo had just finished introducing him to the other members of Infinite, his dimply smile faltering slightly in the dead silence that ensued.

 

 

One of them cleared his throat slightly, drawing Hyunsoo’s attention back to him. Kim Sunggyu; their leader, if he remembered correctly. Always so many damn names to remember in these idol groups, and he'd struggled to remember all of Dasom's favourites even in the best of times.

 

 

The older man had his lips set tightly in a line, obviously trying to fully process the situation before speaking. Their eyes met, and Hyunsoo couldn't help the dry chuckle that escaped him.

 

“What is it?” Sunggyu's brows furrowed slightly, the only humour he could derive from the situation being the sheer absurdity of it, and another one of the boys (Hyunsoo was sure his name had a ‘woo’ in it somewhere) squeezed his shoulder reassuringly.

 

“It’s nothing really.” Hyunsoo’s eyes crinkled slightly in his mirth, and Sunggyu softened to see how similar this expression was to those of Myungsoo’s. “I was just thinking to myself that it seems like some things stay the same, no matter what strange dimension you get thrown into.” Hyunsoo’s eyes took on a dullness then, as if suddenly rememberinh the gravity of the situation, and he stopped to worry at his bottom lip with his teeth.

 

“Well, the only thing we can really do right now is talk things out... Maybe talking about similarities could be a start?” Myungsoo gave his knee a gentle squeeze, urging him to continue.

 

“Okay, well...” Hyunsoo paused again, as if trying to find the best way to articulate his thoughts, before giving a casual shrug of his shoulders.

 

Sunggyu shot him a smile that he hoped was reassuring, shifting his body forward ever so slightly to show his anticipation of the next words. The rest of the boys remained quiet, exchanging curious glances.

 

“What is it with leaders and their fixations with eyeliner?” Hyunsoo smirked as Sunggyu’s head hit the back of the couch with a dull thud, the rest of the band collapsing into fits of unconcealed glee at his words.

 

“This is great, just great.” Sunggyu muttered as he massaged his temples, watching from the corner of his eye as Sungyeol and Hoya rushed forward to give Hyunsoo enthusiastic high fives and claps on the back.  He let out a long suffering sigh, glad at least that the tension in the room had dissolved. They’d piece together the story, eventually.

 

- - - - - - -

This whole thing stemmed out of Byunghee and Sunggyu’s mutual love of eyeliner. I regret nothing!!!! (Except that there is really no plot to this, I’m sorry for making you suffer through it hahahaha)