PROMISE

Stop Playing With My Heart

 

Victoria was waiting for his older brother at the porch of their house. It was almost 7:00 P.M and his oppa was still not home. She had finished all the dishes her oppa liked, including his oppa’s favorite, Sweet and Sour Pork. She was now sleepy.

“I shouldn’t sleep. Not until oppa arrives from work. Oh! I’ll just listen to the album I bought today” she thought.

She got up from the chair and entered her room. Her room was pink from chairs, to the bed, to her laptop, her table wherever you want to look at its pink. It was filled with posters of f”(x), BEST, 12PM and other K-pop artist she liked. She went to her bag which rested at the table. She extracted the album and went out of the room. After she got the album, she saw the picture of her parents on her desk.  And she almost cried.

Her parents died in a shipwreck when they were on a business tour around the world. She was eleven back then. She still remembers it. She was sleeping, then. When she woke up all the people in the ship were panicking. Others were running around, others were calling out to their families. People were rushing towards the highest part of the ship. People were being pulled into the lifeboats the ship had. First were the children. She was included in that group. But after her boat reached the water, the ship sank rapidly along with her parents. She felt like the world torn apart. She saw the doom of the people, including her parents. The trauma still remains in her but she tries not to show it. The event happened exactly 7 years past. She wanted to forget the whole incident but it was still haunting her. She wanted to forget everything, even her first crush.

She met him on the highest deck of the ship of the cruise ship. She was admiring the sea when she noticed that Ki was taking glimpse of her.  She was reluctant to talk to him, but KI approached her first. They talked and talked until sunset settled in. He was her first crush, or love, even. She was happy by his side. But the trauma erased the memory of him partially. She didn’t remember even a single detail of Ki. All that what’s left with her was the horror of seeing her parents die, along with many others. After that tragedy, she and her brother lived with his loving uncle who took care of them until her oppa finished school and found work to sustain their lifestyle.

Before she could cry, she went out of the room and opened the album’s seal happily.

“I should forget that. In the meantime, I can’t believe it. I got the album from that dork.” admiring the album.

She opened the cover, got the CD out and played it using the DVD player in the living room.

She enjoyed the melody of f”(x)’s new single Cold Winter. She liked its tune and was soothing to her human ears. She was enjoying the song when her brother’s car honked.

“Oh! Oppa’s here!”

She immediately lit the candles standing on the cake she just baked for her oppa and checked the utensils if they were properly arranged on the table.

“Juri, noona! Oppa’s already here, please open the door for me. Thank you.”

She quickly turned the lights off. She positioned herself so that her brother will easily see her when she entered the door. The music from f”(x)’s album was still playing and it was perfect for the moment. She waited and waited.

Her oppa opened the door and turned the lights on.

“Saengil chukka hamnida, oppa!” She greeted.

Her oppa smiled and slowly approached her.

“Blowyour candles, oppa! I don’t know your exact age so I bought plain birthday candles. Hehe”

“Kamsahamnida, my little flower. You are still sentimental. You haven’t changed at all. Except that you are slowly turning into a full bloomed flower already. I wonder if boys are courting you now.”

“Oh! Oppa, DO. NOT. SAY. THAT. I will still be your little flower. Blow you candles already.”

Her oppa blew his candles and smiled.

“Come on, oppa.I cooked your favorite. I struggled finishing it so you should eat all of it.”

“Okay! Juri, noona! Come on join us. Victoria prepared much food. ”

The three of them talked and laughed until drowse had reached them. Victoria yawned.

“Come on, let’s send you to bed” Her oppa said accompanying to her bedroom.

Her oppa tucked her to bed.

“You sleep now, I know you had a lot of things that happened to you today. Victoria. I just want to let you know that whatever happens, I will be your oppa. I will never leave you hanging. EVER”

“Promise?”

“I promise you that. You sleep now, little flower, you still have school tomorrow.”

“And you have work tomorrow, too. You sleep now, too”

“I will. Good night” he kissed Victoria on the forehead and left the room.

Victoria satisfied of herself and her efforts thought of things before sleeping. Including Ki and what happened to his family. After their talk, he thought nothing but him but she knew that she and Ki were no longer for each other so better leave Ki in the dreams she never will achieve.