Chapter 3

*◞▌。HEAVEN SENT.

rd » C H A P T E R ! 


“HEY! Move, move, move, move, move, move, move, move, move!”

The students quickly began to give way as a flash of color was running at mach speed in the corridor.

Norin’s eyes narrowed into a determined stare as she neared the flight of stairs. Right when she reached the first step, she jumped up.

Divine providence!” she yelled out.

The students on the lower floor glanced up at the shout. The sun was bright in the window behind her, so they saw a silhouette of an angel descending upon them.

Norin landed on the floor with a thud and rolled a few times before standing up, hands in the air. “I have tasted the heavens!” The classmates around her began to clap. Norin grinned and bowed to them. “Thank you, thank you, mortals of my past self!”

“... You didn’t hurt yourself, did you?” a worried voice asked.

Norin placed her hands on her hips and laughed hautighly. “I am walking the path of the heavenly beings! I cannot g-g-g-g-” Her eyes widened and she suddenly stiffened up when she saw it was Ren that had asked her. “R-R-R-Ren? I-I’m f-f-f-f-fine!”

He saw the paper wings on her back and the wire halo above her head. “... Why did you do that anyway?” he asked instead.

“Y-Yun Ji s-s-s-said to conquer my fear of heights, I should try out overcoming smaller heights than keep going up! Yeah, that’s it! Haha, angel Yun Ji should know the basics of flying, so I’m just following her advice! And and and-”

“Slow down,” Ren said, an amused smile framing his face. “... And the halo and wings?”

Norin looked at the wall and counted for five seconds. “Imagine training! I had to prepare myself for ten minutes before doing that! Now, to jump off from something higher! Bye, Ren!” she said quickly, turning on her heel.

Ren’s eyes widened and he quickly grabbed her wrist. “Jump off something higher than an entire flight of stairs?!” He looked around, wondering where JR was to keep his friend sane and safe.

Norin looked down at his grip on her arm. “Y-Y-Y-Y-Yes! I-I-I ha-have... t-to le-le-level…” Her knees gave way and she fell to the floor, eyes still focused on her wrist that was slightly raised and still in his grip. “... u-up…”

He bent down so that they were eye level. “... You did hurt yourself, didn’t you?” he asked at her fallen form.

She backed away quickly until her back hit the wall of a classroom. “I-I-I’m good! R-Really! Y-Y-You should be g-g-g-going home now, right? Th-This is usually the time y-y-you meet with angel Yun Ji!”

Ren nodded and stood up. “... Please refrain from jumping off stairs-... Why, why do you know what time I usually meet up with Yun Ji?”

“I-I-I… uh...  is that a ballerina-wearing giraffe?!” she suddenly said, pointing behind him.

He didn’t fall for it. But she stood up and ran off anyway.

Right as Norin turned a corner, she bumped into another girl. “Sorry!” she said, getting up quickly and holding out her hand to… Her eyes widened. “Yun Ji~!” she said, pulling her up into a hug instead. “It’s been so long!” They had actually just met a few hours ago...

“Fellow Angel~! It has been awhile.” Yun Ji smiled to her, playing along. “How’s your mission going with the Golden Angel? Or wait, he isn’t Golden anymore, now is he? Hmmmmm…” She tapped a finger to her chin, trying to think of a new name for the former Golden Angel…”Ah I got it, the Chocolate Angel!” She grinned. “So how goes your mission with the Chocolate Angel, dear Norin?”

Norin crossed her arms and laughed. “I am trying my best to… to…” … She suddenly went to the wall beside them and slammed her head on it. “I’m sorry I’m such a failure! Do not address me as an angel when I am just a pale imitation!” She glanced at Yun Ji briefly. “... Is JR doing well?” she said, hoping to change the conversation.

“Ah~ JR!” She looked up to the ceiling with a dreamy look, practically glowing.

Norin followed her gaze. “... Has he passed away?”

“Heavens No~! Why would you say such a thing?” She frowned.

“But-But you looked up and I thought-” She made motions with her hands, trying to connect the dots. She groaned and placed her hands to her head. “My brain isn’t working at all today! First Ren now...!”

“Ren what?” She smiled, wondering if she was going to enlighten her a little more on her progress.

“Great Wall of China!” Norin yelled out. “There’s this impenetrable wall that goes beyond the eye can see! You can see the barrier from space! I cannot pass it!” She tugged lightly on her wings. “Nor can I fly over it!... No matter what I do…”

“Sure you can fly, fellow Angel~! Just believe in yourself!” Yun Ji took one of her hands into her’s and flapped her other arm, motioning her to fly with her. “Just spread your wings and fly~!”

Norin followed her action and whimpered. “So nice~! Angel Yun Jiiiii!” They ran in circles in the middle of the hallway flapping their arms.

“They should be over… here…” Ren stared at the two girls, JR beside him.

“... I saw nothing,” JR said, turning around to leave.

Ren’s eyes widened and he placed a hand on his shoulder to keep him from leaving. “Don’t leave me with them!”

“Look, the Chocolate Angel has graced us with his presence! Let’s fly around him, we’re sure to gain more power by just being near him!” Yun Ji flapped her way over to him, telling Norin to follow her.

But she didn’t. Norin gulped and felt the familiar hesitation again. She’d probably embarrass herself again.

“Did you eat sweets during class or something?” Ren grabbed Yun Ji by the collar, stopping her from circling him.

“Nope, but I might just eat you, oh great Chocolate Angel~!” She giggled.

“We’re going home.” He shook his head and began dragging her away.

“Wait! You’re not even going to let me say bye-” Her voice faded around the corner.

JR went over to Norin whose gaze was on the floor. He flicked at the halo atop her head. “... Not even going to go after him, huh?”

Her eyes widened and she looked up at him. “I.. I…”

JR smirked at her. “How are you going to beat the angel at this rate?”

“I-I don’t need to beat any angel!” she yelled. She quickly ran towards where Ren and Yun Ji headed. “RE~EN!” she shouted, causing the two to glance at her.

JR quickly followed after her and was now behind her. He saw her suddenly tense up and he sighed, pushing her lightly on the back in encouragement.

At the gesture, her resolve came back. “Ca-Ca-Can w-w-we go h-home together t-t-t-today?” she asked.

JR saw Ren glance briefly at Yun Ji. JR quickly spoke up, “I want to show Yun Ji something… So she’ll be coming with me today.”

“Let go, mighty Chocolate Angel, let this Angel soar on her own for once!” Yun Ji jumped up and down excitedly.

Ren frowned, not liking the idea at all. “But-”

JR suddenly stepped forward and smiled at Ren. “Don’t be so clingy, Ren. It’s not like you two are going out, right?”

“...” He was silent, the answer he wanted to give wasn’t true, and the true answer he couldn’t bring himself to say.

“We’re not!” Yun Ji shook her head.

Norin suddenly went behind JR and kicked him behind the knees. “What she said! Don’t go bullying Ren, you devil!”

JR winced and glared at her. “Why you…!” He clenched his fists and sighed, trying to calm himself. He took hold of Yun Ji’s wrist. “Let’s go.”

“Okay~!” Yun Ji squealed following him like the happiest fangirl on the planet.

Norin smiled as she saw the two leave, glad to see that at least Yun Ji would no doubt do well on her mission! But then she grimaced and glanced back at Ren.

… He hadn’t said yes to going home with her.

Seeing the sudden frown on her face, Ren sighed and smiled assuredly at her. “Lead the way…”

Norin’s eyes widened and she grinned. “Onward~!”


“How much can you eat?” JR asked as they looked down at the menu of the pizza shop they were at.

He wasn’t really sure where to take Yun Ji, as he had just said it in the heat of the moment to take her away from Ren. He had pointed at a random eatery, and was glad to see her suddenly brighten up at the suggestion.

“Enough to make a food baby.” She laughed.

“I wouldn’t want to father something like that,” he said, eyes still on the menu. “Feel free to pick anything. My treat.”

“Everything on the menu then, please.” She joked.

“Okay then.” He raised up his hand to call the waiter.

“Really?! You’re going to let me eat all of this?! What if I get fat?”

“That’s your problem, not mine.” He simply said.

“Ren would never let me eat the entire menu!” She stared at him wide eyed. “He won’t even let me eat two Choco Pies in one sitting… the jerk.”

“You seem to complain about him a lot… like an old married couple.” He laughed lightly.

“Well, we live together, what do you expect?” She crossed her arms, sitting back in her chair.

“You know, if I recall, all of our encounters you always mention the guy… are you sure you like him and not me?”

“Of course not, I like you~” She shook her head quickly. “He’s out of my league with being so perfect anyway!”

“And I’m not perfect in the slightest?” He raised a brow at her words. If she was so freely saying that Ren was out of her league… why was she helping out Norin who had even a worse chance?

“Uh... “ She hesitated… “You’re perfect too…”

“Then I must be out of your league, then?”

“Aish.” She lowered her head, feeling stupid for saying all of that now. “That so did not go how I thought it would…”

“Take a break, let’s order our food now.” He just gave a small smile to her.

After a short while of eating and managing to make small talk about other things besides the Chocolate Angel…

“Norin’s a really cute girl. She’s so fun to be around.” Yun Ji smiled taking a sip of her soda. “I wonder where she gets all her energy from?”

“Beats me.” He shrugged.

“It’s kinda hard to imagine you’re friends with her…”

“What makes you say that?”

“Well your personalities are kinda… complete opposites…” She laughed nervously.

JR smiled. “I guess… She keeps things fun for me. I keep her grounded to reality. Not such a bad contrast for a friendship.”

Yun Ji had noticed the way he smiled when she mentioned the energetic girl. She couldn’t help but get some sort of hint from that… Maybe he likes Norin? And for some reason… that didn’t bother her as much as she thought it would. Hmmm…? She thought, slightly confused.


“Did you make them yourself?” Ren asked, examining the pair of wings in his hands.

Norin only nodded meekly in reply, placing her halo in her bag.

“Impressive.”

She looked up at him with a huge grin. “R-Really?”

He smiled down at her. “Really… Though I don’t get all this angel stuff. Angel Yun Ji… Chocolate angel… And this…” He handed her back the paper wings.

“It’s because you two are like angels!” Norin gushed, eyes twinkling. “Heaven sent!” She blushed suddenly at her words. “... o-o-or something… l-like that…”

“Is that so…? Are you one as well?”

She shook her head. “I’m trying to be though! I’ve been hanging around a devil for so long that his aura has mingled with mine! It is taking time for purification!” she said, calming down as she recalled her friend.

Ren frowned, knowing the devil she was referring to. “... I’m surprised you’re friends with him.” JR was as level headed as Norin was scatterbrained.

Norin laughed. “JR was so shy back in first year! He got embarrassed so easily! It took a while before I could hang out with him without him running away!”

Ren stared blankly at her… Were they talking about the same person? “Really?”

“Yup! He always glared at me and there were days where he stopped talking to me entirely!" That was more like the JR Ren knew. "Ah~! He was so cute back then… even now, actually,” she said, laughing as she recalled her friend.

He laughed alongside her. “You’ve calmed down…”

Her eyes widened. “E-E-Eh?”

“We should talk about him more often,” he said. “It gets you to relax… You must like him a lot, huh?”

Norin nodded at his words. “I do! And he likes me loads too, actually! He’s just too shy to admit it!”

Ren sighed and nodded in agreement. “I know the feeling.”

“... You like angel Yun Ji lots too, huh?”

“Yes…”

“I do, too! And I-I…” She took in a deep breath. “I like you a lot, too!”

“Like you do angel Yun Ji?”

Norin stopped in her tracks, but Ren continued walking.

“No… I… I… I like you a lot more than that!” she exclaimed.

Ren turned around and looked at her. Her gaze was on the floor and her fists were tightly clenched… She had just confessed to him. Ren looked at the distance between them. “... I’m sorry, Norin…” He wasn’t asking for time to think things over, he clearly knew his feelings… and those feelings weren’t for her. “... I appreciate your feelings, but… I can’t return them. I… I like someone else.”

“... I… understand…” she mumbled.

He smiled at her. “But… thank you for liking me.”

She had mustered the courage to look up and see his expression. She gave a small smile back. “Thank you for letting me.” There was a brief silence between them until Norin suddenly grabbed her phone. “Pizza restaurant two blocks from the school!” she suddenly exclaimed.

Ren frowned. “What?”

“I have a GPS on him! So, go!” she said, pointing at the direction to the instructions she just gave. “You have an angel to rescue from a devil, don’t you?!”

Ren laughed and went down the path she was pointing at. “Thank you!” If a girl that couldn’t speak straight at all with him had managed to confess, then what was he hesitating for?!

“Thank me when you’ve saved her!” Norin yelled out, waving at him. Once he turned a corner and was out of sight, she let out a sigh. She went towards a streetlight nearby and leaned on it. She slid down to the floor and buried her face in her arms. “One, two, three…” she began counting.


“Let’s be honest, shall we?” JR suddenly spoke up once they were through eating.

“Honest?” Yun Ji looked over to him with a slightly confused face.

“Do you really like me?”

“I do.” She nodded with a small smile.

“But what if I told you I liked someone else? How would that make you feel?”

“But you don’t, right?”

“I do… I like Norin.” He confessed with a serious face. “I don’t like you, Yun Ji, I like Norin.” And just as he suspected, he didn’t see any traces of rejection on her face… as if his confession about liking someone else didn’t affect her like it normally would if someone truly liked someone.

“Oh, really?” She tilted her head. She felt confused right now… If I liked him like I say I do… then wouldn’t him liking Norin bother me? Maybe JR is right… I probably don’t like him like I thought I did…

“But she likes Ren…” She pointed out. “I liked you, but you like her, but she likes Ren… wait a minute, so then who likes me? No one! That’s not fair!” She pouted.

“You’re so slow!” He laughed. “Someone does like you, and that someone is currently heading over to our table.”

“The waiter?!” She whispered, remembering the handsome looking waiter who gave them their food.

“Yun Ji!” Ren called out as he approached their table.

“Ren? What are you doing here?” She turned to look up at him.

“I hate you!” He panted from all the running he did.

“What?!” She looked at him shocked. JR was surprised, but figured he was about to clear it up in a few seconds once he caught his breath.

“I’m too lazy to do it like the movies!” Ren pulled her up and crashed his lips against hers in a kiss. JR face palmed as other customers were looking their way curiously at the situation.

“What? I? You? ASLkjdgsdfg” Yun Ji stuttered.

“If kissing you wasn’t obvious, I love you Yun Ji!” Ren pinched her cheek. “Man you’re so slow.”

“This is so romantic,” JR spoke up sarcastically. “I’ll leave you two be, then.” He stood up.

Before JR could leave them, Ren placed a hand on his shoulder to stop him briefly. “... Norin…” he muttered, not willing to look at her best friend in the eyes.

He understood the expression right away. “On the path to her house?” Ren nodded. “Got it… as punishment for breaking her heart, I leave the bill to you.”

“Wait- What?!” But JR had already run off. Ren sighed and glanced back at Yun Ji who was still flustered and stuttering. He then looked down to the table to see a lot of empty dishes. “How much is all of this?!” He frowned.

Yun Ji finally snapped out of her trance. “For someone who just said they loved me, you’d think they wouldn’t care about the bill…” She pouted.

“If you love her, you’ll pay the bill!” A few people at another table chanted.

“Okay, okay, I got it!” He reassured the people at the table before pulling out his wallet. “You, you’re making this up to me at home.”

“I don’t wanna play dress up.” She frowned.

“That’s not what I meant.” He smirked. The same people from the other table cheered for Ren.

“What are they all so excited about?” Yun Ji looked at them confused.

“Nevermind them, let’s just go now.” He grabbed her hand. “I’m so getting laid tonight…” Ren mumbled quietly to himself. She overheard and shoved him away.

“You’re such a ert!” She laughed. They knew he was just joking… maybe.


“Norin!”

She didn’t look up at the sound of her name.

JR quickly bent down in front of her. He placed his hands on her shoulders. “Are you alright?”

“... six.” She looked up at him and grinned. “Six-hundred and seventy-six! Took you long enough!”

“What nonsense are you spouting out now?...” But then he frowned at her latter words. “Were you counting the time it took for me get here after you sent Ren off?”

She nodded. “And you said I couldn’t concentrate on one thing for more than five seconds I proved you-!”

JR cupped her cheeks with his hands, having her look up at him. There were no tear-stained cheeks. Her eyes were not red or puffy. She did not look sad at all. Norin was grinning up at him, as if nothing was wrong. She was acting like her usual stupid self - counting, really?! - right after she had been rejected.

Norin laughed and placed her hands over his own. “Were you worried about me?”

Yes!” he admitted, not bothering to hide it. “Ren rejected you, didn’t he? You confessed - impressive, by the way-”

“Thanks.”

“-and he rejected you! Why aren’t you…” That mischievous smile had not left her face… “You… You don’t actually like him, do you?”

“Oh, I do! He’s really good looking and really, really nice and he smells really good! And I really like liking him! The results were more than I expected!” she said with another laugh.

JR let go of her and glared, an inkling of her next words in the back of his mind. “... Results?”

She laughed. “You look absolutely adorable when you get jealous!” Norin ruffled his hair, the smile still reaching her eyes. “You even went blonde! You’re so precious!”

He swatted her hand away. “... You… This was all just a farce?”

She smirked.

“... You devil!”

Norin giggled and pinched his cheeks. “Only for you!” She stood up and stretched her arms. “Ah~! Today was a wonderful day! I’m sure Ren’s getting it on with Yun Ji right now-”

What?” he asked, standing up as well and following after his active friend.

“-and I even got to see your panicked and worried face!”

They continued walking for a few minutes in silence, until JR finally broke it. “... If you enjoy my troubled expression so much - you sadist - then why didn’t you keep up your liking Ren act?”

Norin twirled around to face him, a serious look on her face. “Because… it was getting really, really, really hard! Everytime you tried to hint at liking me… everytime you got mad when I gushed over Ren… That trouble looked on your face when you forced yourself to support me... You looked so cute that I wanted to kiss you! But I’m the girl, I just can’t waltz up and-”

JR walked towards her and gave her a soft kiss on the cheek.

Norin’s eyes widened, her face turning red. “... Eh?”

He pointed to the house at their side… her house. “We’re here. See you tomorrow,” he said, walking past her.

She quickly turned around. “What’s that?! Not even an actual kiss to the lips?!” she asked with a pout.

JR gave her a sideways glance. “Punishment for lying.”

Norin frowned and narrowed her eyes at him, the blush still evident on her face.

“... And I quite like your troubled expression too.”

“... Oh? What’s this? Trying to bring back your male dominance in the relationship, huh?”


JR placed a hand atop Norin’s head and forced her to bow. “Apologize!”

“I’m sorry!” she said, her bowed form in front of Yun Ji and Ren. “My act of liking you must’ve caused you some trouble!” She stood up suddenly. “But I-I-I-I w-w-was... re-really, good, right?” she said with a grin.

JR glared at her for bringing up her stuttering self again.

She laughed sheepishly in reply… but then she caught sight of the angels’ conjoined hands. “... But one of the results isn’t so bad, eh?” she noted with a small smile.

“I’m not complaining.” Ren smiled, clinging to Yun Ji’s side. “You did well, fellow Angel.”

JR scoffed at Ren’s term. “What angel…?” he muttered. Norin only grinned innocently back.

“What about you two?” Yun Ji asked, looking from JR to Norin.

Norin whimpered and went to hug Yun Ji. “He’s so mean now! He got so mad at me… He didn’t even make me lunch today!”

Ren laughed, seeing JR’s glare. “I’m sure it isn’t that bad-”

This time, she went to embrace Ren. “He is! Save me, Ren!”

“To think I liked a meanie like you~!” Yun Ji looked up to him with her hands on her hips.

JR stared down at her. “You didn’t, remember?”

Ren and Norin stilled… Neither of their partners were getting agitated at her hugging him. Norin sniffed and Ren hugged her back. “We’re so unloved!” Ren said. Norin nodded in agreement.

“I don’t fall for the same trick twice,” JR said, only sparing them a glance.

“I’m gonna buy her lunch.” Yun Ji crossed her arms. “I’m going to spoil her rotten…”

“Yes!” Norin said, letting go of Ren and grinning.

“What about me?!” Ren said with a pout.

“I spoiled you last night, didn’t I?”

“Oh my! Angel Yun Ji~!” Norin giggled.

JR gave Ren a thumbs up. “Good job.”

“What are you two even talking about?” Yun Ji asked looking from JR to Ren then back to JR. “Anyway, let’s go, Norin. Time to go spoil you rotten~!” She took Norin’s hand.

“Yay!” The girl cheered falling in step with her. “LIke rotten tomatoes and eggs?! Cool!”

“You see this?” Yun Ji held up her conjoined hand with the girl while slowly walking away from the two guys. “I’m stealing your girl~!” She grinned.

“So…” JR narrowed his eyes. Yun Ji then pulled Norin closer, wrapping an arm around her waist, just what was she doing?

“I’m taking her!” She walked a little faster. “Be a man and do something about it! You really going to let a GIRL take your girl from you!?” She laughed.

“Do something!” Ren shoved JR. “DO SOMETHING~!”

JR glared at his male friend. “Why don’t you do something? If you’re so troubled about it, you go and get your girlfriend!” he said, walking the opposite direction. She was obviously goading him. He had been tricked enough.

… But with his back still turned to them, he held up a small lunch box.

Norin’s eyes widened and she broke out of Yun Ji’s hold. “Sorry, angel Yun Ji!” She ran towards JR’s direction, waving at Yun Ji and Ren. “I’ll see you two later!” She went by his side and took hold of the offered food. She hugged it to her chest and laughed. “Too cool to chase after me, huh?”

“Not like you were running away,” he replied.

“Whoah~! Is your confidence in me that strong?” she asked playfully.

“Yes.”

Norin’s eyes widened in shock.

“Let’s go~!” Suddenly Yun Ji came up behind Norin and turned her around to follow her.

“Will you knock it off? Ren, control your girlfriend!” JR separated the two girls by grabbing onto Norin, pulling her to his chest.

“See~! Was that so hard?!” Yun Ji grinned at him. “You’re welcome, Norin.”

Norin grinned. “Thanks, Yun Ji! 100 Choco Pies on your desk Monday morning for sure~!”

JR flushed in embarrassment and let go of her, quickly walking away again.

“You’re acting cute again~!” Norin said, following after him. Once she caught up to him, she tiptoed and gave him a quick kiss to his cheek.

His eyes widened and he placed a hand to where she kissed. “Wh-What? I thought since you’re a girl, you won’t-”

“But you were so cute!” she gushed. “Besides, now we’re even!”

JR took hold of her arm and pulled her close, giving her a kiss to the lips. “Now I’m winning,” he whispered into her ear.

Still holding onto her hand, he continued on their path. Norin followed after him, speechless and face red.

Once the two were out of sight, Yun Ji sighed to herself with a smile as Ren came up behind her. “My life is complete.”

“It’s complete?”

“Yes… I’m getting 100 Choco Pies on Monday.”

“I hate Choco Pies.” He laughed.

“I also have you.” She turned around, smiling up at him. He smiled back and pulled her close, giving her a kiss to the lips.

“So…” he pulled away and looked deep into her eyes, “can I get laid tonight?”

“No.” She laughed.

“Why not?!” He pouted, “Am I not y enough for you or something?”

“You’re so funny.” She continued to laugh, he joined her.

“Okay… tomorrow, then.” He hugged her. She just hugged him back, they both knew he was joking… maybe.


» E N D !