Best song ever.

The promise of a song

- 10 years ago.

“I still remember it clearly.” My dad said, puffing on his big, bent pipe as a large cloud of smoke rolled out of his mouth as he looked down at me, sitting on the floor, waiting enthusiastically for him to tell the story. A smile appeared on my old man's face and he ruffled my medium length hair softly, making my bangs cover my eyes before he continued.


“It was a cold day in midwinter. A snowstorm had been raging since the night before and the shops, even the roads were closed. It was so bad that your grandparents wouldn't let me set one foot outside and they told me I had to stay in all day, but as soon as the storm calmed down and the blizzard turned into a slow and steady snowfall, I already sneaked out.” I giggled, making my dad pause and look at me with an eyebrow raised.

“So you were bad already then.” I nodded with a smirk on my face when my dad kicked me playfully in my side.

“Watch it.” He said with a smile, making it sound more like a challenge than a warning to me as he picked up where he left off.

“So I got out because I had 3 younger brothers and one younger sister who, when we were all at home, could be a bit of a pain in the ... Like you.” He winked at me, so I stuck out my tongue and let him continue.

“But that's why I sneaked out, that and I loved all the snow. I wanted to dive in the snow which came to my bellybutton when I stood, and make a snowman or something but I couldn't do that when I was that close to home because back in the day, I would still get a beating if they caught me, and I was already 18.” My dad took a break to relight his pipe and engulfed himself in smoke, so I pinched his legs in annoyance and wanted him to continue his story, which he did, after a low chuckle.

“I knew this place I used to go to in summer, a pond which was, what I already figured, frozen solid. When I got there however, I noticed someone was already there standing on the pond. I wanted to turn around and find another place since I thought it would be weird if an 18 year old suddenly started to make a snowman but something stopped me.
A voice...
The other person was a girl and she sang a song so beautifully as she thought she was alone.
It was her voice that got me hooked and the song that drew me in as it happened to be my favorite song. I fell in love with this girl at that instant, without even seeing her face and as I was approaching her and saw she was actually around my age and making a snowman by herself, I instantly helped her with it without thinking. Her song stopped and she looked at me in embarrassment. Of course, I didn't know what to say to this girl to make it less awkward, so I picked up the song where she left off and sang softly as I padded some snow on the snowman's bottom and shyly looked up where I saw her with the most beautiful smile I had ever seen. So Genuine and sweet that it made me stutter a bit in the song but then she proceeded to sing with me.
We actually sang the entire time we built that snowman. My dad looked up at the corridor with a glow and smiled at my mother who leaned against the door post and told him to hurry up because I had to go to bed before she left to hang the laundry.

”Apart from asking introducing questions of course.” He finished and puffed on his pipe as he looked at me.


“I don't get it.” I said, arms folded in each other.

“What is it you don't you get son?” My dad asked, pulling me on his lap.

“How she could marry such an ugly, weird man while she is so beautiful.” I smirked and wanted to run off but his one hand held both of my wrists as his other hand put his pipe away slowly as he spoke.

“I believe, I told you to watch it you little beast.” His hand made his way to my stomach where he started to tickle me until I begged for mercy.

~

The story about how he and mom met, stayed with me forever and I started to appreciate music on a whole other perspective. I was hardly seen without my headphones and since my taste in music was a bit incomprehensible for most people, people in college, like on high school, saw me as an outcast, but I didn't mind. I was fine being left by myself and listened to my music in peace during spare time, until one day. The day when we got a transfer student.


----

Oops, I was so caught up in this story that  I only just noticed I didn't even introduce the lead o.o 
Ah well, hope you guys like it ^^