end

Moonlight

Taehyung’s favorite time of day was night.

There were no loud noises, no bickering friends, no high expectations. Nothing but the sound of sleep and nearby traffic filled his mind. He liked to stay in bed and watch the dust particles that were visible in the stream of moonlight through the window float around carelessly. It was calm, almost serene.  

Sometimes he would wake up in the warm cocoon of blankets and Hoseok and let himself bask in the simple nothingness. Taehyung loved to cuddle up against the older man’s chest, pleased with the sound of steady heart beats and soft breaths.

In the warmth of his bed Taehyung didn’t need to smile. He didn’t need to impress anyone and no one wanted to impress him. Night was his time to get away from rush that was his life and collect his thoughts. To him, nighttime was well needed therapy after a long day. He found it soothing to be surrounded by darkness and the sounds of comfortable sleep.

Sometimes he would tune in on his bandmates and listen to them sleep. Namjoon was loud, heavy snores that echoed throughout the entire room. Taehyung was so used to the sound that it was uncomfortable to sleep without the noise present. Seokjin, on the other hand, rarely snored. He was mostly quiet, save a few shuffles of his sheets of pillows. His breathing, Taehyung had found out, was muffled by the stuffed animals he refused to remove from his bed.

Jimin was all pouts and whines in sleep. Taehyung found no difference between conscious and unconscious Jimin. Jungkook slept peacefully; no heavy breathing, no snoring, no movement. Once the youngest was out he slept like a rock. It was always Yoongi that took the longest to make his way to bed. He liked to work himself to the bone and often Taehyung would wake up to find his bed empty. However, when Taehyung did catch Yoongi the older man slept heavy and silent.

Hoseok’s sleeping patterns were almost memorized by Taehyung. He would start off in his own bed, but by the time Taehyung was awake the older man would be wrapped around him. Hoseok liked to sleep with Taehyung flush against him, their limbs tangled. More often than not Taehyung would find his head using Hoseok’s chest as a pillow, warm breath against the top of his head.

The first time Hoseok had kissed him it was dusk. Taehyung had awoken to a soft pinch on his cheek and found the older man grinning down at him. Even in the moonlight Hoseok was radiant. Taehyung didn’t care for an explanation; he simply lifted the covers and allowed Hoseok to wiggle underneath them. Hoseok’s feet were cold against his calves but Taehyung couldn’t muster enough energy to complain.

 They had a whispered conversation of meaningless things, content with just hearing one another speak. Hoseok ran his thumb along the smooth skin of Taehyung’s shoulder before he pressed his lips against it. Hoseok had glared defiantly at Taehyung before he brought their lips together in a warm, shallow kiss. Taehyung wasn’t sure what to make of it, but he knew he didn’t want to pull away.

After that initial night, Hoseok climbing in to Taehyung’s bed became a routine.

It was twilight when Hoseok had confessed. Their relationship was sweet and placid, existing only in the dark expanse of the night. Hoseok had pulled Taehyung from his bed and shoved a parka at him. Although half asleep, Taehyung willed himself to follow the determined steps of Hoseok out to the park near the dorm.

The park had been silent with nothing around to disturb them. Taehyung pressed his shoulder against Hoseok’s as they walked, still unsure of the situation but willing to play along. Hoseok had stopped him under a lamppost and kissed him gently, threading their hands together. By the time he had pulled away Taehyung was even more confused than before.

“I know I'm irresitable but if you brought me out here just to kiss me-”

“I love you.” Hoseok’s words had stunned him to silence, but his smile brought him back. Taehyung had laughed and laced his fingers behind the older man’s neck.

“I love you, too.”

Taehyung found it comfortable to be under Hoseok’s arm and just exist with his unrestrained thoughts. While he enjoyed the daytime, nothing soothed his mind as much as nighttime. He could just relax without the pressure of appearances and performances.

Taehyung loved the night because he could enjoy both the cool emptiness of the dark and the incredible warmth of Jung Hoseok.