Final

That's (Not) Love

"Minnie!!"

I turned around at the sound of my name, looking up from the book I had my nose buried into.  "Jungkook?" I called.

The said boy bounded in front of me and wrapped an arm around my shoulders.  He looked at the fine print that was still open in front of me.  "Still reading that book?" he eyed me and flashed a cheeky smile.

"It's very informative," I placed my bookmark into the middle and shut it.  "I'm naturally drawn to knowing about personalities.  Besides, it's better than thinking about that Geometry test yesterday and how we all failed it."

"Well since you're going there now, we're changing seats today actually," Jungkook said with a frown.  "I heard it from the first period class.  I just know that I'm not gonna get put in a good group."

"What do you mean?" I asked

"I mean that my team members probably won't be up to par with my standards," he answered stiffly.

If this was coming from a different person and he wasn't my best friend, I probably would have slapped him right across the face.  "That's not a very nice thing to say Jeon Jungkook," I tried not to laugh.

"It's true though," he smiled cheekily.

"But you don't go around saying it.  And you wonder why people don't like you," I lightheartedly pushed him away.  "Anyway, I'll see you in Global, I'll be late for Geo."

"Ara," he smiled and gave me a shoulder hug before going to English class.

I shook my head.  What am I going to do with that idiot? I asked myself and I walked through the door of my dreaded Geometry class.  Usually, I wouldn't say that about any math class, but this class is just too hard for me to handle.  Considering this was kind of a really prestigious school full of smart people, that's really saying something.

We couldn't sit down yet because the teacher had to put up the new seating chart.  The late bell finally rang and the chart was finally slapped down under the projector.  I hurriedly scanned the sheet for my name, which was upside down for the teacher's convenience in some way.  I found myself in the middle far left of the classroom against the wall.  Weaving my way through the crowd of students, I reached the far opposite end of where I was originally standing and sat down in the seat against the wall, since the seats are in pairs.  When I was settled in my seat, I finally had the mind to think about who I was going to be paired up with.  There really wasn't anyone in particular that I wanted since my close friends were in other periods.  And I hadn't had the common sense or the care to read the upside down name next to mine.

Not giving another thought to it, I took my homework out of my binder and started writing the heading in my notes since the Do Now assignment was already up.

The usual late student walked in quietly, hoping not to be noticed but unfortunately failing.

"Stop right there, Min Yoongi," the teacher looked up from her writing at her desk.  "You're late again."

"Yes, I know," he said boredly, slinging his backpack on one shoulder.  He scanned the room.

"Your seat is whichever one is left empty empty since you came late," the teacher said snarkily.

Well, that would be my partner then.

Yoongi came over to the pair of desks where I was sitting.  "Hey, MinHee," he greeted me with a smile as he sat down.

I mumbled back back a greeting in response just to be polite just so I wouldn't be forced into conversation with him.  We weren't enemies, it was more like I just didn't want to be associated with him.  Yoongi wasn't the school bad boy, more like the opposite.  He was one of the class clowns, the funny boys that always made class fun.  He rides into school on his skateboard some days and gets okay grades.  When he's late for school, he would run all the way from his house a few blocks up the hill and show up in his pajamas, the only thing he would have fixed properly being his hair.  So he was an okay guy to be around.

The reason why I would rather not want to socialize with him was because he was caught with drugs in school.  They were high doses of Adderall medication, which he supposedly used to concentrate and study better.  He was suspended and arrested for about a month.  In English class during a discussion, he had showed me that he had a whole handful of the tiny bright pink pills wrapped in a napkin that he carried around with him.

It's not that I was scared of him, I just don't feel comfortable being around people with drugs.  I don't think any differently of him; at least he wasn't smoking pot or sniffing , he was trying to deal with the stress of school like the rest of us.  He just went about it the wrong way.  But I still wouldn't trust him.  And honestly sometimes I found his antics kind of annoying, but not so much to not like him as a person.  He's not a bad guy, he just made bad decisions.

I just paid attention to my work and didn't pay him any mind.  I was quiet in class and just got by as one of the quiet nerd kids.  Every once in a while he would prod me and ask for help on a question, which I would help him with because I wasn't a rude person.  He didn't try making conversation with me, and I was thankful for that so it didn't seem awkward and I wasn't forced to speak.

"Hey, can you help me with this proof?" Yoongi nudged me again.

My train of thought for the problem I was working on got cut off.  I turned my head and pivoted my body towards his paper to see his work.  "What do you need help with?"

"How do you start it?  I don't see how you can just use this one given to prove that these two lines are parallel."

I leaned over a little closer to read his handwriting.  To be quite honest, I was stuck in the middle of the proof myself.  I still helped him start in the hopes of getting another head to work with.  Two heads are better than one when it comes to thinking after all.

As I was explaining to him what he had to do, his was slowly inching towards me, leaning slightly towards me.  I hadn't realized it until the sharp smell of his cologne hit me.  It just made you think "lady killer," which was ironic considering that no one in the entire school had a crush on him.  But it really didn't smell bad...

When I was done explaining to him, he retracted, as well as his scent, and I returned back to my own paper.  Every once in a while I looked over at his face.  It was actually quite cute to see him concentrate; his lips turned inwards as he bit them and his eyebrows scrunched together.  I shook my head and turned my attention back.

At the end of class, I turned back to him.  Instead of working on the proof, there was a small notebook, completely filled.  Some lines and words were scratched or crossed out messily, some lines moved with arrows.  As curious as I was, I was never one to pry so I continued packing away my stuff.

"Hey," Yoongi called back and pulled my shoulder gently.  "Thanks for the help.  I'm kind of a dunce when it comes to math."  He scratched the back of his jack sheepishly.

"No problem," I smiled slightly, feeling a little uncomfortable.

"Um..." I heard him mutter under his breath.

I switched the weight on my legs, wondering what he wants to say next.

"I'll see you tomorrow then?" he asked.

"Yeah, of course," I furrowed my brows in confusion, but still smiled nonetheless.  "See you Yoongi-"

He caught my arm gently again.  "It's Suga," he corrected gingerly.  "I'd prefer that you call me Suga."  He smiled softly.

I just nodded, bid him a quick goodbye, and walked out to English class next.  I had to calm the rising beat in my chest.

 

Later that day when I was on the subway going home, I was sitting in an empty train car, just the way I liked it.  At least until other people would come on.  Since the station I get on at was the first stop on the line, the train would wait for a little and would be empty when I get on.  Eventually, a couple, probably late teens or early twenties got on and looked at the map pinned on the wall.  I couldn't hear what they were talking about since I had my earbuds plugged into my ears, but I didn't care.  It was only until they started hugging and being touchy-feely that I became uncomfortable.  I honestly have no with public displays of affection, homoual or heteroual.  It just made me feel uncomfortable because it made me... jealous in a way.  I've never been in a relationship in my life.  I know what it feels like to have a crush and like someone, but before high school I never felt the desire to date, I even looked down on it.  I criticized people that dated in my middle school.  But now that I'm surrounded by people and growing up, I start feeling a little envious.  People in my grade date, they seem happy and cute together.  I see no problem with people dating in high school, it's a natural thing, so you would think that it's not something remotely surprising that I would feel like this.  But it is, because I've buried my nose in my studies for my entire life that I never gave a second thought to any social relations.

 

The next week was very...different.  Yoongi was getting...friendly with me.  Maybe too much for my comfort.  But was It really?  I mean, he would ask me for help in Geometry as he normally would, but...

"Hey, can I get a sip of that?" Yoongi asked one day.  He was referring to the water bottle that I was drinking out of.

I stopped what I was doing and nodded.  "Are you sick?"

"Nah," he shook his head and took the offered bottle out of my hands.  "But I'll air sip if you want me to."

"No it's alright," I assured him before turning back to my work.  I had no reason not to give it to him.  Little did I know that it would be a regular thing.  Every day he would ask me, eventually just taking it off my book bag hook in the middle of class and drinking from it without saying anything.

Sometimes I would see him in the hallway before class or during lunch periods.  Even then, he would greet me by taking my bottle and saying a quick "Hey" before walking wherever I was headed with me.

A few weeks went by.  It was 9th period, the last period of the day.  I was sitting in Chinese class, Jungkook sitting across from me.  Since the teacher was giving the lesson, we would talk and do the assigned homework early, keeping an ear out for what she was saying so that we could answer if she called on one of us.  Jungkook knew Chinese already because he was taught by his older brother's friend, SeokJin, so he helped me.

But I was kind of bothered at the moment because of what happened in the time between periods just now.

"What are you all pouty about?" Jungkook asked me.

"Yoongi took my water bottle and he didn't give it back," I sighed.

"Yoongi?" Jungkook asked in in a careful tone.  "As in Min Yoongi?"

"Yeah," I nodded.  "I let him drink out of it, but he just took it and ran with it and I don't even know where he is now!" I said exasperatedly.

"Tā zài zhèlǐ" Jungkook said.

"Shénme?" I asked puzzled.  At Jungkook’s gesture of pointing towards the door, I turned my head.  There Yoongi was, walking slowly past the door, drinking out of my water bottle I may add.  "Are you serious?" I deadpanned.

Yoongi made a motion for me to follow him.  I rolled my eyes, but I had no choice if I wanted to get my precious water bottle back.  "I'll be back soon, hopefully," I sighed towards Jungkook.  He nodded, his lips pressed tightly together.  After getting the attention of my teacher and asking to be excused, I went out of the classroom, looking for the culprit.  He was nowhere in sight.  I huffed and started walking up the hall, cursing him under my breath.

A hand tapped my shoulder.  I jumped and turned around.  "You scared me!" I whispered.

Yoongi just smiled crookedly at me.  He was still holding my bottle.  "Thanks for coming out with me," he thanked me.

"You’re welcome, now give that back," I frowned and lunged forward to take it back from him.  Too bad I'm so much shorter than him because he lifted his arm up only slightly and I was already unable to reach it.

He pushed my hand away and grabbed it into his.  I was caught off guard by this.  "Mwo-"

"Let's just walk for a minute," he tilted his head and smiled slightly.

"Ok...?" I agreed, a little hesitant.  It's not like I was missing anything important in class.  And I had to figure out a way to get that bottle out of his hand somehow.  But I was a little tingly at my clasped hand in his.

He didn't say anything, we just walked to the other side of the building.  It was kind of an awkward silence, but he didn't seem too bothered by it.  I had stopped asking where we were going since he wouldn't answer me anyway.

He stopped in front of the music room and turned to face me.  "I'm gonna go to class now," he announced, leaning into me.  "Thanks for walking with me."

My breath caught in my throat.  "Uh no problem...?"  I coughed.  "Now give that back."  I reached out to grab my bottle back.

Instead he pulled me into a hug.  I stopped breathing and froze.  I felt my heart palpitating from such close contact.  He pulled away after a minute and handed my water bottle back to me.  "See you in Geo tomorrow," he winked before entering the music room.

I stayed there for a few minutes, still trying to process.  Once I came to, I mechanically walked back to my Chinese class.  For the rest of the period, I was a bit out of it.  Not even Jungkook could get my attention.

Maybe...he likes me? I thought, a secret smile spreading across my face.

 

Yoongi eventually developed a habit of a lot of skinship.  He often rests his head on my shoulder during class, playing with my fingers, sitting closer to me, and holding my hand on the desk.  He would also purposely keep me from leaving Chinese class every day.  Every action that he did, I felt like my heart was going to jump out of my chest.  Albeit some of his antics were a little annoying, I put up with it because...well I'm not sure either...

"What is Darwin's theory of Survival of the Fittest?" the boy across from me asked out of the book he was holding.

"It was part of his evolution theory where he believed members of every species would compete for their needs, and the species that had the least suitable traits in that environment would die while those with the most suitable traits would live," I answered.

"Correct," he smiled, pushing the bag of popcorn in the middle of the table towards me.

I took a handful and stuffed them into my mouth.  After swallowing, I read a question to him.  "What is the order of the materials that carry a genetic code throughout the process of protein synthesis?"

"That's not fair!  I gave you an easy question!" he whined.

"This is an easy question babo," I chuckled.  "Just answer it!'

"Fine," he frowned.  "DNA, mRNA, tRNA.  Happy?"

"Was that so hard?" I teased.

"Just give me the popcorn," he grumbled, snatching the bag away from me and grabbing a handful.

I chuckled and shook my head at him before answering a question on my homework sheet.

Jungkook and I had a habit of coming to the school library to study and do homework during lunch breaks.  It was our way of spending time with each other between our busy and different class schedules.  Now that Finals were coming up, we had to study harder than before.

I suddenly felt something fly past my head.  I looked up with an impish smirk.  "You still have terrible aim."

Jungkook had a mirroring expression on his face as he ate his handful one kernel at a time.  "I don't know what you're talking about."

"You wanna play that now?" I threatened.  I saw a playful glint in his eyes and grabbed a handful from the bag.  "Geureom...shijak!"  I threw a few kernels at him and ducked when he threw some at me.  Of course, being in a library, it was hard for us to keep quiet.  We ended up under the desk on top of each other.  Our laughter subsided when the now-empty bag fell next to us.

"You owe me for that bag," he said, still laughing and pushed me off of him.

"It's just a few bucks, relax," I shrugged at him and sat back up in my chair.  "I wouldn't have made a big deal out of it if Suga did the same thing."

I saw Jungkook's lips set into a line as he just started writing his homework.

"I'd be used to it anyway since he takes everything from me anyway.  Not like it means anything.  I shouldn't be too overprotective before I even start dating him."

His pen froze in place.  "MinHee, are you an idiot?"  He looked at me sternly.

My heart fell for a moment.  I had just taken a hard blow.  "What do you mean?" I asked, clearly offended.  I knew that bringing up Suga was something that Jungkook didn't really like.  He would usually get a little cranky, become a little stiffer, but why did he have to say that to me?

"What the hell is wrong with you?" his gaze pierced into my eyes.  "He's playing you, and he's gonna end up abusing you if you date him!"

"He's just taking my water bottle, that's not abuse," I narrowed my eyes at him.  What's his problem?

"Have you forgotten that he was arrested for abusing Adderall?  Arrested!  And you're letting him be around you!"

"Because I like him!" I blurted out.  My eyes widened at what I had just admitted.  So that's why all this time I had let him get so close to me.  I didn't know anything about him, yet I decided to let him walk into my life.

Jungkook was just as taken back as I was.  His face softened and saddened.  "MinHee, he's dangerous to be around.  Why don't you trust me?  How can you be a sure that he won't do anything to you?"

"He...likes me..." I said softly.  "I'm sure he does."

"That's not love, MinHee, that's potential abuse," he said, packing his stuff up and swinging his bag over his shoulder.  "And you know what?  The next time he takes your water bottle, see if it really is teasing.  Because trust me, I don't need to see it to know it isn't."

"But what if you're just overreacting?" I asked silently since he was already out of sight.  I was so confused.  I didn't want to believe him, but he was my best friend and he was never wrong.  Still, he could just be jealous that I was getting farther in a relationship than he ever did.  He's always been friend zoned and rejected in his life.  But seeing his crestfallen face just now kind of hurt me.  I've never seen him with such sorrow in his eyes.  Normally he would be void of most emotion.  But now I know that it must have really hurt him.

I left the library after that.  I didn't see any sign of Jungkook anywhere.  I sighed.  He couldn't possibly be serious about this, right?  And I'm just overreacting?   It was just a lighthearted warning?  He was just looking after me.  He's like an overprotective brother, and he just wants to make sure I don't get hurt.  He's just making sure that Yoongi doesn't do anything.  But...Yoongi wouldn't...would he?

"Hey MinHee."

And speak of the devil, I looked to see Yoongi walking next to me.  I could already see my water bottle in his hand, showing that he had already swiped it without me noticing.   "What's up?"  He brought the bottle to his lips and started drinking it.

Normally, I would just ignore that he was drinking out of my bottle because he was thirsty and I wasn't going to drink it anyway.  And it wouldn't hurt if I helped him out, right?  It was completely innocent.  He was my friend and I should help him because he needed it and it was the right and friendly thing to do.  No harm done.

But after what Jungkook told me, I now see what he was talking about.  Yoongi was watching me.  From the outside he looked cute, adorable, innocent even.  But on the inside, almost hidden, there was something else.  He was...taunting.  It was almost as if he was daring me to say something, to prevent him from doing anything.  He was waiting for a sign of my disappointment or my disapproval.  It was a sign of dominance, dominance over me.  And I was to be his submissive.  It was more in a mocking way, not the normal master-maid type of dominant-submissive relationship.  He was actually laughing at me, behind those eyes, saying, "What are you gonna do about it?  You can't, because I have the power over you."

I shook my head.  That's taking it overboard, I thought.  That would never happen.  "Nothing, going to Chinese for my last period."

"I'll take you then," he nodded and lead the way.

I stared at him as he lead the way.  "Can I have my water back now?"

He looked at me in an almost shocked way.  Never once have I done this, and he saw it as a challenge to his dominance.  What, no, shut up, you’re getting paranoid now, I reasoned.

"Yeah, here," he responded, giving it back to me.  He seemed a little mechanical in his movement.  "You okay?  You don't look yourself."

"Hm?" I asked, a little shocked that he had detected that.  "Oh it's nothing.  Me and Jungkook just had a little argument."

"Jungkook's your best friend right?  You hang around each other often," he asked out of the blue.

"Yeah, he is," I asked, a little puzzled about why he would ask about it.  "We're really close, why do you ask?"

"No reason," he shook his head and ruffled my hair.  Restoring his lost dominance? I thought before once again throwing myself against the wall for thinking it.

 

After class one day, Yoongi came up to me.  "Hey, you wanna walk me back to my house?" he asked.

My first thought was No way in hell am I risking my life going up that road.  If you go down the road towards his house, it gets to a particularly...dangerous part of the neighborhood that I want to avoid.  Besides, the train I usually take home was in the other other direction towards the busier section and I don't want to walk all the way back.

Then I thought that it wouldn't hurt to just go part of the way.  Besides there's a cafe that I could grab some coffee or something from on the way just 2 blocks towards his place.  I could just turn right back around to catch my train.

"Well...I don't really want to go all the way there.  My parents expect me to be home the same time every day or they get suspicious," I tried to fabricate a lie.  "But I was gonna go that way to grab a latte, I'll go until there with you if you wanna talk?"

"Alright," he nodded and grabbed my hand, our fingers entwined.

My heartbeat pattern was interrupted and became irregular.  We started walking out of school towards his house.  I walked inside the cafe and waited on the line.  He started clenching his hand in mine, constantly reminding me that he was there next to me, making me blush.

But eventually he started getting awkward.  He wrapped an arm around my shoulder and clenched my other hand.  He seemed uneasy.  Before I could ask what was wrong, he said, "I'm sorry, I can't do this.  I have to go."

Confused, I just felt the emptiness when he retracted his hand and his warmth left me.  "Okay...see you tomorrow..." I muttered more to myself since he was gone.

Did I do something? I asked myself, feeling a little lonely now.  I just got my latte and left, feeling a little bit dejected.

 

The next day at school, I felt like I was alone.  I didn't see Yoongi as I normally did.  He didn't come to steal my water bottle at all today.  I kind of missed it, more like I was just expecting it all day.

More importantly, I missed Jungkook more.  He had been ignoring me since that day at the library.  I haven't heard him call me "Minnie" or jump out of my skin because he snuck up on me again.  He hasn't even been helping me in Chinese class anymore.  I haven't talked talked to him; he seems to be ignoring me.  Did he really take my relationship with Yoongi to heart?  Or did something happen in their past that made them despise one another?  Either way, I still miss his company.

Out of nowhere, Yoongi appears at the doorway to Chinese at the end of the day.  "Can we talk?" he asked.  There was something in his eyes today that I couldn't read.  Nonetheless, I agreed and nodded.  Not wasting any time, he grabbed my wrist and led - practically dragged actually - me out of school to a nearby alleyway.

Cornering me up against the wall, he took a deep breath.  "MinHee...I'm sorry that I left you yesterday.  It was kind of hard to be around you alone."  There was something about his vocal tone that made me feel a little intimidated.

"What do you mean?" I asked, a little scared.

"I was a little nervous," he confessed sincerely, pressing himself a little closer to me.

My heart was pounding, this time out of fear and uneasiness.  "Of?"

"I really like you MinHee," he finally said.  "Ever since I was put next to you in class, I've wanted you."

Wanted? I repeated in my head.  That's kind of a weird word to explain it.

"I sought to catch you, and I've seen that you've fallen for me too," he whispered.  His pale face was leaning closer to me.

"Y-Yes...?" I squeaked out, but suddenly I wasn't so sure.  Something just doesn't feel right anymore.  His choice of words was scaring me.

Yoongi said no more and just crushed his lips to mine.  At first I responded to it, his hands clasped the tops of my arms.  I was still a little hesitant.  Soon, his hands traveled down my arms and to my hips.  His fingers inched under the hem of my shirt, and that's when I froze under him.

My hands went down to clasp his and move them away.  "No, I don't want-"

Before I could finish, he slammed me back against that wall behind me.  "I've waited too long for this, and you're not getting out of it so easily," he snarled, his eyes getting darker and his tone becoming more menacing.

"But I don't want this!" I shouted at him bravely, only to have it all sapped out of me with one deathly stare.

"Don't lie to me, I know you do," he narrowed his eyes at me.  "Now be a good girl and enjoy what I'm about to do."

"No!"  I struggled to get out of his grip, but he slammed me into the wall again.

"Shut up and stop squirming," he warned sternly.  He reached for the button of my jeans and undid them, pulling the zipper down as well.

I didn't know what to do at this point.  I felt my heart pounding at the danger of the situation that I never thought I would be in.  I knew I had to think of something, but my mind was too scrambled to do even that.

A loud SMACK made me open my eyes that I didn't even know I had screwed shut.  Immediately Suga's hands were off of me.  Jungkook was standing there, his hair falling in front of his already dark eyes, making him look menacing.

"Well then, if it isn't Jeon Jungkook," Yoongi chuckled darkly, wiping the blood coming out from his lip.  "I knew there was more to you two that meets the eye."

"Leave."  That was the only syllable that left Jungkook's lips.  Only a single word that he uttered was filled with so much venom.  He was a different person now.

"LEAVE!" He then resorted to yelling since all Yoongi did was chuckle before.  Now Yoongi ran out with his face paler than snow with his tail between his legs.

Jungkook them turned to look at me, with kinder eyes this time.  He walked towards my frozen figure and knelt down next to me.  "You okay?" he asked in a voice as sweet as sugar.

I just nodded and looked down.

"He didn't hurt you, did he?" he asked further.

I shook my head and grabbed onto him.  Next thing I knew, my tears were starting to shed.  "Jungkook, I'm sorry," I started.  "You were right, I was wrong, terribly wrong.  Yoongi isn't someone to mess with.  I should have believed you, I'm sorry."

He simply lifted my head and wiped my tears.  "It's ok, I forgive you.  I already did actually.  I can't stay mad at you."

I looked up at him and sniffed.  I realized that Jungkook was always the one that was there for me.  I didn't need to worry about anyone else as long as I had him.  When he wasn't there, I missed him deeply.  Because I knew that I liked him.  All this time it took me to realize it.

A surge of confidence arose in me.  I whispered his name once more, placed one hand behind his head and the other on his arm, and slowly pulled him towards me.  He stared into my eyes and followed my motion.  He came close enough to cup one side of my face and closed his eyes.  I did the same as our lips met in the middle with a soft kiss.  At this one, sparks went off and I could feel his heart beating.  He pulled me closer by my waist and gave me one last kiss before he broke away and rested our foreheads together.  "I guess I don't have to confess?" he asked cutely.

I shook my head and laughed.  "I knew your heart, you didn't have to say anything."

"That's truly love," he kissed my nose.

And from there was when our love started and grew together.

 


A/N: Crappy ending, crappy story, no plot, not one of my best works.  Oh, and no I was never almost and I never got together with my best friend.  Me and "Suga" stopped talking for a while until he apologized and that was it.  He actually has a girlfriend now /nod nod/

Alrighty then, see you guys next story! Subscribe to my author profile if you want more BTS stories that are better than this one I promise!