The Clue

Still Complicated

I decided to continue. Let's see where this goes..kk

 

 

 

 

Kibum’s scurries throughout the house grabbing Hope’s shoes and snacks.

“Juice, medication, towels, toys..damn.” He curses and runs to the room grab Hope’s favourite stuffed panda. It will be a miracle if he doesn’t miss his train to Busan that evening. It’s Jinki’s fault really, for keeping him on the phone for so long the previous night. The other was angry for Kibum not telling him that he’ll be out of town for a week which means that Hope will be staying with Jinki for that time. Kibum’s friend has fallen ill and so he’s going to visit her.

“I’m not obligated to tell you my life story.”

“We have a child together, I’m entitled to your life stories.” Was Jinki’s response and it irked Kibum so much that he wished he could give him a piece of his mind but Hope was playing with her tab across from him in the bedroom.

“Ugh!” Kibum screams when he remembers the conversation. Hope follows excitedly behind him, loving every minute her squeaking purple slippers make contact with the hardwood floors.

Kibum catches a glimpse of the clock and sees that it’s 2.00pm.

“Darn.”

His train leaves at 3.30pm.

“Jinki better be on time.”

He gathers Hope’s travel bag as well as his and heads out to the car. The door is a tad difficult to open which has Kibum pulling on the handle. It forces open, knocking Hope’s items out of the bag which has him dropping to the floor like a hot mess. This is definitely one of the most stressful days he’s has since week.

 At 28, he’d never expect to have a child , endure co-parenting and still be miserably single.  Sometimes he wants to break down and cry his heart out, freely and unperturbed but he can’t. He has to be strong for Hope. She after all is his hope.

When he gets inside to ensure that he’s not leaving anything, he sees Hope sitting on the floor, her tiny back against the kitchen cupboards. The tablet is long forgotten by her side and a sad expression on her face.

“Sweetie.” Kibum approaches and lifts her to her feet. Sad little eyes look back at him. “What’s wrong?”

There’s a pause before a meek voice makes its way through her quivering lips.

“I don’t want to you to go.”

“Aww.” Kibum’s heart inflates with sorrow. “I don’t want to go either but my friend's is danger and I can help her by giving blood. I’ll only be gone for a couple days.”

Hope bites her bottom lips. Kibum brushes away the strands of hair falling into her eyes.

“Appa..” She starts and begins crying.

“Oh my baby.” He kisses her on the lips and pulls her small frame into a hug. This soothes her  a bit. It’s difficult , extremely devastating to be away from her. Once apart, it’s like a part of his world is missing. Since Hope’s birth, Kibum has a greater reason to live and to continue living and seeing her break down makes him crumble. “Daddy will take care of you.”

“I don’t want to go to .”

“What?”

Kibum draws back in an instant detects worry on his child’s face. He’s surprised. This is the first he’s noticed Hope's reluctance in going to see Jinki. She’s usually excited to see her dad because he lets her get away with a lot of things. Jinki’s quite the spoiler.

“You don’t want to see the others?” He asks slowly.

Hope shakes her head to the side which makes Kibum even more appalled.

“What about Taemin and Jae Hwa?” He detects a little jolt when he mentions Taemin’s name and it clicks.

“What about Daddy and Jae Hwa? You want to have ice cream with them , right?” Her lips curve upwards in a toothless smile as she nods slowly.

“Ok.” Kibum kisses her cheek and retrieves a napkin to wipe her face. “Ok.”

 

Soon they’re on their way to meet Jinki and Jae Hwa at the park. Kibum pulls up to see Jinki’s vehicle already there. A wave is shared between them before Jinki opens the door to Kibum’s back seat and dives in for a daughter that is ever so happy to see her dad. After Jinki tucks her in his car and retrieves her belongs Kibum beckons him aside.

“Is something going on?”

Jinki’s raising of an eyebrow gives away his cluelessness.

“Hope didn’t want to come over today and I think it’s because of Taemin.”

“Taemin? Are you sure?” Jinki asks, searching Kibum’s stern face for any clues as to where the conversation is headed. “Is she well?”

“I know my child, Jinki.” Kibum says quickly in a no-nonsense voice. “When I mentioned Taemin’s name she looked really scared. I don’t know what’s been happening but I have a feeling he’s being unfair to her and I don’t want my child feeling like that when she’s under your care. Do you understand?”

Jinki laughs in response but not mockingly. It’s an automatic response because he feels pressured all of a sudden and Kibum is looking mad as hell and he doesn’t really know why.

Kibum narrows his eyes and crosses his arms across his chest, totally not amused.

“If you don’t confront him, I will and I will not be a happy camper.”

Jinki nods.

“Are you bonding with her enough?” Kibum’s voice softens. “I want you to be spending time her. I want us to both be involved in her life.”

“I do.   I only have her on weekends so I use the time wisely. I’ll talk to Taemin about..the situation.”

“Thank you.”

Jinki smiles and his eyes crinkle in response.

“Well I’ll get going or I’ll miss my train.”

Jinki nods and Kibum heads over to the driving seat after he gives Hope one last kiss and smoothes her hair down.

“Kibum..”

The younger turns at the calling of his name.

“..you look great. Safe travel.”

Kibum chuckles. “You don’t look bad yourself and travel safely as well.”

They leave in opposite directions.