Change of Perspective

First Hello
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Nichkhun looked up from his drink and turned to survey the bar. It was a weeknight so the high end place was almost empty, but then again it was still early. He doesn’t really frequent places such as this, in fact he is barely seen out since he is almost married to his work.

He sighs, being the second born son to a wealthy family; he thought that he would have it easy. He had an older brother who was the anointed heir to the family empire so he spent his youth being exactly what’s expected of him, he had all the fun he could get and he thought nothing will ever change and he loved it. But alas it was not to be. His brother decided he didn’t want to be a CEO and went on to be a surgeon instead.

His parents weren’t pleased with Nichan’s decision but they couldn’t force him even when they threatened him of being disowned.

So because of that, all eyes got trained on him. All the hopes and dreams of his parents for the company became his responsibility, the family business suddenly became his birthright; everything became his the night his brother left their home.

Being an obedient son, he did all of what they expect him to do. No one can ever say that he was not capable of being the next head of a corporation spanning three continents, he always delivered, but not before incurring a reputation of being a cold and uncaring man.

His father is very proud of him that has always been voiced out but instead of making him happy the praise added to the pressure of being and staying to be the best.

He hates to disappoint.

His employees all know of his temperament, he doesn’t allow mistakes and you only get one chance before you are showed the door for incompetence. He is ruthless when it comes to business deals; he doesn’t care about whom will get affected for as long as he gets what he wants. For him nothing is sacred when it comes to business, everything is a transaction, nothing is sentimental.

 

So today when he aggressively took over one of his friends’ company, he thought he did well. He only thought of it as a day well spent. He wasn’t expecting to be confronted by his friend at the conference room and be called a heartless son of a b*tch.

When Junho angrily charged at him and attempted to punch him in the face he was surprised. When his men dragged the man that he spent years having fun with together and promised to have each other’s back screaming that he was the devil’s son and that he was the worst person in the world, he was at loss.  

He drove around the city for a while after he left the building and found himself seated in the bar, nursing a drink. He’d turn off his phone; he wanted to be left alone. He chose this particular establishment because none of his friends know of it.

He was seated at one dark corner, trying to come to terms of what he had become. He can’t find fault in his methods of handling his obligations as the son and the heir. He looks around the space to find people relaxing and sharing hushed conversations punctuated with smiles or laughter once in a while.

He called for another drink and the man behind the bar nods and does his request. The bartender placed another shot of his preferred drink in front of him. He saw the man smile when someone called him, a female voice drifted to his ear.

“Hi oppa!”

Dimples appeared on the man’s cheek. “Hi Vic! You’re back again?” brows shot up.

Nichkhun saw the woman lean on the bar and said something to the bartender that made the man laugh out loud.

 

Leeteuk shakes his head with resignation, “I have to see that work of yours, you have been in here more frequently than before.” He pours her drink and places it in front of her. “Oh before you go to your spot, I have something for you, it’s a parcel from Luna.” He signaled her to stay put and she laughs and watched him disappear behind a door.

Nichkhun saw her elegantly fold herself on the bar stool and played with the straw of her drink, she turns and looks around and collided eyes with him. He nods at her and she does the same and raised her glass to him. She turns back as the bartender approached.

Leeteuk handed Victoria a small package. “Here, it arrived yesterday. Good thing I brought it with me, I wasn’t sure you were coming but I figured I can just keep it in the office for you.”

Victoria perused the box and smiles, “Thank you oppa!” She picks up her drink, “I’m off to my spot now.” Leeteuk nods, she stands up and walks to the area at back and sits on a table at the very corner, she was almost swallowed in the dark and disappeared the moment she leaned back.

 

Nichkhun watched her for a while, he thought she was waiting for someone in particular but saw that she was just sitting there, her drink left untouched. Curiosity got the better of him and finally asked the man who he heard was called Leeteuk about her.

The man stared at him for a while after he asked about her like he was sizing him up. He apparently passed inspection because he got an answer.

“That’s Victoria, she is a writer. I don’t know why she does that, she comes here and sits on that corner for a few hours before she leaves and go home. She is a friend of my sister, I encourage her to come here instead of other places that way I am assured that she is safe.”

Nichkhun nods he looks at Leeteuk, “I am just curious, can I go and ask her a few things?”

Again the man paused, as if trying to come up with a decision, he nods. “Alright, go on ahead.”

Nichkhun stood up and walks toward her. She didn’t see him approach at first; she was watching two women who were immersed in conversation a few tables down. When she looked up he was almost by her table. He stops and smiles.

“Hi.”

She looks at him, “Hello.”

“Will it be alright if I join you? Your friend,” he pointed towards Leeteuk, “said that I could ask you a few of questions.”

She was looking up at him and then moved her eyes towards Leeteuk who nodded. She pointed at the spot next to her in the banquette.

“Sure, have a seat.” she moves to make room for him. When he got settled he turns toward her. He had to remember how to breathe because she just robbed him of air when she s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter