Promise

I’ll Take Away Your Pain, If You Take Away Mine

Our argument was getting louder and louder, the voices echoing throughout the empty house. “That! That’s what I mean!” I yell looking at his phone light up once again. “I’m sick and tired of you always accusing me!” He yells back just as loud.

Unable to play coy any longer, I screech out, “YOU’RE LYING TO ME.” My face hot as I sob. Though it may seem that I was over reacting, I wasn’t. “I’m sick and tired of your bull!” He growled at me, his expression getting angrier by the second.

I never wanted it to go here, nor did I want it to escalate to this magnitude. All I wanted was the truth; never did I expect him to lie to me face. “What bull…?” I ask, my sob slowly fading. “This. Don’t act all innocent all the sudden.” He spat.

My eyes grew big, appalled at what he had just said to me. “ME ACTING INNOCENT. I SAW YOU TWO. I SPOKE TO HER.” I finally said. His expression suddenly turning pale, after I revealed what I really knew.

“I don’t… I don’t know what you’re talking about.” He stumbled. “You know I love you. You mistook me for someone else.” He continued, with his lies.

I sat down on the couch and covered my face with my hands. We are both lucky his parents weren’t home yet. “You’re telling me that it wasn’t you and her I saw at Starbucks holding hands? Or at the fact that she has a boyfriend that has the same first and last name as you?” I ask him, tears uncontrollably flowing down my face.

“You really want me to believe that you love me?” I sobbed, my eyes blurring. Defeated, he sat on the couch across from me. “I… I just…”

Letting out a sigh, I repeat what he said in a whisper, “You… You just what?” I look across from me, his eyes looking at the ground. “Don’t talk to me. Don’t look for me. Don’t ask for me.” I tell him getting up from the couch.

I grab my purse and jacket, as I head toward the door. “We are officially broken up, not just because you cheated on me… but also because you lied to me.” The look on his face was full of guilt and regret as I shut the door behind me.

Because the cold air was biting my face wet with tears, I quickly jog to my car. I turn on the engine and place my head on the steering wheel, not ready to move quite yet.

A sudden knock on my windshield caused me to jump. A man around my age was standing there, his eyes green eyes reflecting the small amount of sunlight that was present on the cold autumn day.

I roll down my windows to hear what he had to say. “I think you dropped this.” The bracelet my now ex gave me lay on his palm. “You can throw that away,” I sigh unable to stomach the sight of it.

His eyebrows furrow together in confusion, “This looks kind of expensive…” I roll my eyes, my patience all gone. “Look I don’t want-“ His smile stops me from finishing my sentence.

“Here.” He says handing me a leather bracelet with a name etched into it. Taking it I read, “Anthony.”

“Yeah, my ex made that for me a long time ago… I got so used to wearing it, so I kept it.” He said, almost happily.

“I’m going to guess that your ex boyfriend gave you this?” He asks, dangling the bracelet with two fingers. “Yeah…” I nod.

“Keep my leather bracelet and I’ll keep yours…” He says, his voice sweet. A sheepish smile forms on his face, “Come by my house sometime, it’s the weird green colored one over there.” He points.

“I promise to take away your pain, if you promise to take away mine.” He says before jogging away from my car, allowing me to pull out of my parking spot. He waves at me as I drive away.

The next day I found myself walking toward his house, seeking comfort. And there he was sitting in from his front door. His face lit up when he saw me.

He with a smile he says, “You’re here.”

 

 

**I hoped you liked this Oneshot! Everyone has somebody for them, you just have to be will to meet them.