Final

Nobody's Princess

“Come on Hyukkie! Minnie says he finally got Kyunnie to play dress up!” Donghae shouted, small hands pulling roughly on his best friend’s arm without thought if the discomfort it might cause him. Some things were just really important!

“I hope he’s wearing a dress,” Hyukjae sniggered, nearly tripping over himself as they ran out the front door and over two houses to find Sungmin.

“Does Minnie have those?” Donghae stopped dead in his tracks, and Hyukjae almost knocked him over in his haste to stop.

“Dunno. But if anyone has one, it would be Minnie,” Hyukjae added with a little nod, still grinning at the thought of Kyuhyun in a dress.

His happy thoughts were interrupted however, when a certain petite male came running out of the house they had stopped in front of, wailing like a newborn and holding on to the top of his head. It was only when he collided with Donghae that Hyukjae realized that he had a ponytail on the top of his head that had pulled out almost completely.

“What happened?” Donghae was the first to speak, seemingly unaffected by the tears and snot on the front of his shirt where Sungmin had decided to bury his face. “I thought you were playing dress up with Kyu.”

After a few more moments of intense sobbing, the smaller boy finally wiped his face on his sleeve and calmed down enough to talk.

“We were. But Kyunnie got mad at me and pulled my hair and stole my favorite bunny clip that I got for my birthday!” Sungmin sniffled, glancing back at the door warily. You never could tell what Kyuhyun was planning, after all. Just that morning, Sungmin had his crayons thrown at him because he hadn’t drawn a ‘Zerg’ right; whatever that was. Of course, Kyuhyun had apologized and gave him a piece of the special candy he got from his grandma, but Sungmin wasn’t sure he forgave him anymore.

It would take a lot more than candy this time.

Hyukjae wasn’t sure what Donghae had said to calm the older boy down, but after a few minutes, the three of them were on their way inside. He definitely wasn’t jealous of the way that Donghae had his arm around Sungmin.

Not jealous at all.

“Hyukkie, Minnie is gonna be our princess now,” Donghae informed him, causing both of the other boys to give him a strange look.

“I’m a boy, Hae!” Sungmin shouted, crossing his arms over his chest and giving up the fight with his dying ponytail. “I don’t wanna be a princess! Princesses wear dresses and sleep on a billion mattresses. I could never climb that high!”

Apparently someone had read him The Princess and the Pea recently.

“You don’t have to be a real princess! Kyunnie will get jealous and want to be your prince!” Donghae clearly didn’t understand why Sungmin and Hyukjae looked so confused. “He’ll sweep your feet and ride into the sunset!”

“Hae, I don’t think you’re saying it right,” Hyukjae said with a sigh, deciding to help Sungmin get the tie out of his hair when he realized he was never going to get it out himself.

“Minnie isn’t your princess!” Kyuhyun shouted, emerging from the kitchen with a cookie and something that looked suspiciously like Sungmin’s favorite hair accessory.

“I am now! You’re too mean to be a prince!” Apparently seeing Kyuhyun was enough to change Sungmin’s mind about the whole thing.

“Yeah! Princes don’t pull hair. They open doors and uh… Rescue princesses from towers.” Hyukjae was never one to pass up an opportunity to pick on Kyuhyun.

“I… I’m sorry, Minnie… hyung.” Kyuhyun mumbled, the last word barely audible. Sungmin simply huffed, crossing his arms over his chest again and watching the youngest boy’s face turn a nice shade of pink. “I don’t try to be mean to you… it just kinda happens. I got a cookie from Wookie-hyung for you.”

Kyuhyun wasn’t going to tell him that it had been a bribe to keep quiet when he found his older brother shirtless and kissing some weird guy with shaggy hair.

“I don’t care.” Sungmin replied angrily, doing his best to look menacing. Whenever he forgave Kyuhyun, he just found another way to tease or hurt him.

“I promise I won’t be mean to you again,” Kyuhyun said softly, stepping closer to sungmin, hoping the other boys wouldn’t hear when he leaned in to whisper to Sungmin. “So will you please be my princess?”

Both Donghae and Hyukjae could only stare, mouths agape as Kyuhyun held out the cookie and kept his eyes on the floor. They were sure they had never seen a person’s face turn that shade of pink before.

“No, I don’t wanna be a princess.” Sungmin, said stubbornly, stomping his foot and earning giggles from Hyukjae. Hyukjae, on the other hand, earned an elbow in the ribs from Donghae.

“B-but…” Kyuhyun looked crestfallen and utterly defeated. Minnie was always so nice and forgave him no matter how much of a brat he was being. He never thought his favorite person would turn him away, so he was at a loss. “W-will you be my bride then?”

“I said I don’t wanna be a girl!” Sungmin shouted in response, fully turning away from Kyuhyun. Just because he liked pink and people said he was pretty didn’t mean that he wanted to wear a dress or be a girl.

Donghae could sense that things were only going to get worse, so he quickly ran over to Kyuhyun while Hyukjae stood there dumbfounded when the youngest boy ran out of the room for a short while. Who would have thought that their nicest Hyung would finally stay angry at Kyuhyun?

“Minnie, I think you should listen to Kyunnie.” Donghae said when Kyuhyun returned, tugging on the hem of Sungmin’s shirt.

Sungmin sighed and turned around, making sure to keep that angry look on his face. At least until he noticed what Kyuhyun was holding out to him. In the palm of his hand was a small velvet box that was the same kind Sungmin’s dad gave his mom when she was angry. Those boxes always had something really good inside, if her reaction was any indication.

“Omma helped me pick it out. I was gonna give it to you for Valentine’s, but um.” Kyuhyun babbled, ears turning just as red as the rest of his face. “I know you don’t wanna be a girl, but I really, really wanna marry you when we get big enough, Minnie.”

That certainly wasn’t what Sungmin was expecting, and he was rendered just as speechless as a certain monkey-like boy. Before he knew it, Kyuhyun found his arms full of the same boy that had been angry with him moments before.

“I’ll only marry you if you promise not to pull my hair or scribble on my drawings.” Sungmin replied, pulling back to take the little box and open it. Inside was a necklace with a little pink rabbit charm on it, and Sungmin couldn’t help but think that Kyuhyun knew him better than he had thought. Hyukjae covered his ears when Sungmin squealed as Kyuhyun slipped it over his head.

“Kyu and Minnie, sittin’ in a tree!” Hyukjae sang, only to be joined by Donghae shortly after, “K-I-S-S-I-N-G!”

“Shut up you stupid monkey! I saw you kiss that fish on Monday behind the slide at school!” Kyuhyun yelled, hoping to distract from his burning face and ears.

“T-that was different!” Hyukjae stuttered, eyes wide and cheeks quickly starting to match the color of Kyuhyun’s.

“Was not! You do it all the time when you think people aren’t looking!”

“No we don’t!” Hyukjae was having a hard time trying to deny it when Donghae started blushing as well. Everyone knew it was true, but it was still embarrassing to be called out like that.

“But kissing Hyukkie is fun! Omma and Appa kiss all the time. You’re supposed to kiss people you love.” Donghae defended, seeing no reason for all the yelling.

Nobody could find an argument against that. Kyuhyun was especially quiet, but that probably had something to do with the fact that Sungmin’s hands were on both of his cheeks while he pressed their lips together.

You were supposed to kiss people you love, right?