A New Life

Emotions [HIATUS]

Hello~ I'm a bit later than I'd hoped with this chapter... Oh well. Did everyone have a good holiday? Today was my first day of classes for the new semester... I'm so tired...


 

When Sun awoke, the car was no longer moving. Late afternoon sunlight streamed through the car window and she blinked rapidly, attempting to gather her surroundings. In front of her stood an enormous Korean-style house. Behind it, the tree-covered tops of mountains and hills broke the skyline. She turned her head to find a pair of unblinking neon green eyes focused on her.

 

“We’re here,” stated Ken.

 

“Obviously,” replied Sun, heaving herself out of the seat and stretching her arms. The rest of the robots began taking her bags out of the trunk. She used the opportunity to take in her surroundings. Just ahead of her were the gates to an old-fashioned Korean style home perched on top of a small hill. Behind it, mountains rose and fell, and the whole scene looked like a painting. She turned around to see small streets with other Korean homes lining them. A few dogs puttered about and some curious children and elderly folks were peeking out at the newcomers. Sun rubbed the back of her neck self-consciously and turned her attention back to her robots.

 

They had finished unloading the car and were staring at her like soldiers waiting for orders. She coughed and motioned toward the house on the hill. “This is ours?”    

 

Hongbin nodded and Sun started walking up to the house. She was surprised to find the gates unlocked and pushed them open to fully reveal the house. She took her shoes off and opened the door. The house was simply furnished and clean except for a fine layer of dust from lack of use. A faint smell of spices and old wood greeted her nose as she inhaled deeply. This was her new home. She was a hunted woman, her only protection six robots her father made for her.

 

Suddenly Sun felt exhausted, despite her earlier nap. A cold but gentle hand reminded her of reality and she turned her head and faced N, who looked about as concerned as an emotionless robot could. “Are you feeling okay?” he asked.

 

She nodded and gave him a small smile. “I’ll be fine.” She stepped over the threshold and the lights.

 

After locating her room and unpacking some of her clothes and other belongings, Sun explored the rest of the house. She found that it was larger than she first thought. The kitchen was quite spacious, and there were a couple spare rooms for her to use as she pleased. All in all, the house was beautiful and she wondered why her father hadn’t spoken of it before.

 

About two hours after their arrival, a knocking interrupted Sun from her unpacking. She furrowed her eyebrows and wondered who it could be. Just as she had stood up to investigate Hyuk and Ravi came in. “Stay by us,” Ravi said urgently.

 

Sun swallowed nervously and nodded. She stood in between the two and warily stepped out of her room.

 

The others were already by the gate looking very tense.

 

A voice broke the silence, causing Sun to start a bit. “Hello? Is anyone there? We’re your new neighbors.” The voice sounded like an elderly woman.

 

Sun breathed a sigh of immense relief and made to open the gate. Leo shot his hand out to stop her. She looked at him funny then whispered. “It’s just the neighbors. They’re not a threat.” Then she unlocked the gate and smiled at the three people waiting for her. “Sorry for the wait! Almost didn’t hear you knock,” she said sweetly.

 

The woman smiled back and waved off her apology. “No worries! We’re not in a hurry. My name is Kim Youngja, and this is my husband, Ilsung, and my grandson, Dohyun.”

 

Sun flashed both males a cheerful smile and gestured inside, “Please, come in! I’d love to get to know you.”

 

“I suppose we could stay for a short while,” Mrs. Kim replied. “We also brought you these.” She held out a small plate with some shortbread cookies shaped like dragonflies.

 

“Thank you so much! I’m afraid I don’t have anything to give you in return at the moment. We’ve only just finished unpacking everything, and I haven’t had time to get any food yet,” Sun apologized.

 

“Don’t worry about it, sweetheart,” Mrs. Kim said airily. “We’ll just sit and chat and then be on our way.”

 

“We? Do you live with someone, Miss Cho?” Mr. Kim spoke up for the first time.

 

“Ah yes, let me introduce you to, um, well,” Sun faltered after seeing all six robots standing perfectly still at her door. She couldn’t just tell her new neighbors she lived with robots. They probably wouldn’t believe her anyway.

 

“We’re her bodyguards,” N said. Sun shot him a grateful look.

 

“Her bodyguards?” piped up little Dohyun. “Are you being hunted?”

 

“Sort of? My dad is very important and some bad people are after us, so I came out here where it’s safe. They can’t find me here, and even if they do, these guys are more than qualified for this job.” Sun explained carefully to the excited boy. “There’s nothing to worry about really,” She added when Mr. and Mrs. Kim looked a little unsure.

 

Looking more reassured the elderly couple and their grandson followed Sun into the main part of the house where Sun dug out some tea to make them. The six robots warily followed them inside and stationed themselves around the room and listened silently to the cheerful conversation.


 

Meanwhile, back in Seoul a certain person was absolutely furious. Her best agents were standing in front of her completely still. None of them had any excuse for why they came back empty-handed. And now they couldn’t even figure out where Sun had disappeared to, despite their best efforts. Yes, they were in trouble now for sure.

 

Their boss paced back in forth, her heels clacking in the otherwise silent room. “You mean to tell,” she said, her voice deceptively calm, “that you couldn’t catch one wimpy college girl? That was too difficult a task for the most ruthless men in South Korea?”

 

The leader of the group stepped forward and cleared his throat nervously before saying, “She had protection. I’ve never seen these men before, nor have I seen anyone fight like them. They were… ruthless.”

 

The woman froze. “What did they look like? Was there anything unusual about them?”

The man pondered for a moment then said, “Actually, yes. Their eyes were all unnaturally bright with very unusual colors.”

The woman cursed. “So he did invent them…” She was silent for a moment, then grabbed a vase off her desk and hurled it at the wall. “Find that girl at all costs! NOW!”

 

The men hastily bowed and scurried out of the room, eager to be out of their boss’s line of sight.


Could it be? Has our villain made her appearance?

Obviously.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed the chapter~ It was slightly longer than previous ones (I think).

Thanks to all my new subscribers <3 Now don't forget to comment~ See you soon ^^