Eleventh Grade

3 Times Eunsook Falls in Love. 1 Time Eunsook is Completely Oblivious.

[[A/N: Warnings: Some homophobia]]

 

“Jonghyun,” Eunsook asks tentatively, unsure if she has the younger boy’s attention.

 

“Yes, noona?” he says, not looking up from their english project as they work in the library. Eunsook can feel her nerves take over her once again but she steels herself, needing to spit the words out.

 

“Jonghyun-ah, will you go to the prom with me?” She holds her breath, amazed that she actually asked him. She had been practicing for weeks and Joonhi told her to just go for it, so here they were. Now she just had to wait for his response.

 

His head shoots up at her question and their eyes meet. He looks a little shocked and confused as he asks, “You don’t have a date yet?”

 

“No,” she says slowly, looking down and glancing back up at him in an attempt to gauge his reaction. At the dazed look on his face, her heart sinks and she shifts in her seat.

 

“Just forget I asked, it’s no big deal. Sorry if that was-“

 

“Sure, I’ll go with you,” Jonghyun interjects, placing his hand on where hers is fidgeting on the table.

 

“Really?” Eunsook asks, eyes filled with hope. Maybe this year will be the year she finally has a boyfriend, when she can finally kiss a boy and not just fantasize about it.

 

“Of course! I’d love to go with you, noona,” he smiles, giving her those puppy dog eyes that she loves.

 

Eunsook doesn’t know what to say (what do you say to someone that has agree to go to prom with you?!).  Should she give him a hug? Should she say "thank you"? She settles for pinching his cheek (wait, what did she just do) and he makes a face at her before laughing.

 

“Alright, let’s get this project done!” he says and they both turn their attention back to their assignment.

 

Prom night is everything that Eunsook could have asked for. Jonghyun wanted to help her pick her dress and was more than willing to get a matching tie and vest. He came over to her house early so that her parents could fawn over them and take pictures for hours.

 

They meet up with some of their friends from school for dinner before the dance and Eunsook can't help but gush to Joonhi about everything. At this point her best friend has heard everything a million times, but she indulges Eunsook this moment knowing that it has been a long time coming. Eunsook deserves to be happy and it's obvious that Jonghyun makes her very happy.

 

As they wait for their names to be called for the pre-dance procession, Eunsook’s happiness falters and she fiddles with her dress, readjustng her shawl over her should to hide her arms. She had been unsure about a halter dress but Jonghyun had assured her that she looked gorgeous and it was very flattering. They had gone dress shopping for hours and although it was unusual to go dress shopping with your date, Eunsook was glad that it was Jonghyun and not Joonhi because as much as she loved her best friend it was hard to go dress shopping with someone who was a size 0 and looked great in everything when she was a 14 and had to dig to find a cute dress.

 

Although it had been embarrassing at first to have her date look with her, they had just stumbled across it naturally one day when they were hanging out at the mall and she had been drawn to a yellow dress in one of the store displays. Jonghyun had laughed at her expression and ushered her into the shop where he proceeded to help her try out dress after dress until they had settled on a beautiful coral halter top that had beads all over the bodice and flared out at the waist.

 

Their names were finally called and Jonghyun grabbed her hand, placing it on the crook of his arm as he smiled down at her. He was barely taller than her and she had kept that in mind when she decided to wear flats so that he wouldn’t feel awkward next to her for the evening. As they walked across the stage, everyone clapped and Jonghyun leaned in to kiss her cheek, causing her to blush and forget all about her worries.

 

The dance was so much fun that Eunsook didn’t want the night to end. At one point, they stopped dancing and Jonghyun had gone to get them drinks. Joonhi had found her and they were discussing their plans for after the dance. Joonhi’s date, Seungho, was talking to some boys at another table and they were laughing at something. While Eunsook tried to pay attention to what her friend was saying, the noise from the boys was too distracting and they heard them mention Jonghyun’s name. She stopped trying to pay attention to Joonhi to better hear what they were saying.

 

“Haha, yeah, just look at that . He came here with the only girl in this school who has no idea he’s into guys. What a loser,” one of the boys said.

 

“Ugh, he can’t even stop himself from flirting with that Junsu kid, just look at them basically all over each other. Gross,” another chimed in.

 

Eunsook turned to see what they were talking about and her breath caught in . Jonghyun was indeed talking animatedly to one of the underclassmen that was working the snack station. Both boys were smiling widely and Jonghyun had learned in, placing his hand warmly on the other boys arm. It definitely looked like they were flirting, but Eunsook was confused by what that meant.

 

“Eunsook! Hello! Are you even listening to me?” Joonhi snapped her fingers in front of her face, bringing her back to the moment.

 

Jonghyun soon joined them and Eunsook took her drink from him gratefully. She readily followed when he pulled her back to the dance floor for a slow song and she laid her head on his shoulder, still processing everything she had seen and heard. Jonghyun was her hair as they swayed to the music and Eunsook couldn’t stop herself from whispering, “Are you gay?”

 

He stopped moving and she felt him tense up. She looked up at him and he looked scared. “No, Jonghyun, please don’t be scared. I just, was just curious is all,” she said, trying to soften the mood and make him feel more at ease even though the words were a lie. She had  thought that he could be her first real boyfriend, he had treated her so well and she had felt so at ease with him, but she realized that it was more important to be there for Jonghyun than to fantasize about what could have been.

 

“I’m sorry, Eunsook. I-I don’t know what to say,” he finally whispered.

 

“You don’t have to say anything, Jonghyun-ah. I still love you just the way you are,” she smiles and kisses his cheek. He takes in a deep breath at this and begins to move to the music once again, holding her closer. As the music continues to play, Eunsook feels the last remnants of her crush vanish but a whole new affection for her friend takes its place and she’s happy that he can be honest with her.

 

Later that month, Eunsook is waiting for Jonghyun at the mall when she spots him approaching. She smiles and stands up from the bench she had been sitting on, putting her book back into her purse. When she looks back up, Jonghyun is standing in front of her hand in hand with Junsu. Eunsook is shocked at the initial sight and then she smiles, eyes scrunching up in happiness as she squeals and hugs the two boys.

 

“Oh my gosh, you guys! When did this happen! Tell me everything,” and as they laugh and begin to walk away, both placing their arms around Eunsook, her heart once again flutters with happiness for her two friends and she wouldn’t change a thing.