The Hounds

Crisis Hotline

“You called me, a homicide detective, for a suicide, Yesung?”

“It's not that simple, Park.”

“Then why do you want me to look into this?”

“I'm closest to you over all the other detectives. I thought you might have my back on this.”

Jungsu looked into Jongwoon's eyes. He diverted his gaze, weighing his options. He glanced at his watch. The younger man told him something he liked hearing. He liked being dependable and approachable but he had other cases; established cases. At the same time, Jongwoon wasn’t someone who asked for favors often and he wasn’t the type to up when he wanted something. “Okay. Shoot.” Jungsu didn’t miss the slight smile that momentarily cracked on Jongwoon’s face.

“There was a call to 911 last night. I think Kanging was dispatched at ten after one. Anyway, the caller said there was a man threatening to kill himself and he wanted us to intervene. Turns out we were too late. So I was called out at one-twenty A.M. and I arrived at the scene ten minutes later at one-thirty. That makes it twenty to thirty minutes after death if you go by the time the 911 call was made, but the guy looks like he’s been dead a lot longer than that. I put his time of death at around 7 P.M. that evening.”

Jungsu held up his hands and began counting down from the time of the call. “One, twelve, eleven-”

“Six hours,” Jongwoon interrupted. “He had been dead for six hours before we got there.” He held out his report for Jungsu. “Look at the pictures. See that entrance wound? The blood around it had dried for the most part, which is inconsistent with the supposed time of death. Also, rogor mortis was present. It shouldn’t have started until two to three hours after death.”

Jungsu looked through the pictures. They supported what Jongwoon was telling him. “I see…” He was disturbed by the images. The close ups are what got to him. He had never quite gotten used to seeing gruesome pictures like most others on the force but he didn’t want to let on. Instead he closed the folder with the pictures, tucked it under his arm and went back to taking notes. “Are there any defensive wounds?”

“Well…no, the only injury is consistent with a suicide by a single gunshot to the right side temple. But he does have a lot of bruises, particularly on his legs and arms. They’re in various stages of healing though, but that could be because of his lifestyle. He looks pretty athletic.”

“Indeed.”

“I listed the cause of death as ‘undetermined’.”

“Good. You said Kangin responded first?”

 “Yes, Kangin and then everybody else. Listen, I don’t blame them. If I didn’t know any better, I would think I just walked into a suicide too but I happen to know better. These guys touched everything, stepped everywhere. I’d be surprised if there’s a single clean print that we could use. I had them start collecting prints but you know how that could go.”

“I hear ya’. Anyway, I’ll get with Kangin to see what he has to add. Thank you, Yesung. Go get some sleep.”

“The dead sleep. I work,” Jongwoon replied with a solemn smile.

“I know what you mean.” Jungsu patted Jongwoon on the back and took his leave after finishing up his notes and stuffing his memo pad in his jacket.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Jungsu walked back to his desk. He picked up the handset and reached to dial Youngwoon’s cell phone number but before he could press the first number, the door to his office was brusquely jerked open.

“Kangin, what the hell?!”

Youngwoon smiled broadly, pleased with himself. “Did I scare you?”

“No,” Jungsu replied begrudgingly. “I was just about to call you.”

“Really? I have something to tell you too.” Youngwoon helped himself to the seat across Jungsu’s desk.

“Is it about the call last night?”

“Yeah, how did you…?”

“Yesung told me. Supposed suicide, huh?”

“Yes. I would look into it myself but I’m just a beat cop.”

“Why would you look into it?”

“Well…” Youngwoon sighed. “Main reason: time of death and time of the 911 call. I thought I was heading into a situation where the guy would still be trying, or just barely killed himself. I thought I had a chance to save him from himself. I didn’t expect to find him like that. You know? Yesung said he’d been dead for hours.” Jungsu only nodded and Youngwoon continued, “Another thing that I found funny, the dispatcher said the guy had a dog. I found no dog. I called and called, looked here and there but…”

“There were a lot of strange people at the house. It might have just been hiding. I’ll go to the house later and look around for the dog then.”

“Thanks, hyung.”

“Who dispatched you?”

“Miss Kim.”

“Anything else?”

Youngwoon shook his head. Then he scoffed as he remembered something. “Homeboy used a suppressor.”

“What?” Jungsu knew he had heard him correctly but it was odd.

“Yeah, a homemade suppressor. I guess he didn’t want anyone to hear the gunshot.”

“D-do you have it?”

“Yeah, we bagged it and some other stuff. I have it at my desk.”

“Well, let’s see it then.”

 

Jungsu laid eyes on the crude apparatus. It was bagged in clear plastic and still attached to the .22 caliber handgun.

“I secured it of course,” Youngwoon offered.

Jungsu then picked the bag up and inspected the weapon closer. He saw the raised letters on the gun. He made note of the caliber. ‘Twenty-two- the preferred caliber of the hitman.’ He turned it over. ‘But this suppressor.’ Jungsu scoffed. ‘The hell would a hitman be doing running around with a suppressor like this?’

The suppressor was made with PVC pipe and secured onto the muzzle using some type of epoxy glue. Jungsu wasn’t able to tell how the improvised suppressor was designed and constructed on the inside. If his chief gave him the approval to continue with an investigation, he would have it sent to the ballistics specialist for analysis.

“By any chance, did you run this for prints?”

“No. I had to file it as a suicide. Good thing Yesung listed it as ‘undetermined’ or I would have to turn the things we collected over to the family- well, minus this crappy suppressor. I swear I could make a better one with one hand tied behind my back.”

“I’ve seen worse but you’re right. This one is pretty bad. Made for one-time use, that’s for sure. But still, he went through the trouble of making it.”

“Or did he?”

“Yes. Assuming he did do it himself. Just to be safe, I’ll look at this as a homicide. If this is a representation of the killer’s work, then I’m pretty sure he’ll have slipped up somewhere, left some detail out of his master plan.”

“That’s what I’m thinking.”

 “Thanks, Kangin. I can’t guarantee the boss will let me make a case with this but I’ll try.” Jungsu looked up to see Youngwoon, who was staring off into space. “Kangin?”

Youngwoon shook his head. “I had to tell his parents,” he said quietly.

“That’s always the hard part.” He searched Youngwoon’s face. Jungsu knew from experience that every once in a while, cops need reminders of why they do what they do. Seeing Youngwoon so spaced out, Jungsu decided to remind him then. “Kangin, we do help people. Even Hyukjae. No one would look into these things if it weren’t for guys like you and Yesung.” 

Youngwoon looked up to see Jungsu smiling encouragingly at him. “Okay, Teukki.” Youngwoon managed to shake off his melancholic mood and smile back. He pushed his depressive thoughts deep into his mind. If he stayed there, they would only grow and take over completely. Then the only thing that he would think of doing would be drinking as an escape.

“See you later.”

“Oh, don’t forget you owe me lunch for the bet we made on the game!” the younger called out as Jungsu walked away.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Jungsu got off the phone with the chief. He had the approval to go forward with the investigation. He knew he was granted permission to look into the suicide, which would otherwise have been left at that, because the chief trusted his judgment.

At times like these, Jungsu was reminded just how important it was for him to put all of his effort into each and every case and build his reputation. His heart swelled with pride knowing that he didn’t have to sell it to his boss. He gave him the go-ahead without the need to go into a lot of details or explanation. That type of trust was invaluable to him.

Without wasting another minute, Jungsu left for Hyukjae’s residence.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

These premises have been sealed by the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency pursuant to Section 539, Administrative Code. All persons are forbidden to enter unless authorized by the SMPA or public administrator.

The sticker sign ran from the door frame to the door itself, just above the deadbolt lock. The detective walked up the three steps to the door. He rummaged through his pocket for the key to the house and used the key to break the seal and unlock the door.

 Jungsu stepped into the house and the first thing that hit him was the smell of canine waste. He looked around and saw a small pile of droppings under the side table in the corner of the living room. There was dried urine by the sliding glass door. 

He was pulled out of his thoughts by shuffling noises coming from one of the rooms in the hallway. He drew his weapon and kept it lowered by his side but still at the ready.

He walked toward the hall. All of the blinds had been drawn. Little light entered the house despite the broad daylight.

He saw a small shadow tentatively peek from one of the bedroom doors. Jungsu sighed in relief. “Oh, it’s just you.” He holstered his gun and slowly took a step forward but when he did, the little creature barked at the top of its lungs.

“Hey, it’s okay. I won’t hurt you.” Jungsu made quick kissing noises and crouched to make himself less imposing.

The little dog wouldn’t be convinced so easily. It continued to bark and bare its teeth at Jungsu.

“Fine.” Jungsu stood and walked over to the kitchen. He wore his latex gloves before he began searching though the cupboards for dog food. All the while, Choco was right at his heels, still barking and threatening to bite. Whenever Jungsu turned to face Choco, she would retreat a safe distance away and continue with her assault as soon as he turned his back again.

“Finally. Had to be the last place I looked, didn’t it?” Jungsu turned to Choco with a can of dog food in his hand. She rushed a safe distance away and barked. She heard the can lid click and immediately stopped snarling.

“You want this? You’ll have to play nice.” Jungsu set the can down and stepped back to allow Choco enough space to eat comfortably.

She cautiously approached the food and sniffed it. Deciding it was safe, she quickly forgot about the stranger in her house and wolfed the wet food down.

Jungsu let the little dog eat a few mouthfuls before he inched his way closer to the dog, ever so slowly. Choco didn’t notice that he was sitting next to her while she ate. He reached out and carefully her back. She failed to notice that also.

She finished the can and sat back, her chops.

“See? I’m not such a bad guy.”

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thanks to the subscribers.

Sunny and 74° F. It should be nice tonight.