final

Truthfully

"Hey! Are you guys ready?"

 
Wendy heard Irene's voice coming from the living room, and almost immediately, she could feel her palms sweating profusely, her heart thumping against her chest loudly.
 
It was a friday, and fridays were when the Red Velvet members would sit in their usual circle for their '5 minutes talk', each confessing a secret. This was to maintain their close relationship, by sharing a secret that the other members do not know of.
 
Wendy had confessed many embarassing secrets, such as accidentally wearing Seulgi's orange while rushing for a schedule, or even stealing Joy's purse and using her money without the other members knowing.
 
However, this time, this confession might be the most embarassing of them all, especially since Seulgi and Joy would be there to . This confession, required all of Wendy's courage inside her to say it. 
 
It was only a few weeks back when Wendy realised she had actually developed feelings for Irene. Yes, she liked her. Not in the friendly way, but in the way where many people might disapprove. Still, Wendy never stopped liking Irene. Every part of Irene seemed like a piece of art to her. The way Irene smiles, the way Irene talks, the way Irene moves her body ever so gracefully when she dances, even a sleeping Irene was enough to captivate Wendy's heart. This, this was definitely love. Sure, Wendy loves Seulgi and Joy too, but the love she has for Irene was a different type of love.
 
Wendy continued to wipe her sweating palms on her shorts, brainstorming how she would confess to Irene later. After coming up with a suitable confession, she smiled proudly, before heading out to their living room.
 
"Alright. Today's a friday, so it's confession time. Seulgi, would you like to go first?"
 
Irene looked at Seulgi, and the latter looked as though she was about to burst into a fit of laughter anytime.
 
"I... I once sneaked out of our dorm in the middle of the night to watch a movie and went around eating."
 
Seulgi bit her lip, trying to stifle her laughter.
 
"Once? You sure it was just once?" Joy furrowed her eyebrows suspiciously.
 
"Okay fine. Thrice, actually."
 
"Yah!"
 
Irene flicked Seulgi's forehead playfully, to which Seulgi smiled sheepishly and could only reply with a "Sorry."
 
"Okay, your turn, Sooyoung."
 
"Umm..."
 
Joy glanced from Seulgi, to Irene, to Wendy, and then back to Irene.
 
"Violence is prohibited, right?"
 
"Why would we resort to violence?" Wendy chuckled. Their maknae's confessions were always the most unexpected and absurd ones.
 
"Okay. Here i go." Joy inhaled deeply before continuing, "There was once i hid myself inside the cubicle of our practise room's toilet and spent half an hour shouting curse words at the three of you. Mind you, you'll be surprised at the number of curse words i know."
 
Joy finished her confession, rolling on the floor, laughing so hard it was tough for her to even breathe.
 
"Park Sooyoung!"
 
Seulgi kicked her playfully, followed by Wendy who slapped her arm lightly. Half angry yet half amused, Irene asked, "When was it, though?"
 
"Remember that practise we had the day before our comeback? When everyone was so pissed off and worn out? Yeah, it was that day." Joy answered, wiping the tears from her eyes.
 
"You better not do that again or you're dead. You hear me?" Irene warned.
 
"Yes, yes. What's yours then, unnie?"
 
When all attention was focused on their leader, Irene started to blush slightly.
 
"You guys have to keep it a secret. Promise?"
 
The other members nodded obediently, eyes still fixed on their leader.
 
"I... I've a boyfriend."
 
Irene's confession was immediately responded with Seulgi clasping her hands over , and Joy who was smirking away and nudging Irene on her sides. It took a while before Wendy could absorb the entire confession. Irene. A boyfriend. Which means, she stood no chance at all. Her confession which she had planned to say later, was basically, and literally, a joke.
 
"Who is it eh, unnie?" Joy teased, to which Irene replied, "Seulgi, you should know who it is."
 
"Him?" Seulgi's eyes widened. "You mean the one who has been asking you out ever since we were trainees?"
 
Irene nodded slightly, her cheeks and ears were already as red as a tomato. Irene had mentioned him to the members before, but Wendy had always thought it was just a one sided love, that Irene would never love him back. She was wrong.
 
"Why didn't you tell us earlier?!" Seulgi grinned and slapped their leader's arm playfully.
 
"It was just yesterday."
 
Irene tried to hide the blush on her face, while Wendy tried to hide the tears which were threatening to spill from her eyes. Seulgi and Joy were busy congratulating Irene, and soon, Wendy found herself doing the same, although she could feel a dagger sinking deeper and deeper into her heart.
 
"Alright, alright, enough congratulating me. We're still left with Wendy's confession."
 
Suddenly, all heads turned to face Wendy, and Wendy found herself speechless. She still couldn't fully accept the fact that Irene's got a boyfriend, and as she laughed at herself for being so stupid, she felt a single tear trickle it way down her cheeks.
 
"Wendy? Are you okay? Why are you crying?" 
 
Irene was being concerned, yet Wendy didn't want the care or concern Irene was giving her, she wanted the love.
 
"Oh? I am? Ah it's just... I'm really happy for you, unnie."
 
It was a lie, of course, a complete lie. In actual fact, Wendy hated the guy, hated him immediately when Irene said he was her boyfriend. Wendy wanted to be the one taking care of Irene, the only one who's capable of giving love to her. It all seemed impossible now.
 
"Anyway, my confession..." Wendy racked her brains, and lied again. 
 
"Ah. I remember hating Seulgi when i first saw her."
 
"You hated me?"
 
"Yeah, i hated you so bad."
 
Lies, lies, lies.
 
"Wow, i didn't know anyone would hate Seulgi unnie." Joy said, amused.
 
"It was only for the first few days though. Don't take it too seriously, Sseul."
 
Wendy was surprised her words came out steady, without any stuttering at all. Seulgi only nodded and smiled, and slowly, each of them made their way back to their bedroom, leaving Wendy alone in the living room. With heavy footsteps, Wendy dragged herself onto the couch.
 
Her mind was in a mess, it was like haywire. She didn't know what to think, or what to feel. Her heart, her heart was in a mess too. It had shattered into tiny bits, and she wasn't even sure if she would ever be able to fix it back properly. 
 
Her thoughts were immediately interrupted when she felt a hand on her shoulder. Wendy turned to face Irene, the one who was the cause of her broken heart.
 
"Wendy? Why are you still up? Aren't you going to sleep?"
 
"Ah, i was going to. I was just... sorting my thoughts."
 
As they made their way to the bedroom, Irene noticed Wendy's troubled expression plastered on her face.
 
"Son Seungwan."
 
Irene carefully turned Wendy so that they were now facing each other, and it was then she realised that Wendy's red, swollen eyes were welled up with tears.
 
Irene rarely addresses Wendy with "Son Seungwan." It was either "Wan-ah" or "Wendy-ah". "Son Seungwan" was only used when something was serious and wrong.
 
"Do you perhaps... like me?"
 
It was extremely painful. Every single word that came out of Irene's mouth only added on to the pain Wendy was experiencing.
 
"And what if i say i do?"
 
Wendy knew she shouldn't have asked, for Irene's reply would never be the reply she wanted.
 
"I was hoping you wouldn't say that."
 
There was an awkward silence afterwards, and for every second that had passed by, it felt like a light year to Wendy.
 
Irene spoke again.
 
"Wendy-ah, i'm sorry. I don't know how i should-"
 
"I understand."
 
Somehow, Wendy managed to force out a smile.
 
"Just make sure you're happy, and that he takes good care of you, alright?"
 
Irene lowered her head and nodded, and Wendy managed to pat the leader's head lightly before heading into their bedroom.
 
Irene leaned back against the wall, laughing softly as she choked on her tears.
 
"And i thought it was just me." She muttered to herself.
 
"But we'll never happen, and i'd rather we stay like this. I'm just glad you feel the same."