It all starts with Soju

Impossible

It was raining outside . My mood ....Sub zero. I hate rainy days . It makes me feel ....damp and exposed . I put on my raincoat as I pocketed the keys . I picked up my least faviorate umbrella (not like I have a faviorate one anyway) and headed straight outside the gloomy day . A car veered passed me splasing cold water  me . Wow what a great day to begin with .

6:00 AM

See I am never late for work . I am punctual even though I don't try . It just needs to become a autonomous habit and I end up like a robot . I don't like rushing things . But I was always a hotheaded person . I unlocked the door and went inside my so called cafe . It wasn't my plan really. My mom had opened it 3 years ago but she decided I should run it probably . There would have been no problem but the thing was I didn't want to run a cafe . I wanted to ...

See the world , I wanted to become a journalist or maybe a producer or an artist . I wanted so many things in life but I could not go against my mom . So I never declined her offer. It's been 3 years since I finished highschool. No collage . I have been running this little cafe for the last three years . 

Creek......

The door opened . I switched on the light and started heating the geysers and boilers . By 6:30 my assistant Sam will be here . I put Sam in charge of the pastries and cakes while I always did the coffee. By 7 my only waiter/server Jessie arrives.Sam have been working in this cafe since my mom opened it. Sam was an old gentle man in his late fifties or early sixties . He however had the energy of a young man. Sam's wife and kids had died in an accident four years ago. Deeply sadened by the tragady he had lived in solitude for almost a year . His family never looked after him . He then began searching for jobs after his daily needs became essential .

By circustances he happened to pass by our cafe . Mom liked him so much she hired him that very day .I hired Jessie only last year after it was hectic for me and Sam alone to manage the cafe . Jessie was a struggling single mom. I met her online . The three of us make up the day serving customers , brewing , baking , serving , washing dishes and god knows what .

By 9 at night I head home . I send Jessie by 6 because she needs to attend her kids at home . Sam leaves at 8 . I manage an hour by myself . 

As soon as I step outside .... rain starts to fall. Damn. It's pretty cold by this time of the year in Seoul . By next month I expect snowfall. And yeah I am not keen on that idea . Walking home is another agony . It's a 2 miles walk from my cafe till my house . I can't take the cabs as I really have to save every penny I have . House rent for my apartment and my cafe, payments for Sam and Jessie , grocery , electricity bills, phone bills...ahhh I suddenly veer myself into a small makeshift bar . I promised i wont drink .

I always chose makeshift bars . They usually don't have more then two or three customers and they are cheap . Inside I was thankful I only saw one customer . A guy with a cap facing away from me. He was busy gulping down noodles .

I don't drink. Infact I hate drinking . I hate drunkards and smokers . But ..... sometimes drinking is the only thing that let's my exploding head cool down . I only drink a bottle of soju to be honest . That gives me the right amount of balance to reach home without doing much circles .

"A bottle of soju please " I asked the old lady . When I said SOJU the guy turned back to have a look at me . I got red . Like hell yeah . I only saw part of the guys face as he didn't entirely turn back . He was back to his noodles.  Jerk* I thought. Now  this guy must think i am a drunkard. I poured in my soju and drank the first shot . This guy was kinda cute . Like his eyes .... they were almond when they turned to look at me ... shut up . Soju was getting into my head .

Just then my phone rang . 

" Hello " 

"Is this Jung Soo Jung ?" Shouted a rude voice .

"Um....yeah it is . Why ?" I asked in a nervous tone.

" oh I am Mr.Kim . The owner of the place you are renting as your cafe right now " 

"Oh yes Mr.Kim . So sorry I didn't recognise your number . Is there any problem that your calling me all of a sudden ?"

"Yes. I just wanted to tell you that by tomorrow evening I want you to be moved out of my place . " 

"What ? But Mr.Kim how can you just kick me out like that ? Where will I go ? Where will I put all my stuffs ? Mr.Kim? Mr.Kim ?Mr.Kim please " I started sobbing uncontrollably.  The old lady actually stood up and comforted me .

"My my don't cry dear .Your too beautiful to cry " she said as she patted my head . The guy was having his second share of noodles and did not look back . Before I knew it I had finished 4 bottles of soju . 

"One more soju pl ...please ajjuma" i managed to mumble out before having to go outside and puke. I was so drunk I didn't have any balance . 

"Money ajjuma" I managed to say as I dragged myself back in the rent and took out some cash to the old lady . Before I knew I was back outside in the old night . But I did not feel the cold  . My whole world was spinning . I felt dizzy and funny and sick at the same time . All I wanted to do was lay down and sleep.

My body uncontrollably decided to just sleep on the pavement . I did not have the energy to even open my eyes . Now I know why drunkards end up like this in the streets . Just then I felt a pair of hands picking me up and walking me god knows where .

I wanted to shout kidnappers ...I am getting kidnapped but all I managed to say was a tiny " kidnapped ...you mo#$f $#r" before everything went dark .