Chapter 1

Tears in Time
Kim Jong Kook has been crying for days.
 
He couldn't accept the truth, he couldn't accept reality. 2 terrible news in a day. "A day could change everything, huh?" he chuckled softly in his tears, "even a second could."
 
Yes. He's going to die soon. He doesn't have much time left. He might only have a few weeks, days, hours, or even minutes. He won't survive, the doctor said. He won't ever be healed, the doctor said. He only has a few days left, the doctor said. He'd better just die now then suffer the pain he's going to suffer soon, the doctor said. But he doesn't seem to care.
 
Jong Kook shook his head, making his tears flow down harder. It was not that news that made him this sad. No, not at all. He even liked the thought that he will leave soon.
 
As he pulled his soaked pillow to wipe his tears, a sheet of decorated, blue glittery paper dropped off his bed. He glanced at it, a new drop of tear forming in his eyes. As he stared at the paper, his memory went back to that worst moment of his life.
 
It was a peaceful evening. Birds were chirping, and the sun was bidding goodbye. He was standing in front of an old Victorian church, clenching his fist, nervous to the bone. He was just going to enter, knowing that his dream woman was in there, just in the church that he asked her to go to, where he wanted to confess to his other half.
 
Collecting his courage, he went into the church. He saw something that he did not expect. And something that he never wanted to happen. 
 
Everything that he brought dropped; red and white roses sticking out from its bouquet, diamond ring dropped on the floor. His tears flowed, he lost his words. He left the church in tears and disappointment, regret filling his heart, not knowing why everything is so unfair for him.
 
He regretted everything. If only he didn't spend time picking that perfect ring, she would have been his. If only he took the fake roses instead of waiting for the freshly bloomed roses, she would have been kissing him in pure joy.
 
He knew he was too late.
 
***
 
Song Ji Hyo walked down the aisle. She wore a pearly dress, long and pretty. Her husband-to-be chose it for her, and she was more than happy. Her eyes were fixed at this man, smiling and handsome, waiting for her to arrive in his arms.
 
She linked her hand with his, smiling, facing the priest in front of her. She proudly smiled to the audience, then eyed them meaningfully one by one.
 
Something made her halt.
 
She saw this man, in a familiar suit, bowing his head, looking sad and weak. She stared at him for a while, only to be surprised. "Kim… Kim Jong Kook?" she murmured in confusion. The man slightly lifted his head, showing her a forced smile. He looked at her eyes, begging for her acceptance, but then realized that there was no hope left. He just had to accept it.
 
Kim Jong Kook's regrets came to him again. He stared at the beautiful woman, hoping that he could just throw Gary away and replace him. But he couldn't. And he wouldn't.
 
Jihyo scrunched her eyebrows. What in the world happened to him? What happened to Kim Jong Kook? Where did the strong side of him go? Why is he like this?
 
A soft tap on her shoulder brought her back to reality. She turned, surprised, only to see her to-be-husband staring at her. 
 
"Yah, miss mong, what are you doing, spacing out in front of these people, hm?" Gary asked his to-be-wife, feeling something weird. Jihyo shrugged it off, showing him a smile that somehow meant that everything was alright.
 
Then, the priest started talking. The couple turned their heads at the holy man, feeling the tension.
 
"Do you, Kang Gary, accept Song Ji Hyo as your loving wife, and promise to be together in good or bad, take responsibility of her, take care for her forever?"
 
"Yes, of course, I do." Kang Gary boldly said, then smiled to his soon-to-be wife.
 
Jong Kook's eyes widened. He knew it was time. He knew it.
 
"Do you, Song Ji Hyo, accept Kang Gary as your faithful husband, and promise to be together in good or bad, take good care of him and your family forever?"
 
"I…" Jihyo turned back, unsure. She eyed on Jong Kook. His eyes were still begging, hungry for her love, but he nodded, showing how he sincerely surrendered Jihyo to the man standing next to her. Nevertheless, If he was her husband, then she could lose him anytime because of what he's suffering from. He would leave Gary to take care of her instead of having her grieving of his death right after getting married. That's why he nodded.
 
Jihyo seemed to get his signal. She mouthed "why?", but Jong Kook kept nodding with glassy eyes, and when the first tear escaped his eye, he sharply turned back, hiding it. Knowing that this was the only way to make both sides happy, she turned back and continued, "…do."
 
A series of claps and cheers were heard as the newlyweds kissed passionately.
 
After they broke the kiss, it was loud and cheerful until that falling sound was heard. The claps quickly changed into panicky shouts, and not long after it was chaos.
 
Jihyo turned back, curious on what caused the claps to stop. She turned, seeing the havoc behind her. She went down and saw what caused it. She passed trough the crowd, only to see a man, laying lifelessly, not moving.
 
She gasped, her hand covering her gaping mouth. Her knees gave out, and a tear escaped her eye.
 
***
 
She shouted his name, as she shook the man's body, voice getting softer each time. She yelled, she screamed, she cried on his chest. She kept shaking and shaking, tears endlessly pouring from her eyes. He didn't respond.
 
Jihyo didn't give up. Questions and regret slightly popped in her mind, but she knew she made the right choice to marry Gary. She somehow knew he gave up for her to be happy with Gary. She didn't want it to end up like this. No. This can't end like this!
 
She got tired. Really tired. He gave up on love for her to be happy. He gave up. Should she give up for him too, then?
 
Thoughts filling her mind, Jihyo couldn't shake any longer. She laid down on the man's chest, broad and hard. Her tears poured onto his suit, making it wet. She hugged him, sobbing. She didn't want to let go.
 
As she sticked onto him like super glue, Gary went to her and hugged her shaking figure. Jihyo said to him softly, choking on her tears, "Gary-ah… He gave up for us." There was a slight halt before she continued, "He wanted us to be together, Gary-ah. He gave up for our happiness…"
 
Gary lost his words. Did the hyung he trusted just passed away? Jihyo said he gave up for him. What happened? Why? Did Jong Kook love Jihyo secretly? Of course Jong Kook already knew that Gary loved Jihyo. Is this because of him? Because he didn't want to break his heart?
 
As his body was taken away, Gary comforted her. He couldn't respond, he couldn't say anything. He could only hug her, wishing that he could hug his hyung and say thank you. Why so soon? With thoughts, regret, and confusion filling each other's body, Gary gently placed Jihyo's head on his broad shoulders. Although not as broad as Kim Jong Kook's , Jihyo was glad that she still had a man that will protect her for life. 
 
Gary wanted his hyung back. He wanted to say sorry. He wanted to say thank you. He wanted to clear this out. He wanted to hang out and have fun. He wanted to celebrate with him. He wanted to share his happiness.
 
Jihyo wanted her oppa back. She wanted to say sorry. She wanted to say thank you. She wanted to give her love to him as a best friend. She wanted to hang out and and have fun. She wanted to celebrate with him. She wanted to share her happiness.
 
But they couldn't. 
 
Kang Gary realized, he had to make Jihyo happy for her hyung.
 
And that way, Song Ji Hyo knew.
 
She knew she was too late.