Chapter 1

Limelight

Nana

Phone calls kept coming in our company’s telephone. CEO sighed in irritation and glared at me, as if it was my fault that several journalists are calling. Well, technically, it is.

I shrugged my shoulders at him as I ate another slice of pizza. In my defense, Pledis Entertainment is a small music label. Most of the calls we get are anti-fans, threatening to kill us someday for talking to their oppars and prank calls from high school students. The last time that we got this many calls from media outlets was when Jungah, the eldest member of After School and Onew from SHINee was caught going out together. That was ages ago though.

Getting calls from media outlets like Dispatch, Sports Seoul and Segye Ilbo is a very rare event for our company. The CEO should thank me. He kept glaring at me but I remain unfazed. Most people are afraid of CEO. I’m not.

“Do you even know—” He stopped midsentence when Manager suddenly burst in the door, holding a wireless phone in his hand.

“CEO, Dispatch wants Nana’s statement.” Manager said.

CEO took the phone out of Manager’s grip impatiently and talked to Dispatch on the other line. Manager grabbed the pizza box in front of me which gave a deep frown on my face.

“Do you even know what you have done?” He scolded. I’m used to Manager reprimanding me. Out of all the members, he dislikes me the most. But he sure does love me when it comes to scolding. He shouts at me the most.

“Yeah. Kinda.” I took the pizza box back, opened it and picked another slice.

“You have a scandal, Nana!” He howled furiously. “Dating is okay. But why does it have to be him? Do you know how much hate the other members will get because of you? It’s completely fine if it’s just you who’ll suffer, but the other members are affected too!”

“And whose fault it is? Who allowed me to go out in the middle of the night?” I snapped at him. “I didn’t know that the paparazzi were following me.”

“They were not following you, Nana.” He said, infuriated. “They were following Kris. They caught the two of you dating, accidentally. No one knows you. No one cares about you. No paparazzi are interested in you. No one will probably recognize you there. I thought you’ll go out with someone irrelevant. Someone on your level. But I didn’t know it was someone from EXO. Why didn’t you tell us that you’re dating him?”

“You never asked.” I retorted and walked out of the CEO’s office.

I headed to the Dance Practice Room. The members are probably there, practicing hard for our next comeback. It’s been awhile since we’ve had a new song. The group itself has been on hiatus after our former leader, Kahi, graduated from the group. But the rest of the members remained active during the group’s hiatus. Jungah, Jooyeon and Uee were acting on sitcoms and dramas. Raina had a hit solo song. Lizzy was busy with variety shows like Running Man. While the maknaes, E-Yong and Kaeun had been busy filming numerous CFs and modeling. The members were all busy during the 12-month hiatus. Except me.

Instead of the girls practicing, I was greeted with the sight of the girls huddled together in one corner, looking at something written in what I see is a laptop.

“What’s that?” I said and they jumped back in fright.

“. That shocked me.” Lizzy said and quickly closed the laptop upon seeing me.

The members are all looking at me and they looked really uneasy. Something is wrong about this atmosphere.

I grabbed the laptop. One of the members tried to stop me. But it was too late. I opened the laptop and found out they were looking at a while ago.


Dispatch spots EXO’s Kris with After School

1. [+613, -104] I say this as an EXO fan... you can date girls, just date girls on your own level. Nana is definitely not on your level...

2. [+567, -13] What's wrong with Kris lately ㅋㅋ

3. [+374, -45] Don't care ㅡㅡ but Kris can do better

 


“Unnie…” Lizzy mumbled. “Sorry…”

“Uh? What’s wrong?” I said and looked at the apologetic faces.

“We weren’t supposed to show you that. We thought you’d get hurt because…”

I burst out laughing. And the members just stared like me like I was a crazy person. They actually thought that I would be hurt because of stupid comments from netizens. Even before this whole scandal, my image isn’t the best either. I’m used to it hearing and reading criticisms everyday from the people around me. My feelings are numb. I stopped caring a long time ago.

When I calmed down, I said to them, “Don’t worry. Worry about yourselves. Our comeback is fast approaching.”

“But your heart might get hurt from all of these…” Kaeun, the maknae, innocently said with her big eyes popping out.

I smiled at our naïve maknae and said, “Don’t you know already? I don’t have a heart.


a/n: Here's the 1st Chapter. I hope I kept things interesting. Or not? Your feedback is highly appreciated. Thanks to the first people who subscribed and to tikdoltok for giving this story its very first comment!  :)