Punch Drunk Crush

Punch Drunk Crush

Taehyung doesn’t really like alcohol, it always leaves a funny taste on the back of his tongue and after a couple of beers he starts feeling woozy. 

The wooziness is apparently the point, or so Hoseok would have him believe. Personally, he can’t understand the appeal; when they were in America he got really drunk, just once, the only time he’d ever been properly out of it. The next day he woke up on the kitchen floor with no memory of the night before and no way of getting to the bathroom before he puked. After that, he decided that him and alcohol were done with each other. 

Until Hoseok comes in one evening, giggling like a school girl and harbouring three bottles of soju that is. Taehyung doesn’t really want to drink it, but it’s so rare for it to just be the two of them, alone in the dorms, and Hoseok is so excited. 

And Taehyung has such a hard time saying no to him. He’s always had a bit of a soft spot for Hoseok, but recently it’s been getting worse. 

"Can I open my eyes yet?"

"I’m nearly done,"

"Hyeeeoongg! I’ve been sitting here for half an hour already,"

"It’s been ten minutes Tae, be patient,"

"I have been patient, for ten minutes!”

"Well you can stop now,"

"What do you mean?"

Hoseok laughs and nudges Taehyung’s shoulder, “I’m done silly,”

Taehyung opens his eyes to see that Hoseok has placed the dorm Jenga set on the coffee table, bricks neatly alligned and ready to play. He doesn’t get it.

"I don’t get it,"

"It’s drinking Jenga!" Hoseok beams, "I’ve modified it!"

Taehyung blinks, “I still don’t get it,”

"C’mon, I’ll pour you a drink and show you how to play," Hoseok leaps over to the other side of the table. He cracks the cap off the first bottle and then passes it to Taehyung to twist the seal as he fills two shot glasses and hands one over.

They pass the cap back and forth, flicking the tail until Taehyung manages to send it spinning off under their sorely underused bookcase. Hoseok cackles in delight and takes his drink as punishment before leaning over and removing the first brick from the Jenga tower,
"Take a shot," he says, flipping the brick over to see the underside. Taehyung doesn’t understand what he means but he doesn’t complain when Hoseok pours himself another drink without expecting him to drink his. 

Hoseok nods at Taehyung, “your turn,”

Taehyung plays it safe, poking out a central brick from the third row down. The tower remains unharmed and he is free to turn his brick over to see what Hoseok is playing at, 

Person to your left - drink! 

It’s written in Hoseok’s sharp, neat handwriting. Comprehension dawns on Taehyung’s face, 

"The Jenga tells you how to drink!"

"Precisely,"

"That’s clever," Taehyung turns the brick for Hoseok to see, "you lose again hyeong,"

"AGAIN? Ah I have no luck today," Hoseok’s smiling far too gleefully as he pours himself another shot for Taehyung to take him seriously.

Hoseok draws another brick and has to take another shot, Taehyung draws another brick and they both have to drink, Hoseok draws his third brick and his smile takes on a maliciously gleeful tone,

"What is it?" Taehyung smiles though he has a horrible feeling that this is the point at which the evening is going to stop being fun for him.

Hoseok turns the brick so Taehyun can see, wiggling his eyebrows menacingly

Make a rule

Well that doesn’t sound so bad.

"What does it mean?" Taehyung grins despite himself, there’s something undeniably charming about Hoseok when he’s having fun and it’s infectious,

"It means that I get to make a rule,"

"What kind of rule?"

"Any kind of rule! I could decide that you have to drink double shots only for the rest of the game,"

Taehyung’s smile vanishes in an instant. He supposes he should have known better than to trust this would be a positive development.

"Ooooorrrr……I could decide that you have to refer to me as ‘your majesty’ for the rest of the evening and if you mess up you have to drink,"

Hoseok leans across the table and whispers, “or I could decide that at any time you’re allowed to remove an item of clothing in lieu of taking a shot. BUT! You have to decide which you're doing before you pick your brick,”

"So we’re stripping for the rest of the game?"

"Only if you want to,"

"Sweet,"

Taehyung doesn’t mind being around his bandmates. The flat is so small and their schedules are so packed that staying decent all the time is nigh on impossible. Besides, it’s just skin, he doesn’t really understand why everyone makes such a big deal out of it in the first place. 



Half an hour later and it’s a miracle that the tower is still standing. They’re in various states of inebriation and undress; Hoseok fairly drunk having only removed his shirt and socks, Taehyung slightly tipsy sitting in nothing but his boxers.

Hoseok has decided that this round he’s going to wave his shot and remove another layer. Taehyung watches him place a brick precariously on top of the highly unstable tower before pulling his vest over his head and flopping back to the floor. 

Hoseok is a rosy cheeked, loose lipped, giggly drunk; peering round the Jenga tower to where Taehyung is trying desperately to focus on the game at hand. 

The thing about Jung Hoseok, Taehyung has decided, is that he’s way more distracting than anyone gives him credit for. He’s muscular without being ripped, pretty without going flower boy and right now his hair is temptingly ruffled without being messy. All unintentional of course, Hoseok is subtle. 

The devil’s in the detail, and tonight Taehyung is feeling observant. Maybe it’s the alcohol, he’s not had much, just enough to give him a slight buzz, only where it normally just makes him feel disoriented, tonight he feels bold. 

"S’your turn," Hoseok mumbles. If Taehyung has been staring, then he’s too drunk to notce. 
Taehyung reaches forward to take a brick from the bottom of the tower, knowing that there is no way it will have any structural integrety left once he’s done. Sure enough, the bricks begin to fall before he’s even fully removed it. 

Hoseok stares at the table for a moment, then he’s doubled over laughing like it’s the funnierst thing he’s ever seen, 

"What d’ya do that for? Could’a taken one from the top….would’a been fine…" his words are slurred from the alcohol and his carefully cultivated Seoul accent is begining to crack. It’s adorable, Taehyung laughs right along with him.

The final brick is still in Taehyung’s hand. Supposedly he has to take five shots one after the other as a penalty for making the tower fall but he doubts Hoseok is going to make him do it, but he’s not going to get away without at least taking the punishment for this brick. 
"What does it say?" Hoseok rests his head on the table and peers up at Taehyung, his sides still shaking slightly from laughing. 

Taehyung doesn’t look at the brick, he doesn’t even miss a beat, “kiss me,”

"I…I didn’t write that on any of them…"

"Does that mean you’re not going to do it?"

For a moment there is silence, Hoseok has stopped laughing and is staring at Taehyung slackjawed - possibly in disbelief, possibly just because he’s drunk.

Then he’s leaning over the ruins of the Jenga tower, reaching out to steady himself on Taehyung’s shoulder, 

"Of course I’m going to do it," he mumbles, his fingers twisting in Taehyung’s hair and closing the distance between their lips. 

Taehyung reaches out to cup Hoseok’s cheek and the brick falls from his fist to the pile below. He doesn’t know what it said but it doesn’t matter when Hoseok tastes so much better than alcohol.