I'll take you with me.

Waiting Autumn.

“What’s this?” She asked, shaking the card between her fingers. Lee Joe stopped stirring and turned around, with a cup of water in his hand. Sipping it, the young man tilted his head as he made eye contact. She asked again.

 

 

“It’s my savings. You can take half but I’m donating the rest to the park. He explained while he tilted the glass back and forth, b the water around the edge. “What?!!” her eyes bulged as her furrowed brows tightened even more. “You’ve got to be kidding me. Lee, you’re not dead yet. Please…”her tone died down as the older woman choked on her breath. “Don’t do this…” It was barely a whisper. Lee Joe walked around the table and pulled her into a warm, loving hug. Her soft, sweet smelling cologne made him mad. He’ll miss it the most he thought.

 

 

“You wanted to go to Africa right? Help people and have your honeymoon. I won’t ask why, since well… Nah. Just take it, you’re a great nurse and..”

 

 

“An amazing sister. I love you and I’m so thankful we were reunited.” His tears dwelled painfully as he pecked her shoulder. He would miss his sister the most. “Stop saying goodbye, you bastard.” She cursed but it was barely a sentence. Her voice was wrecked and her nose was clogged, while snot ran down her lips. “Just don’t. 14 years aren’t enough, I need more. I want more Lee… Why? Why? We tried so hard to get back to each other…”

 

 

“I know. But at least, at least… We did have time.” He paused, calming down the raging emotions stirring up inside. “Thanks to fate, I could go home to you instead of that foster home. You have no idea how thankful I am.”

“During all those years, I loved you Lee Ann.” With her name laced under his frail breath, tears streamed mercilessly down.

 

 

 

 

The clock ticked. Lee Joe gulped down his tea nervously, eyes peering around the streets. It was Friday morning and the street was unusually packed. The coffee shop was not an exception. He barely found a table, all the way up on the third floor demanding all his vain strength to climb up the stairs. His finger instinctively crawled up to his collar bones, pressing gently on the milky flesh as his lungs burned hotter. He was already in pain.

 

 

Then the chair shrieked, dragged against the cold concrete. Autumn sat down, looking entirely different. His brownish, red locks were pulled to the side and he was wearing a white shirt. It was neatly ironed and crisp looking.

 

 

“Hi. Waiting for someone?” the taller asked, smirking in a devilish manner. Lee Joe rolled his eyes. They stood up after a while and started walking, slowly pacing themselves against the current of people. Not a single soul knew that Autumn was there, they just kept on walking through him as if he was a scrawny ghost. Seeing it, the smaller clipped on his hands free and convinced everyone that he was just having a decent phone conversation, when really, he was talking to a creature of the unseen.

 

 

Being called crazy was annoying.

 

 

“Why suddenly the streets? Can’t we just head back to the park?” Lee Joe whined, trashing the leaves around with his left foot. “It’s nice. To walk and see people up close.” Autumn answered, but he never really looked at any. “Actually, I want to take a walk with you. It’s been a while since we did this. You remember? On your fifteenth birthday, we took a long walk.” The taller spoke in a smile, brushing his red hair back and looking far into the street. “You were offended that no one apologized to me for bumping me around. Haha.” Autumn giggled, amused with the memory. “Yeah, it still offends me actually.”

 

 

Lee Joe confessed, pulling the taller behind him as he let a man pass through. “That’s why it’s unfair. It’s unfair that you’re the one dying Lee. You always thought about others and you have the biggest heart. You’re selfless.” the latter spoke, pulling Lee Joe back and stopping just beside the road. “Let me save you.” His tone was sharp and piercing as he leaned closer to Lee Joe, with his glossy hazel eyes burning with determination. For once, the latter had looked godly.

 

 

“But I want your love. Not to be saved.”

 

 

Lee Joe held out his hand, cupping the latter’s cheeks and though Autumn felt chilly to the touch, he steeled himself and smiled as genuinely as possible. He wanted the god to see his heart and what he wanted. “Autumn, answer my question. Will you stay with me until the end?”

 

 

He was smiling and yet he was scared to the bone. It was as if Autumn couldn’t understand his desperate wish, his weak mortal wish. Tears cascaded down his cheeks but he stood strong, smiling and being gentle. And like a glass vault, Autumn chipped and ruptured.

 

 

“I don’t want that you idiot! I don’t want you dead! It’s childish and selfish but I don’t care! Because I love you, I do…” there was no more coldness in his voice, just purely sadness and remorse. Deep inside, Autumn was scattered and blown to pieces. His white collar drenched in tears as his eyes turned red, “I always do.”

 

 

“I fell for you when you were a child and I fell for every other day that we met. I fell for you when you breathe or when you leaned on me with your chest rising up and down. I fell in love with your words; I fell for the way your heart beats…”

 

 

“Oh god Lee, I fell so deep and hard. I’m scared it’s might not even be love.” He was all over the place, barely breathing and speaking. There was nothing but agony and pain covering his face, all torn up in front of the smaller. And for once, Lee Joe hated destiny. It was a part of Autumn he never knew existed. It was a part that loved him to death.

 

 

But he saw it too late. There was barely any time left for him. He was dying, right there and then.

 

 

“That why Au… You have to give them all to me before I’m gone. Love me as deeply as you want and when the time comes, all this feelings...”

 

 

“I’ll take them with me. I’ll take you with me.” He fought well. That gentle smile was still on his face as he pulled Autumn’s head close to his neck and gave the latter the warmest, biggest hug. “Even when I’m dead Au, I’ll always see you.” There was no more despair in his eyes; he overcame the desolation of death and its cruel means. He held Autumn long and proud, feeling blessed as he rubbed the latter’s back. He wanted to soothe the pain in both of their hearts. He wanted an embrace so heartfelt, it would last an eternity.