The Beginning of the End

Taking Chances

"You're... Breaking up with me?"

Taemin doesn't understand. Was this some sort of prank? Are they filming his reaction so they can all look at it in the future and laugh everything off? If they were, it wasn't a very funny joke. Not funny at all.

"You're nice and cute, Taemin-ah," Minho's voice was cold and flat. Don't call me that. "But you didn't honestly think I was taking you seriously right?" His lips twisted into a cruel smirk. "Did you fall in love with me? Or were you in love with me even before we hooked up? Coz it's all just a bet."

A bet.

Taemin looked into the eyes of the people around him- his friends, or at least he thought they were. He could only see amusement and pity.

Pity for the little freshman who fell madly in love with the star athlete.

"I..." Taemin swallowed. He couldn't find his voice. "I see." Walk away. Now. Before you burst into tears and make a fool of yourself. "I... Minho-hyung?" His traitorous mouth wouldn't stop itself.

The taller guy raised an eyebrow, his lips still with that hateful smirk.

Don't say it! If you still have some pride left in yourself, don't you dare say it! "Did you even like me?"

There was a flicker of something in Minho's eyes, and Lee Taemin's heart surged with hope. Bu then someone in the crowd scoffed, "Pathetic." A couple more people snickered, and his heart sank.

Minho's eyes were stone. "Taemin-ah, didn't you hear me say it was a bet?"

Taemin stared at him for a few more heartbeats, wondering if the great guy who was taking care of him for the past few weeks was all just an act. When Minho parted his lips again to say something hurtful, Taemin took a step back.

And another.

And another.

One, two.

The gawking crowd parted for him.

Taemin could feel his heart breaking, and his treacherous eyes were filling with unwanted tears. Don't. Just a couple more steps and you're out. Don't show him how much he hurt you.

"Aww, he's not going to actually start crying, isn't he?"

Taemin ran.

&

It has been two weeks since that day, and Taemin doesn't know how he could pick up his life back. He doesn't understand how everything could go downhill so fast. Just several months ago, he came into First High School and being the charming student that he was, he got accepted right into the most popular clique. He was cute and talented in dancing, and all these things made other people surround him like moths to a flame.

Everyone wanted to be his friend.

Then came Choi Minho who swept him off his feet with his wide eyes and big smile and all around charisma.

Taemin knew he was a goner.

When Minho asked him out, he almost couldn't believe it. But the taller boy had been so sweet and always took his time in assuring Taemin how beautiful and talented he was...

Taemin shook his head violently to rid his mind of any further thoughts. He would never be able to get over that stupid frog at this rate. He needed to think of something else.

He took a deep breath and leaned over the railing. It was almost evening, the view of the setting sun was spectacular. He is glad nobody ever goes to the rooftop. For the past two weeks, this has only been his refuge from the prying eyes and pitiful smiles of his schoolmates.

Choi Minho being who he is, the whole school knows what happened few hours after the incident.

Stop thinking about him again!

Taemin sighed and let his head rest on his arms. "Why did you have to do that, Minho?" He whispered brokenly, a few tears falling from his eyes.

Huh. He didn't think he had any tears left at all.

Then there was a warmth at his back, arms wrapped around his waist, and he was pulled back into a strong chest.

Taemin's eyes shot wide open.

"Because Choi Minho is an idiot who only thinks about himself and doesn't know a good thing when it's staring at him in the face," a deep voice  breathed into his ear.

Taemin shivered, which caused the other boy to chuckle softly. The sound made goosebumps rise all over his skin. What is wrong with me? Taemin tried to twist in the embrace so he could see the stranger's face, but the other held him tight and pressed a kiss into Taemin's neck.

The freshman froze. Did the guy really just-

"Sweet," the stranger breathed. "That Minho really is an idiot."

Taemin finally got his limbs to work, and he jerked himself away from the guy. He took a couple of steps and turned around. "What is wrong with you..." He gasped.

Blonde hair.

Dark hazel eyes.

And a half-smile on those perfect lips.

"Hello Taemin. It's nice to finally meet you," he said in that sinful voice.

Taemin's knees weakened. Now he wasn't the type to listen to rumors, but he has heard about the mysterious senior that everyone apparently wants but no one has ever gotten close to.

The perfectly chiseled profile.

The strength in that lean form.

The deep sinful voice.

He was the second-ranked student in the whole school, an honorary member of the student council, and in the months since Taemin first entered the grounds of First High school, he has only ever seen the guy once.

Minho had his arm around Taemin's shoulder while they were walking to the taller boy's basketball practice when Taemin noticed a flash of yellow in the corner of his eye. He turned his head and saw the profile of the most attractive guy he has ever seen. Well, except for Minho. "Oh," he couldn't help but breathe out.

Minho noticed and looked at the direction he was staring at. His eyes narrowed. "Lee Jinki-sshi."

Taemin blinked at the tone and looked at his boyfriend. "Is that his name? You don't like him?"

If possible, Minho's eyes narrowed further. "I don't care about him. I don't understand how other people find him so attractive."

Taemin looked at the guy again and was so surprised to see him surrounded by a lot of male and female seniors. "Well, I kinda see their point," he murmured, still staring at the guy. He really really liked Minho, but there was something about Lee Jinki that won't make him stop looking.

Minho didn't hear him but he pulled Taemin closer. "Now don't you ever talk to that guy, ne Taemin-ah? You only like your Minho-hyung right?"

Taemin blinked again and looked at his boyfriend. "You have to work on your aegyo, hyung," he replied teasingly, then gave him a small peck on the cheek. "But yes, Taemin only likes you!" He laughed, the mysterious Lee Jinki forgotten.

Only once, until now.

"L-lee J-jinki-sshi!" Taemin stuttered. "What- why- how do you know my name?" That seemed the easiest question to ask.

The senior smiled, and Taemin finally realized why Minho wanted him to stay away. Lee Jinki was dangerous. Very dangerous. "You knew mine," he murmured. "That would have been an unfair advantage if I didn't." He started to move closer and again Taemin was frozen. He stopped a hairsbreadth away then leaned forward until Taemin could feel his breath on his cheek. "Are you scared of me, Taemin-ah?" His tone was amused.

The name snapped him out of his frozen state. "Don't call me that," he said angrily, stepping away from him. "What do you want?"

Jinki tilted his head, seemingly confused as to why he was backing away, but then his smile widened, his eyes turning into small crescents.

Taemin could feel his heart beating faster. Because of fear? Or something else?

"I want to help you."

Taemin frowned and ignored the loud pounding of his heart. "Help me with what?"

Lee Jinki stepped closer again and cupped his cheek, his fingers wiping away the tearstains. His hazel eyes were dark. "I'm going to help you get revenge on Choi Minho."

&

Taemin laughed, the mysterious Lee Jinki forgotten.

He didn't see the senior stare at his retreating back, a frown tugging at his lips.


TADA! First ever k-pop story that has seen the light of day! I've been lurking around in the site for who knows how long and I finally got the guts to write my own Ontae to satisfy the feels~ what do you guys feel about the chapter length? Too long, short, or just right? ;)

If the premise seems familiar to you, then please let me know if I have unknowingly stamped on another awesome author's rights. I'll be sure to give credit where it's due!

Here's a picture of Jinki for you guys~ I SOOOO love him blonde <3

Mysterious Onew

Sooooo... Show me some love and tell me your ideas! *winkwink*